• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Matt Stevens on Celebrity X Factor

B

Boy

Source bathrugby.com

The Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund stands to benefit when Bath Rugby and England prop Matt Stevens appears in a special celebrity version of ITV’s ‘The X-Factor’ THIS EVENING, Monday 29th May.
The money accumulated from texting and phoning to vote for Matt will be given to the charity, which was set up by the former President of South Africa, and strives to improve, promote and assist children’s development, and in particular to help Aids orphans in that country and southern Africa.
Matt is a very talented singer and has sung at various Bath Rugby events over the last few years, including a dinner which was part of Mike Catt’s testimonial year and the recent Bath Rugby Community Foundation dinner.

Famously, Matt sang ‘Bread of Heaven’ for the British and Irish Lions in response to a Maori tribal welcome when the Lions first landed in New Zealand last summer. He was also invited to perform as a back-up singer with the Three Tenors when they performed in Bath a few seasons ago, but a rugby tour meant that Matt had to decline the opportunity. 

Other celebrities taking part in the show include glamour model Michelle Marsh, Radio One DJ Chris Moyles, actress Lucy Benjamin (who played Lisa Fowler in ‘EastEnders’) and magician Paul Daniels.

The show will be shown on eight consecutive nights, starting on Monday 29th May, and will include three categories: 16-24s solo, over-25s solo, and groups.

The judges will of course be Simon Cowell, Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walshe, so make sure you support Matt and the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund by voting for him tonight![/b]

Good luck to Matt, and even if he doesn't win hopefully he'll be able to plant one on that utter c*** Moyles.

He was pretty good actually, but Moyles will win, just because he has such a big fan base already behind him.

I think Matt suprised a lot of people last night with his rendition of Mack The Knife. He's clearly the best singer in the whole competition, but as it's a popularity contest, Matt's pretty unknown to the general public and Chris Moyles has a daily audience of millions to vote for him, he's not going to win.

Certainly did himself prouf though. Not sure about having both Tindall and Dawson in the crowd though...

Trubdle and Phillips in the audience made me laugh, hopefully he becomes a permanent memeber of a television crowd, and never has to play for England again.

Oh, and does Dawson ever get off the TV? I saw him the over day on some BBC quiz, with Ian Beal and that lesbian comedian. I think he won as well.

I saw that, the school's out program with that Danny Bloke Presenting. They ask year 9 level questions and Dawson wasn't too bad. Giedroych was shocking and was beal. True, I may have seen alot of Dawson on telly.

BM

Originally posted by harrison2468@May 30 2006, 10:04 PM
Oh, and does Dawson ever get off the TV? I saw him the over day on some BBC quiz, with Ian Beal and that lesbian comedian. I think he won as well.
Doesn't sound like anyone really won with that list of attendees.

He deserves to be shot.

I know its for charity but he could do something different.

* Please don't take this as me going on about England or their rugby side, cos i'm not. I just hate this X Factor, Pop idol bullsh!t. He should of done something like soccer aid *

he should be shot because hes english

im joking of course, its a good cause and best of luck to him... after all it was him who instergated the rendition of bread of heaven on the lions tour.

Originally posted by gjohn85@May 30 2006, 08:19 PM
He should of done something like soccer aid
Can you honestly imagine an 18 1/2 stone prop playing footall? Even Alfie looked tired on Sunday, and he's used to running instead of eating pies.

Originally posted by Teh Mite+May 30 2006, 09:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gjohn85
@May 30 2006, 08:19 PM
He should of done something like soccer aid
Can you honestly imagine an 18 1/2 stone prop playing footall? Even Alfie looked tired on Sunday, and he's used to running instead of eating pies. [/b]
I wasn't on about as a player, as a goal eater......I mean goal keeper.

Originally posted by gjohn85@May 31 2006, 08:19 AM
He deserves to be shot.

I know its for charity but he could do something different.

