• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Massively Overrated XV

Farrell is overrated by the press, Ford is overrated by his fans
Neither are as good as their cheerleaders would have you believe

That's fair. However, my point is that Farrell is overrated by a far bigger margin.

Farrell is overrated by the press, Ford is overrated by his fans
Neither are as good as their cheerleaders would have you believe
I'm not so sure, I was a fan of Ford but I'd say it was less overrating him and more countering some of the claims being made about him (eg that he is useless in defence because he never smashes anyone, that he can't kick etc). If anything the fact Ford fans have constantly had to defend him would very much indicate he isn't overrated. Nobody talks about Ford as a world beating 10 even his fans. 1 game against Wasps where Hughes ran over him multiple times seemed to override all the times teams didn't run over him, including every single year where the Welsh gleefully told us Roberts would steamroller him (never happened).

Kitschoff
Marx
Cole
itoje
Ryan
Curry
tipuric
Wilson
Du pont
Ford
radradra
Fikou
The Irish guy, what's his name?
Kolbe
That guy that plays fullback but isn't that good

wait, this is the "invitation to troll" thread right? No? Could have fooled me.

Then I'll try again

m vunipola (Or maybe people have realised by now)
Anton Oliver (couldn't think of someone current, but this guys would f up 10 odd line outs per game, and I'm not even exaggerating. So maybe he improved later, but I'm still bitter about those Bledisloe losses)
Sinkler (yay you played first five in high school, good for you)
Wyn jones (he was the worst lock, if not player, on the field every time he took the field on the lions tour of NZ, including the match against the amateur third division team)
Retallick (a legend, but he had a bad couple of years, especially poor last year and people couldn't see it. Failed to clean out rucks properly on a regular basis)
Shields (he's a New Zealander, must be good)
Van der flier (very good, but not so good that one should be blind to seeing anyone else's contribution)
Piccomoles (no longer that good)
Faf (awesome at his best, not so at his worst)
Farrell ( has high, prominent, cheekbones)
Mapimpi (Cool name)
Goodhue (although hype has quietened, perhaps)
tuilagi (get some skills bruh)
Jordan (yeah he's great, but sorry crusaders fans he's not the best player to have ever played the game)
McKenzie (one of my favourite players, he's just so likeable)

Gonna upset some people here but I also think Tuilaga is one of the most overrated.
Every time he's injured and missing ,an almost messianic fervour arises regarding his comeback .
I've seen very little in the past 5 years from him to justify this.
He's almost assumed a semi mythical status.

Are we really questioning who is more hyped out of Ford and Farrell?

Farrell has been hyped WAY beyond his ability for as long as I can remember. He's a good player, who has been constantly described as 'World Class' without ever really showing the individual talent to back it up. In the eyes of most mainstream media, he has somehow managed to become a kicker who never misses, a fierce defender and a mythical leader of men, despite none of those being true. He's effectively been made out to be the heir apparent to Wilkinson despite not being anywhere near as good.

Most casual rugby fans don't get why Ford is playing at 10 while the king of English rugby is shunted out to 12. He literally has no hype.

IMO Ford is underrated whilst Farrell is hugely overrated.
Exactly.
There's room to disagree as to which one is better, generally around whether you prefer better skills or better mentality (or tackling versus defence); but I really don't see any room to disagree as to which one is hyped.

I'm not so sure, I was a fan of Ford but I'd say it was less overrating him and more countering some of the claims being made about him (eg that he is useless in defence because he never smashes anyone, that he can't kick etc). If anything the fact Ford fans have constantly had to defend him would very much indicate he isn't overrated. Nobody talks about Ford as a world beating 10 even his fans. 1 game against Wasps where Hughes ran over him multiple times seemed to override all the times teams didn't run over him, including every single year where the Welsh gleefully told us Roberts would steamroller him (never happened).

Ford was hyped as a kid, but not as an adult. As you say, vast majority of his "hyping" has purely countering the criticisms. Which... is a different definition of the word "hype" than I'm accustomed to.

I think Ford is the definition of a luxury player at international level which is why I threw him in. Any time I've seen England in any match where there's parity in the gain-line battle he's somewhere between inconspicuous and bad. The "perfect" England team would have him at 10 because he is more clinical than Farrell and you'd assume dominance in this scenario but he's not someone I'd trust to start and win 3+ big games in a row. Its a fairly obvious choice in my opinion if you had to select him or Farrell for a squad and I don't think he'd start for any other 6 nations side bar Italy even with Ireland and Wales having problems there.

