TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_51278433_martyn_williams_huw.jpg

Wales flanker Martyn Williams has signed a one-year extension to his Cardiff Blues contract.

It had been thought that the 98-cap Wales forward would leave the region at the end of the season.

He had, it was understood, been in talks with Premiership side London Wasps after being left out of Wales' Six Nations squad.

"I've signed a year extension and happy that it's all done and dusted," confirmed 35-year-old Williams.

"It's where I wanted to finish off and I've made no secret about that.

"I'm over the moon that the club have come to an agreement that I will have my last season here."

"Peter Thomas [chairman], David Young [director of rugby] and Bob Norster [chief executive] have all worked hard to make this happen and I'm glad that it has all been sorted out."

"In fairness Dai never said that he wanted to release me and I totally understood the club's reasons for not doing things immediately."

"It wasn't a great couple of weeks, with the speculation and not being in the Wales squad, but I've tried to keep my head down and carried on playing for the region.

"I was fortunate that the Blues had some big Magners League games so I could concentrate on them.

"I've been here since 1999, so I didn't really want to go anywhere else, I wanted to finish here, so I'm glad I've been given that opportunity.

"I did weigh everything up, whether to go to play in England or France or completely retire from the game in June.

"However, I'm still feeling well and playing well, and think I have something to offer the Blues next year."

Speaking of being omitted from this year's Six Nations squad, the 98 times capped forward said: "Obviously, it was strange not being involved in the Six Nations and of course you miss it.

"But I didn't have too much time to think about Wales apart from the days of the internationals.

"I went to both home games and enjoyed them as I was a bit more relaxed than usual.

"However, I've enjoyed being in the Blues camp when the internationals were away, even though it was odd."

Young confirmed that it had always been his intention to try to keep Williams at the City Stadium.

"I've repeatedly said that Martyn Williams wasn't definitely leaving the club," he said.

"What I did say was, I would do everything within my power, with the support of Peter Thomas, to keep Martyn here for another year, so I'm delighted that he has agreed."

"Nobody recognises more than me the value and the commitment Martyn has given to the Blues and that should be repaid from us as well.

"Hopefully Martyn will have a great season to finish off his career next year."

"He obviously looks after himself and he's certainly not going to harm his reputation by playing for another season. If he didn't feel he had another year in him, he would be the first to say so."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/cardiff_blues/9432141.stm

Shame he didn't end up here, but fair play to Cardiff for doing the right thing, eventually.
Mind you, this Navidi looks pretty handy and could certainly do with a season of learning from Nugget.

Latest posts