* Please don't take this as me going on about England or their rugby side, cos i'm not. I just hate this X Factor, Pop idol bullsh!t. He should of done something like soccer aid *
He was given the chance to raise money for a charity that is very personal to him, so what's so wrong about him singing? It doesn't really matter what it is he's doing, surely. I doubt he was given the choice of which show to go on.

If you don't like the show, don't watch or vote, but he's doing really well and according to the poll on Moyles show today of 4000 people, Matt came out on top.

To be honest though, seeing as the text or call costs 50p, the charities are only getting 10p of that. Even with the system costs, the producers are making a huge amount which should be given to charity. Soccer Aid managed to give 27p of every 50p to UNICEF.

S*ccer Aid might have raised a lot of money, and credit to it for that, but the end with the medals, fireworks and having a cup was the most self-indulgent pile of **** I have seen in long time. Any that nobody who lives on Williams' coattails dedicating his goal to his daughter and saying 'that's what it's all about' just shows it was a jolly and nothing else. Wankers.

Originally posted by robbinho@May 31 2006, 10:12 AM
S*ccer Aid might have raised a lot of money, and credit to it for that, but the end with the medals, fireworks and having a cup was the most self-indulgent pile of **** I have seen in long time. Any that nobody who lives on Williams' coattails dedicating his goal to his daughter and saying 'that's what it's all about' just shows it was a jolly and nothing else. Wankers.
It's no wonder UNICEF only got 27p out of every 50 then.

Originally posted by Boy@May 31 2006, 09:07 AM
He was given the chance to raise money for a charity that is very personal to him, so what's so wrong about him singing? It doesn't really matter what it is he's doing, surely. I doubt he was given the choice of which show to go on.

If you don't like the show, don't watch or vote, but he's doing really well and according to the poll on Moyles show today of 4000 people, Matt came out on top.

To be honest though, seeing as the text or call costs 50p, the charities are only getting 10p of that. Even with the system costs, the producers are making a huge amount which should be given to charity. Soccer Aid managed to give 27p of every 50p to UNICEF.
That what I hate about celebrities & famous sport people, they do anything to raise money for charity, but they won't dip into their own pockets.

Just thought that Matt should of waited till something different came up or better still dip into his own pocket, so he don't waste his free time looking like an ass on t.v.

So you think he should have turned down the chance to raise money for a cause he believes in?

What are you talking about 'he should dip into his own pocket'? If someone runs a marathon and raises money in sponsorship, would you turn around and say, 'well, they should give some money themselves' instead? You're criticising him for giving up his free time, which in fact not enough people are willing to do.

This sort of show is ideal for Matt. He's well known around the Bath area for singing in clubs in town most weeks. What would be a better thing for him to do? Go on Celebrity Big Brother and sit on a sofa for three weeks with cameras on him? He's not a famous guy, and for most people who aren't interested in rugby, they will never have heard of him before this.

He's doing himself proud, and is acting as a great ambassador for the game.

If only he'd win Heat magazine's Best Abs or CDUK's Best Haircut, or maybe he could start humping a chubby popstar. Then we could really be proud of him.

Fair comments there Boy.
What I was trying to say is that it annoys me when you see charity shows where they got celebs on tele, begging us to donate money, where they got so much money, they dunno what to do with the money.

I do agree with you Boy, but I think its just me seeing him portraying rugby in as bad light. When I think of rugby, I think of a physical masculine sport & then seeing a rugby player, espeially a prop...singing which makes me think of gay, dunno why, that just me I guess. :huh: :unsure:

Anyway I wish Matt the best of luck & hopes he does more for his charity, as long as it doesn't involve any more singing :p

I know what you mean, people like Geldoff or Bono (who had his jet fly from Italy to Dublin at a cost of £2000 to pick up his favourite hat which he wanted for a gig in aid of poverty). But, I don't really think you can lump Matt in the same category.

Singing as always been a part of rugby. It's an essential part of the camaraderie, like the '74 Lions arriving for one of the Tests and not one of them moving from the bus until they had finished Flower of Scotland. It's not like he's singing It's Raining Men or YMCA.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...