I think Ford is the definition of a luxury player at international level which is why I threw him in. Any time I've seen England in any match where there's parity in the gain-line battle he's somewhere between inconspicuous and bad. The "perfect" England team would have him at 10 because he is more clinical than Farrell and you'd assume dominance in this scenario but he's not someone I'd trust to start and win 3+ big games in a row. Its a fairly obvious choice in my opinion if you had to select him or Farrell for a squad and I don't think he'd start for any other 6 nations side bar Italy even with Ireland and Wales having problems there.

But then he's not really overrated. I can understand why a player like Ford will get praise from some, and not by others, but that doesn't make him overrated. He's not being over- or underhyped. Just enough.

I think the Vunipola brothers are repeatedly overhyped. And to me they are just as overrated as Farrell, Kolisi, CJ Stander and Scott Barrett.

To me an overrated player is someone being overzealously hyped up, especially by his own club/country's fans, yet there are several areas where the player can improve or where there are other players better than them in the same position they play, or that their direct opposition in the match is better than them.

And to me they are just as overrated as [...] Kolisi
I'm glad you said it, I wanted to but thought I'd be torn limb from limb.

Great captain/talisman/person etc.etc.etc. but pretty average international backrower - people act like he's the greatest to ever take the pitch though

But then he's not really overrated. I can understand why a player like Ford will get praise from some, and not by others, but that doesn't make him overrated. He's not being over- or underhyped. Just enough.

I think the Vunipola brothers are repeatedly overhyped. And to me they are just as overrated as Farrell, Kolisi, CJ Stander and Scott Barrett.

To me an overrated player is someone being overzealously hyped up, especially by his own club/country's fans, yet there are several areas where the player can improve or where there are other players better than them in the same position they play, or that their direct opposition in the match is better than them.

I disagree, he's compared to Russell, Bigger and Farrell so often yet he's barely international standard. Overrated is being rated as better than you are and Ford is rated as more than a squad player by the media and fans.

Personally I think most 10 are overrated by their nations media team though.
Outside of Pollard currently I can't think of a 10 who isn't overrated.

Richie Mo'unga is defo underrated for me
Makes sense considering he learnt everything he knows from a former Crusaders coach who was a massively underrated 10.

Ronan_OGara_bio_pic_1280-1018x726.jpg

I'm glad you said it, I wanted to but thought I'd be torn limb from limb.

Great captain/talisman/person etc.etc.etc. but pretty average international backrower - people act like he's the greatest to ever take the pitch though
When it comes to performance on the field, there are better flankers in SA than him. There is no way that Kolisi is a better rugby player than the Du Preez twins, Marco Van Staden or even Jaco Kriel for that matter.

When it comes to other things, such as leadership, and getting the team together and united, He has the upper hand there.

But even then, there are other guys with the same attributes in the bok team. And when we look at the World Cup team, players like Pollard, Vermeulen, Flouw, Schalk Brits, Beast and Frans Steyn have the same attributes as Kolisi.

Honestly when comes NH fly-halves Russell is the one who is overrated constantly bigged up but has he actually shown more talent than any the others have?

Agree about Ford it certainly feels like his defenders are spending more time saying he's just as good as the overrated players than trying to say he's a master player.

Biggar is only overrated by the Welsh so doesn't count.

Honestly when comes NH fly-halves Russell is the one who is overrated constantly bigged up but has he actually shown more talent than any the others have?

Agree about Ford it certainly feels like his defenders are spending more time saying he's just as good as the overrated players than trying to say he's a master player.

Biggar is only overrated by the Welsh so doesn't count.
Russell gets highlight reel moments so that results in him being overrated. Other case in point, Cipriani. Bloody hell people talked like all we needed was to get him in at 10 and everything would be fantastic. Any time he did something that any semi-competent 10 could do it was praised as pure genius. With such players you tend to see their great moments but they don't show their catastrophic blunders, which many international 10's work to cut out of their game. They also have a habit of constantly looking for magic moments, another great bit of footage for the reel when it comes off but many times it doesn't and just puts their team under pressure.

Latest posts