• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Marseille close to signing Lomu

Yeah Lekso, I think a little of it. It's all speculation, but from what I've seen of him on our local news and television, a lot would depend on how well he is trained and toughened up. Last time he was a little injury prone due to average conditioning. I think this grade sounds better for him to start with and if he has a good season maybe he could grab 5 or 6 tries and maybe a couple of them could be pretty good.

I can't see him bumping off 2-3 defenders liek he used to though. His biggest problem will be who he is. Everyone will want to say that they tackled Lomu and that paints a big target on his back sometimes. He might create space for other players, by drawing in defenders.

In his current state I don't think he'd be playing full games, I'd say 50-60mins.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 30 2009, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah Lekso, I think a little of it. It's all speculation, but from what I've seen of him on our local news and television, a lot would depend on how well he is trained and toughened up. Last time he was a little injury prone due to average conditioning. I think this grade sounds better for him to start with and if he has a good season maybe he could grab 5 or 6 tries and maybe a couple of them could be pretty good.

I can't see him bumping off 2-3 defenders liek he used to though. His biggest problem will be who he is. Everyone will want to say that they tackled Lomu and that paints a big target on his back sometimes. He might create space for other players, by drawing in defenders.

In his current state I don't think he'd be playing full games, I'd say 50-60mins.[/b]

Well I agree you bro

I really think in a same way

He is going to be more Running Icon than running valuable player

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Jun 28 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do any of our French members know much about Marseille Rugby Club? I am a long supporter of Jonah and follower of his career, so any information would be much appreciated.[/b]
Marseille-Vitrolles is in 'Federale 1', the third division in France. At this level you are still an amateur. To become pro and climb to the second division ('ProD2') you must win or at least reach the final of a tounament called "Trophée Jean Prat". It's a very tough competition: 48 teams are involved at the beginning, there are different phases.... (round robin, playoff, etc)

Marseille reached the second tour this year (including the 24 best team) and they lost all their 6 games but they expect to improve by signing some old stars: Isitolo Maka (4th time All Black and ex-Auckland Blues, ex-Toulouse...) was the first one and now Lomu. Marseille is mainly a place of football (I guess the europeans knows well "l'Olympique de Marseille") but they love rugby too.
When le XV de France are playing at the football stadium 'le Stade Velodrome' (60 000 seats) it's always sold out and we are nearly invincible in this stadium. (won against New-Zealand, Australia, SA, 2003's England... and only one loss against Argentina, of course)

Toulon (the city is near to Marseille) are now playing some prestigious Top 14 games in this stadium too and it's a success. Like Lomu said this is the 2nd biggest city in France, and they love rugby, it would be nice to see them having a good team in the second or first division but it's gonna take a couple of years IMO. 

To me it's a nice marketing call, I don't think Lomu will be very useful on the field but after this signing they may catch others big fishes. And it's the opportunity for Lomu to play some rugby at a low level, without risks (I hope) wich is good for him too !

PS: for the hardcore fan Lomu played at the 'Eden Park Beach Rugby with some others legends, this takes place at the Bercy arena in Paris. This event takes place every year and if he lives in Fance now he will surely be there next year too. Usually the event is scheduled one day before of after the Top 14 Final. (the next one : 29 may 2010)

http://www.edenparkbeachrugby.com/les-joueurs

(and sorry for the double)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 30 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In his current state I don't think he'd be playing full games, I'd say 50-60mins.[/b]
What current state is that? From what I have heard he is fully fit, fitter than what he was at his peak.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Jun 30 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 30 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What current state is that? From what I have heard he is fully fit, fitter than what he was at his peak.
[/b][/quote]

I'm not seeing him on New Zealand television every day, and I suppose he could be significantly fitter than he's been for a while, but he is still 34 and has had a kidney transplant and a gruelling struggle to comeback in the first place. No-one in New Zealand is expecting him to seriously be fully fit, with all his skills back. If that was the case, he'd be able to play in the French Top 14 rather than Div 3 surely?

I'm sure the man himself would rather be modest about this, as this comeback appears to be more about the love of the game than money or a return to top flight rugby. He wasn't playing full games very often for Cardiff and certainly didn't for North Harbour, so I'd say my 50-60 mins might even be a slightly kind assumption.

I'm not bagging the guy at all, I admire him greatly, but I don't want to see him saddled with big expectations when it appears he just wants to enjoy rugby again.

I'd dearly love to be wrong though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 30 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Jun 30 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 30 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

I'm not seeing him on New Zealand television every day, and I suppose he could be significantly fitter than he's been for a while, but he is still 34 and has had a kidney transplant and a gruelling struggle to comeback in the first place. No-one in New Zealand is expecting him to seriously be fully fit, with all his skills back. If that was the case, he'd be able to play in the French Top 14 rather than Div 3 surely?

I'm sure the man himself would rather be modest about this, as this comeback appears to be more about the love of the game than money or a return to top flight rugby. He wasn't playing full games very often for Cardiff and certainly didn't for North Harbour, so I'd say my 50-60 mins might even be a slightly kind assumption.

I'm not bagging the guy at all, I admire him greatly, but I don't want to see him saddled with big expectations when it appears he just wants to enjoy rugby again.

I'd dearly love to be wrong though.
[/b][/quote]

Never forget his physical conditions as well

He underwent very serious operations and medical interventions due to very serious problems

The fact he played ever since that days and is now going to play is the real miracle

I'd love to see Lomu back in the game, but realistically he has as much chance of making it big again as Caucau does of being a professional.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Jul 1 2009, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd love to see Lomu back in the game, but realistically he has as much chance of making it big again as Caucau does of being a professional.[/b]

Surely not as little as that! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Jul 1 2009, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd love to see Lomu back in the game, but realistically he has as much chance of making it big again as Caucau does of being a professional.[/b]

I think he will not hesitate to give some amazing tries to crowd

Would love to see Lomu absolutely STEAMROLL over some puny 3rd division French scrum half.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jul 1 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Would love to see Lomu absolutely STEAMROLL over some puny 3rd division French scrum half.[/b]

When he made his first comeback he really should have started in a much lower grade than he chose and did exactly that, trampling fools. The confidence and slightly lower pressure knocks he'd of received would've given huge confidence, like what a boxer starts out with before moving up to real competition.

Does anyone know where I'd be able to watch the Marseille match on the internet on Sunday? Lomu is said to make his debut this weekend.

I'd be very interested 2 see Lomu as well. Has anyone considered a positional change 2 perhaps #8? Because i would have thought his biggest loss would be his speed. That being said I've head the hype that he has made a full recovery, is in the best shape of his life, can run 100m in record time, bench presses more then ever, was shot 9 times in the head and laughed, is the son of Jesus ect...but as much as I'd love to see him back to his amazing self, regardless of past operations, 34 years of age is old for any wing to make a come back, and providing he does do well, you can't seriously hope 4 him to return to All Blacks, or even last a few more seasons.

What is the software that I need to install to watch it? It is not letting me view it ;)

The streams won't be live yet, i think, because kick off isn't until half two (i think at least, that site is normally on french time i think)
For the second link you need to install "streamtorrent" http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File...m-Torrent.shtml - Install that, then click the link and it'll up in that
I use it to watch streams sometimes, the pictures often a bit small, but the quality is all right. Just takes a minute or two to connect when you first load it up

Latest posts