• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

As a Legion fan, I sure am glad these ruggers have re-signed with San Diego for the 2022 season.

1640659697213.png

Last edited:
Just looking at last years MLR table, two questions strike me.

1. What has happened to Seattle? (who were strongest in the early years)

2. How are Toronto so weak, given they presumably have first refusal on a log of Canadian players so probably don't suffer the same level of talent spread as the US MLR sides do with getting access to the best US players?

Just looking at last years MLR table, two questions strike me.

1. What has happened to Seattle? (who were strongest in the early years)

2. How are Toronto so weak, given they presumably have first refusal on a log of Canadian players so probably don't suffer the same level of talent spread as the US MLR sides do with getting access to the best US players?
Seattle lost a lot of those players that earned them MLR championships in the first two seasons. Some are playing for other MLR teams or in other leagues overseas for more money. And Toronto played all of their games on the road last season due to tough Covid-19 regulations in Canada. They shared ATL's pitch in Georgia for their home games, but in reality all of their games were roadies since they're from Toronto. That had to be tough on the players being away from their families and friends in Canada for 5 months.

Last edited:
Seattle lost a lot of those players that earned them MLR championships in the first two seasons. Some are playing for other MLR teams or in other leagues overseas for more money. And Toronto played all of their games on the road last season due to tough Covid-19 regulations in Canada. They shared ATL's pitch in Georgia for their home games, but in reality all of their games were roadies since they're from Toronto. That had to be tough on the players being away from their families and friends in Canada for 5 months.
Thanks Phil, that all makes perfect sense. Fingers crossed for the Arrows this season. Although I'm not sure the prospect of Toronto in early February will have fans flocking to the stadium. I see the average temperature range at that time is -7 Celsius up to a tropical 0 degrees. :D

Three of Toronto's four games in February are on the road. MLR has been helping them out the best they can since the Arrows joined the league to avoid as many of those frozen pitch games as possible.

Last edited:
They tilt the schedule south in the early months of the season for both fans in the north and the south ( nobody wants to be outside in Toronto in February and nobody wants to be outside in New Orleans in May or June

Glad to see continued gradual expansion and, if I'm right, no MLR side has yet folded?

Is there a side(s) with an up and coming US head coach or is it all mainly coaches from more established rugby nations? A side with a bright US coach is the sort of side I'd most likely take an interest in as a neutral (despite family connections in NY/NJ).

There have been no clubs that have folded. Atlanta has a us coach, Scott Lawrence. San Diego did last year with Zac Test serving as co head coach

There have been no clubs that have folded. Atlanta has a us coach, Scott Lawrence. San Diego did last year with Zac Test serving as co head coach

The MLR Colorado Raptors folded after the shortened 2020 season. There's now a club team called American Raptors at their pitch in Glendale, Colorado.

Last edited:
They don't count lol. They didn't fold they threw a tantrum and left

Glad to see continued gradual expansion and, if I'm right, no MLR side has yet folded?

Is there a side(s) with an up and coming US head coach or is it all mainly coaches from more established rugby nations? A side with a bright US coach is the sort of side I'd most likely take an interest in as a neutral (despite family connections in NY/NJ).
The Colorado Raptors (previously Glendale Raptors) folded after the 2020 season. Some people are trying to get a team added in the Midwest, possibly in Chicago. Nothing official yet.

They don't count lol. They didn't fold they threw a tantrum and left
The nut job owner threw a tantrum, back stabbed their loyal fans and folded the team. The club team playing there instead has different leadership.

It was a mess thank God most of the guys got picked up by other teams. It was shameful. It really was. Now the guys in the club side are turning up for MLR sides

It was a mess thank God most of the guys got picked up by other teams. It was shameful. It really was. Now the guys in the club side are turning up for MLR sides
I felt bad for their fans. They were very loyal to the team and very nice to me and a caravan of other Legion fans who made the road trip there in 2019.

Yeah that's a shame to. A lot of the fans were with them when they were a club side before MLR then to have ownership do them like that

Latest posts