• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mealamu, Howlett to lead Blues

N

nik

Keven Mealamu and Doug Howlett will be the captain and vice captain, respectively, of the Blues for the 2006 season.

Blues coach David Nucifora said Mealamu and Howlett were natural leaders who had benefited considerably from their experience at the very top levels of rugby.

"Keven and Doug have strong and positive presences both on and off the field, which is particularly important given the relative youth of our team. I believe they'll do an outstanding job, working in tandem," said Nucifora.

Nucifora said the Blues would have a 'team of leaders' approach, in which other key players would give close support to their captain and vice captain.

The roles were announced to the team in Australia on Sunday January 22nd after the All Black pair had watched from the sidelines at Ballymore on Saturday night as an inexperienced Blues side went down to Queensland 29-14.

The Blues are at a training camp on the Sunshine Coast this week and play the Waratahs this Saturday in Gosford.

Their last pre-season match is against the Western Force at Eden Park on February 2nd.

Mealamu will debut as captain in the much anticipated Super 14 opening game against the Hurricanes at Eden Park on February 10th.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/652403

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
obvious choice in my opinion

geez told ya guyz so...howlet was a suprise tho but i understand the choice after all the stuff he did for the npc team last year

he has matured now and is a player that the others look to for inspiration and look up to..gud choice as the leader in the backline

Howlett will do well, He was head prefect at Auckland Grammar and he has the Rugby experience with 50 Tests for the ALL BLACKS and 50 games for Auckland.

Can't really complain about those two choices - experienced and respected players.

Looking forward to the Blues actually playing to their full potential this year...........

yep good choices both have plenty of experince and are well respected by others in the blues squad. hopefully the blues can turn it on this year.

Great decision...always thought theyd give it to Collins, but this is better.
From the theories about Collins being in the run on that looks a gone decision with him having no captaincy and the return of Flavell and uprising of Haiu its going to be a long season for old Gus.

Otara

Originally posted by Otara@Jan 25 2006, 10:31 AM
Great decision...always thought theyd give it to Collins, but this is better.
From the theories about Collins being in the run on that looks a gone decision with him having no captaincy and the return of Flavell and uprising of Haiu its going to be a long season for old Gus.

Otara
...never thought he would be a starting player.................Angus McDonald would be my first pick as blindside with him also filling in for Braid on the openside if Braid is injured/rested for some games.

Latest posts