• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

And a rank logo to boot

Adam Gilchrist, the shameless egomaniac owns Austin Gilgronis and also LA Giltinis. Can you imagine if he ran Major League Rugby? The logo would probably look something like this. :rolleyes:

101200979_10157569028925805_3025508433706090496_o.jpg

Last edited:
I know things are a bit more lax in California but this is a new level of crazy

This Gilchrist guy needs to be stopped,
Gilgronis was bad enough but Giltinis as well?

Does he not realise how terrible they sound? He's not making him/them look better by doing this. Would literally be better if he just shoehorned his full name. Los Angeles Gilchrist RFC is way more palatable

I know things are a bit more lax in California but this is a new level of crazy

Adam Gilchrist (not the famous cricket player by the same name) owns the LA team and gave it and the Austin team those crazy names. Both of them are Aussies. And from what I've been reading on social media the people in LA don't like the name Giltinis or the logo either. Lame is universal, and Giltinis is really lame. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I live in southern California and heard on a Sports Report yesterday that the LA Giltinis plan on playing in the LA Coliseum which has a capacity of more than 78,000. It's going to look really odd when they have a crowd of 5,000 (if they're lucky) in that giant stadium pictured below. They should have worked out a deal to play at one/or both of the two pro soccer stadiums in the LA area. They hold 22,000 & 27,000 respectively and would be a much better fit for rugby. I hope playing in the LA Coliseum works out, but I have my doubts.

LA-Coliseum-Aerial.jpg

Last edited:
I live in southern California and heard on a Sports Report yesterday that the LA Giltinis plan on playing in the LA Coliseum which has a capacity of more than 78,000. It's going to look really odd when they have a crowd of 5,000 (if they're lucky) in that giant stadium pictured below. They should have worked out a deal to play at one/or both of the two pro soccer stadiums in the LA area. They hold 22,000 & 27,000 respectively and would be a much better fit for rugby. I hope playing in the LA Coliseum works out, but I have my doubts.

LA-Coliseum-Aerial.jpg

I don't think there is a rugby club in the world that could fill that. It'll be like watching Super Rugby and their empty stadiums, but worse

I don't think there is a rugby club in the world that could fill that. It'll be like watching Super Rugby and their empty stadiums, but worse

You're right, and it's a good comparison. USC sells out the LA Coliseum on occasion, but that's college football which is very popular in America.

Austin Gilgronis was the dumbest name ever for a rugby team...until this one came along. :rolleyes:

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/20...ppd8FjDo0_NbRWUw__QEWvCDzTb0A8gQZOe_akrOiCQm0

la-giltinis-logo-MLR-2020-header.jpg
Our crew debated it on Rugby PickEm .... some people agree with the fact that it looks and sounds utterly ridiculous. But, and hear me out here ... , isn't the fact that he's injecting millions of dollars into a young, fledgling league somewhat of a good thing?

We're entering a recession, and Gilchrist's $ is as green as anyone else's. PRO Rugby failed because Doug Schoninger's bank account was peanuts (and many other reasons). Should we just accept the "ego money" and embrace it the upside it can bring? Just a thought.

http://www.rugbypickem.com/2020/06/the-giltinis-debate.html

Our crew debated it on Rugby PickEm .... some people agree with the fact that it looks and sounds utterly ridiculous. But, and hear me out here ... , isn't the fact that he's injecting millions of dollars into a young, fledgling league somewhat of a good thing?

We're entering a recession, and Gilchrist's $ is as green as anyone else's. PRO Rugby failed because Doug Schoninger's bank account was peanuts (and many other reasons). Should we just accept the "ego money" and embrace it the upside it can bring? Just a thought.

http://www.rugbypickem.com/2020/06/the-giltinis-debate.html
on the surface and in the short term yes, its a good thing...but its not good for rugby in the US in general, a team with such a cringe worthy name will never attract the long term passionate fans, if you look at all the oldest sports teams or the ones known for the huge or passionate fan bases...none have stupid names...people just dont like saying "i bleed aqua and pink, i love those Giltini's"....in the end they will both fail and be re branded

also, logo i a martini glass...something you famously wont be able to buy on the terraces

on the surface and in the short term yes, its a good thing...but its not good for rugby in the US in general, a team with such a cringe worthy name will never attract the long term passionate fans, if you look at all the oldest sports teams or the ones known for the huge or passionate fan bases...none have stupid names...people just dont like saying "i bleed aqua and pink, i love those Giltini's"....in the end they will both fail and be re branded

also, logo i a martini glass...something you famously wont be able to buy on the terraces

I live in southern California and the Giltinis have already become a running joke on LA sports radio, TV, newspapers and social media. Adam Gilchrist (the Gil in Gilgronis and Giltinis) is worse than the other famous egomaniac Donald Trump when it comes to sports. At least Trump didn't name the New York/New Jersey Generals of the old USFL after himself. But he did kill the league by convincing a majority of owners to move from Spring to Fall in a failed attempt to take on the NFL (there's a ESPN documentary about it). Sports history aside, I agree with you Jabby.

Last edited:
I noticed that MLR doesn't have the Giltinis logo on the header of their website with the other teams, but they do have the Jackals who joined MLR after the Giltinis. Could it be that they want the Giltinis to change their stupid name? I hope so.

o5INUa_F1ZpxHtqkG-34zEjFkcx_pGKcQUnRuMWQNjqSsjtF9HmAr2j40yj8BPWaR9NnJpG6K8vPHz9w8JGm0odR6dgvyolLBJNAZ3CHajwl_kg7JeLHihGBzdgd-v3nDvMatZxpXhtyKle29S6rkb_gBtaYOQDdffWJcxOdipTn_ntRNr9cB7lShRYPcu-DeZ0iwTY1as0on8spPWnU2B8FqWW6T7SP8-Ko5WVbqQQpRKAeW_TOlyvWtKk_DxY_XyFHjjCR608eRkD9k_2cIrWdh8XyjuZ7twqeuaQP27kPFH6O_GELkYxr-cdfmLDik3qY63YWdZp3azLlywuLf77XvH1i5LKb3KQ9b5TLwuycSYqbM8ZdBOWPOeXvxBjdflsbbpNmJc3Ksiqxrd9NIzBWLFdt9WN7RzRc6k9VfS9VoYycdjmGRbIcQXvFtxjQ193sj1JACkERvmpuZSUjBU51roi9oyAEk5H_-AeUvhDDkGjvB2DW33yA5RN5RGJWl16cLDRMPKR_iQbTpsPgiZJZHww1rXfRQqJN8bSL5fb4P3BpED8iDS9Y4j_piCwC8Rfg8ZlNpvzvc1TklfH4WKAegz30EUwM2Qc_R3ENFNKY5IiWk9rIyvyFtuqLXX9y2T-sUbwCbRleCoXQe2Sw7mOXN_mak4wYs0iUc-LKL7rt-AM6-dcNFeghfWkJ9g=w1365-h258-no

Last edited:
Will be exciting to see if any of these players, after their initial contract, move to europe or remain in the US and grow the game there that way

All that money in Europe is hard to turn down. Hopefully the MLR will keep growing and they'll have more revenue to entice the locally grown players to stay in the US. The MLR Commissioner recently stated that as many as five more new teams may join in the next couple of years bringing the total to 18.

All that money in Europe is hard to turn down. Hopefully the MLR will keep growing and they'll have more revenue to entice the locally grown players to stay in the US. The MLR Commissioner recently stated that as many as five more new teams may join in the next couple of years bringing the total to 18.

Very true, hopefully it continues to grow. Would an increase in teams lead to a dilution of the brand or is there the talent available to fill that increase?

Latest posts