• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

Figured I would create this as the season starts tomorrow.

7 Teams This Season

Austin Elite Rugby- Formerly the Austin Huns who won the Men's Division 1 Championship last year. Todd Clever (aka most annoying rugby player ever) is on this team. Suniula brothers are there most well known players.

Glendale Raptors- Denver, Colorado. Historically one of the strongest amateur clubs in the states. Have Eagles at both halfback positions.

Houston SaberCats- Brand new club. Probably have had the strongest social media force and have had a few thousand at all their games. Made up of unknowns.

NOLA Gold- New Orleans Club founded just for this comp. Only interesting this is they have a couple Chileans.

San Diego Legion- No one knew anything about this club until a month ago. Turns out they have a quite a bit of talent. Our 7s team trains outside San Diego so a couple guys from there signed with Legion. Cam Dolan might be the most well known player in the comp.

Seattle Seawolves- Took a lot of players from Seattle Saracens, an American team that plays in a Canadian Comp. Have the other Suniula brother and a bunch of Canucks.

Utah Warriors aka the PI Retirement home- Paul Lasike is a former NFL player. He joins Kurt Morath, the former Tongan flyhalf on the team.

1 Team Confirmed Next Year
Rugby United New York (placeholder name)- Coached by former Eagles coach Tolkien. Irish ownership. Combination of Old Blue and NYAC, two of the best amateur clubs. Have played friendlies this year.

Possible 2019 Season teams

Ontario Arrows- Professional setup of Ontario Blues Rep team. Have played exhibitions this season.

Dallas Griffins- Mike Ford will start coaching them next year. Have been playing D1 Club rugby this year.

Mystic River derived Club- From Boston, have played friendlies against MLR teams in addition to Mystic River's D1 schedule.

Vancouver- Was announced it would happen but we haven't heard anything since.

Game Week #1

All games available on MLR's Facebook Page... remember you aren't watching for the talent you're watching to let MLR know that you care.

April 21st-
3PM Eastern- NOLA @ Houston Sabercats
5PM Eastern: Austin Elite @ Glendale Raptors- Really wish Colorado would have hosted this game today.

April 22nd
8PM Eastern- San Diego Legion @ Seattle Seawolves

Last edited:
Hope it is a success.
Needs team in NY to become a success, while Ontario would add extra talent from Canucks into mix.

9 teams for 2019; 3 conferences of 3, H&A in conference and H or A v rest, giving a 10 game season.
Play offs, conference winners plus wildcard winner.

2020 10 teams adding team from Boston, go to 2 conferences of 5, season 13 matches plus play offs

2024 after World Cup, add Dallas and ANOther to give 12 teams and a 16 game season.

By this time it would be a success and maybe be able to play intercontinental friendly v European clubs and Comp v STh American Clubs.

Should be a lot better than the failed Pro Rugby experiment. ;)
Curious to know whether MLR could replace or compete Top League of Japan for some marquee players to earn quick money between the seasons of major leagues.

I want this to succeed so much, I've always thought a strong USA in sport tends to mean good things for everyone. Throwing my support behind the Gold, support the Saints in the NFL so makes sense to support the city in rugby too (also because Tampa, where my NHL and loose MLB support lies, doent have a team)

A few Irish guys involved in this by the looks of things. Only one I recognised was Darragh Leader's brother, and a few guys who didn't quite make it with provinces in the current teams. I'll take a bigger interest when the New York team joins as they have Shaggy and Eddie O'Sullivan advising, a big rake of Irish guys (a couple U.S or Canadian capped), an Irish joint owner and they'll be playing in the NY Gaelic Grounds.
Can someone tell me who isn't at all in the know why this is set to succeed compared to the previous attempts at a pro American League, bar that Pro Rugby was a complete mess?

Harley Davidson

ef8.jpg

I'm rooting for the Seattle Seawolves because I reckon they will be the main force and i need to hop on that bandwagon so i can say i was a day 1 supporter.

A few Irish guys involved in this by the looks of things. Only one I recognised was Darragh Leader's brother, and a few guys who didn't quite make it with provinces in the current teams. I'll take a bigger interest when the New York team joins as they have Shaggy and Eddie O'Sullivan advising, a big rake of Irish guys (a couple U.S or Canadian capped), an Irish joint owner and they'll be playing in the NY Gaelic Grounds.
Can someone tell me who isn't at all in the know why this is set to succeed compared to the previous attempts at a pro American League, bar that Pro Rugby was a complete mess?

Guessing becuase they seem to be better organise and have the USA rugby full support (I think).

It's better organized. A couple of the clubs have actual brands and had existing leadership from beforehand. We also have a really good broadcasting deal in the states compared to PRO.

PRO was a joke run by a single weasel while MLR has multiple owners who actually care about rugby.

Once we get some east coast teams it will get more exposure.

I'm really disappointed the Austin Huns, changes to Austin Elite instead of the Austin Stun Huns.

Yeah Seawolves is a good name although I have no idea what a sew old would look like
I hope the New York team gets some sweet branding like the New York thunderfoxes or Cataclysm Geese

Yeah Seawolves is a good name although I have no idea what a sew old would look like
I hope the New York team gets some sweet branding like the New York thunderfoxes or Cataclysm Geese
Apparently it's what native Americans called orcas. An anti-Exeter marketing strategy

I'm coming for you Seattle sea creature Bandwagons. Hawk or wolf I don't care. This is the first meme in the war between us.
28tipc.jpg

Looking at animals native to NY I'll be mad if they call themselves the NY Grey Squirrels, I want any club I support to be strictly pro red squirrels.

I would quite like if they just went with New York City RFC but that's not very American, as long as they don't go with New York Irish or something like that I'll be happy.

Looking at animals native to NY I'll be mad if they call themselves the NY Grey Squirrels, I want any club I support to be strictly pro red squirrels.

I would quite like if they just went with New York City RFC but that's not very American, as long as they don't go with New York Irish or something like that I'll be happy.
As if an Irish owner would suffer the glorification of yeoman land stealing Brit tan squirrels.

Latest posts