• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mauls

M

Mala

I don't know if this is a problem for most of you or not, but I when I first started playing the game, I couldn't drive forward with mauls. I'm talking about Classic 2 view. Well, after a lot of frustration, I would choose my set play. By chance, I pushed the left stick forward and the maul started to move forward. EUREKA! Now I can drive the mauls as long as I pick the set piece first. Hope this helps if anyone was wondering.

I'm on my second day with the game and it's great. There's just so many elements involved, whether it's in the game itself or just setting up teams or tournaments. I'm from the U.S. and it's been killing me reading all the rave reviews, tactics and advice about the game. Plus, being from the other side of the pond, you all keep me abreast of all the current happenings in the world of rugby. Cheers to you all, keep it up.

Mala

Originally posted by Mala@Feb 17 2006, 02:33 AM
I don't know if this is a problem for most of you or not, but I when I first started playing the game, I couldn't drive forward with mauls. I'm talking about Classic 2 view. Well, after a lot of frustration, I would choose my set play. By chance, I pushed the left stick forward and the maul started to move forward. EUREKA! Now I can drive the mauls as long as I pick the set piece first. Hope this helps if anyone was wondering.

I'm on my second day with the game and it's great. There's just so many elements involved, whether it's in the game itself or just setting up teams or tournaments. I'm from the U.S. and it's been killing me reading all the rave reviews, tactics and advice about the game. Plus, being from the other side of the pond, you all keep me abreast of all the current happenings in the world of rugby. Cheers to you all, keep it up.

Mala
Will try. I've struggled with this too. It's a bug becuase when you switch to side view "Kazamm" - Maul starts rolling. Cheers for the tip.

Maybe if you use classic 2 cam its like the run onto the ball thing. Maybe in the first half you actually have to pull down on the stick to get the maul rolling while in the second half it will be up. Its to do with the camera not switching around and the player running up the screen for the full game. However in the first half the computer acts like your going down the screen.

Or something along those lines.. :D

Man, I don't know what to think anymore. Shortly after posting about my discovery, I was able to drive forward in the maul without selecting a set play. And then another time, I couldn't drive at all no matter what I did. And as far as which direction to push the left stick, I've been all over the place with it. Left, right, down, up, clockwise, counter-clockwise... whatever it takes.

By the way, I got my ass handed to me by SA in the Tri-Nations on Pro Level. I was the All Blacks. Januarie is QUICK! And it seems EA decided to make Percy infallible. WTF? I was only able to beat SA while as the home team. On their soil, they were tough as nails. Even though I lost the tournament, it's realistic. It's not easy playing as the visitor. I guess I need practice. Good thing today is Friday, it looks like I'll be playing most of the weekend.

Mala

You guys do know that sometimes you need to add more players to get a maul rolling don't you? I usually try to get a shove on with the default number of players and then add a couple more and try again (by pushing the analogue stick after the players get there). The other option is to add the max number straight away to guarantee a drive if available - particularly for drive over from lineouts close to the goal line.
You can also add players once a drive is going to prolongue the drive or get a second shove going - can make a lot of ground if you get this right.

I have a question though, what do you guys do once you've driven a maul over the goalline? There's no touch down button is there? I usually have to just pick it up with a player in the maul but he gets tackled straight away and very occasionally knocks on etc. It all just seems a bit clumsy - any better suggestions?

Originally posted by toup@Feb 17 2006, 12:55 PM
I have a question though, what do you guys do once you've driven a maul over the goalline? There's no touch down button is there? I usually have to just pick it up with a player in the maul but he gets tackled straight away and very occasionally knocks on etc. It all just seems a bit clumsy - any better suggestions?
Nope - very annoying when I got pushed out of touch in goal! Don't go blind!

Hopefully in 07, they will include a button(like x) to crash over the line from mauls. They have it for pushover scrums don't they???

Originally posted by toup@Feb 17 2006, 01:07 PM
Not sure, I haven't actually tried one of those - tend to just go with No 8
I haven't done it - just been done by the AI a few times. :ph34r:

I usually get it out to my backs and kick for space. However, I had a great tryline maul with the ABs from a 5-meter lineout. I was just outside the tryzone and I hit circle (Second Row takes the ball and runs). However, it wasn't Williams or Jack with the ball, it was Collins. Try! It looked and felt so realistic. EA has done a fine job.

Originally posted by Mala@Feb 17 2006, 12:48 PM
EA decided to make Percy infallible. WTF?
wish they could find a way to do this in real life.

Breaking away from the ruck in 05 seemed to result in a turn over every time, It seems a little better this time but I think you need to do it from a rolling maul for better results....which is a pain becuase on classic view, like you well know Mala, the mauls roll randomly...

Do you think EA will release a patch for that bug...can it be fixed?

Latest posts