• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Marty Holah signs with Waikato for the 2011 ITM Cup.

dan the man

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Marty Holah signs with Waikato for the 2011 ITM Cup.

Former Waikato All Black Marty Holah is returning home for what may be one last season playing for the province in the national provincial championship.

Holah, 34, has signed with Waikato for the 2011 ITM Cup season after four seasons with Welsh club Ospreys in Swansea, having previously played 73 matches for the Mooloos from 1999-2007, 81 games for the Chiefs, as well as 36 All Black tests.

The hard-working open-side flanker, who was outstanding as a ball pilferer and defender for all his teams in New Zealand, said he had enjoyed his experience with Ospreys on and off the field but felt it was the right time to move back home and be closer to family and friends, as well as enjoy playing for his home province again.

"To be honest I'm just going to see how it all goes," Holah said of whether he was contemplating more than one season for Waikato.

"I'm coming off a long season here and will go straight into another quick season there with Waikato so I'll just have to assess and see how the body's holding up after that but it's been surprisingly good so far.

"The main thing is I'm still enjoying playing rugby and still feel I've got something to offer," he said.

Waikato head coach Chris Gibbes said he and his coaching team were excited to have someone with Holah's experience back in their programme.

"We have some quality young loose forwards coming through and for them to be able to learn off Marty will be invaluable for Waikato rugby long term," Gibbes said.

Because of the condensed structure of this year's ITM Cup due to the timing of Super Rugby and the World Cup, experienced players were needed to help the team get off to the best possible start, he said.

"It will be a massive challenge for Waikato this season and with the leadership he can provide our players and team, Waikato rugby can continue to grow.

"It's great to see a true-blue Waikato man back."

http://www.mooloo.co.nz/News/Marty-Holah-Re-Signs-with-Waikato-Rugby/

Last edited by a moderator:
Been rumoured for a while. Good to see its been confirmed, been a good player for the Ospreys but often went missing in big games.

Yep he's been decent enough for us, but never really did what we paid him the humungadungus $$$$$$ to do.

I thought he was really good for the Osprays, at least from what I saw of him. I'd say he was one of their best players in last years H-Cup.

Yeah, he's getting on, but he's been great and will be sourly missed, even if we do have a promising replacement in Justin Tipuric. I remember his man-of-the-match performance against the Tigers last season where he made more tackles and got more turnovers than the Leiecster back row combined. He was a fantastic signing, but I can totally understand his decisson to go back to his hometown. Good bloke. Even if he does stick his fingers up dogs behinds.

We'll need more than just Holah to come back to replace the mass exodus that's going to happen before the ITM cup kicks off this year. Still ****** off that the NZRU have trimmed the NPC season this year and extended the Super Rugby season. **** attendances at Super Rugby games... It's overkill. Too many games, not enough local pride. They need to put more emphasis back on the NPC.

Holah named in Waikato ITM Cup squad

Waikato ITM Cup pre-season squad:

Latu Talakai, Sam Christie, Navi Sikivou, Josh Tyrell, Marty Holah, Jono Malo, Trent Renata, Frank Halai, Andre Ellison, Josh Olsen, Malcolm Barnes, Vance Elliot, Rena Shuster, Declan O'Donnell, Paul Sweeney, Alex Bradley, Zac Hohneck, Rory Grice, Ted Tauroa, Chris Middleton, Mark Murray, Jono Armstrong, Toby Lynn, Tim Mikkelson, Marcel Cumming-Toone.

Will be good to see O'Donnell & Mikkelson playing 15's again. maybe one of them can make the chiefs next year with Sivivatu on the move.

Good news for Waikato, a good example to the younger players... he's got experience and a good work ethic, I reckon he's always done his best for whoever he has played for.
Although having been away for four years a few of the young players might be thinking Marty who? There's a lot of new players around since he was last here.

I'm sure anyone who has played through the grades in the province will be excited to play along side him.

The strength of an ITM cup team is often determined by who misses out on All Black selection. I think the fact that Donald, Leonard, Aled have missed selection is going to mean Waikato are very strong this year. Looking at last year the fact Donald was with the All Blacks and Slade wasn't I believe was the deciding factor in the end.

Add marty Holah and the 7's guys and it makes things even more interesting.

Alex Bradley was awesome last year too. Must have been close to getting a super contract.

Latest posts