• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Medics & Wateboys

GraemeY

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
I get water boys and medics passing on instructions during the game from coaching staff. However after watching the Lions third test, it seems the "Boks" had 16 players on the field as their head coach (a medic) was in the dead ball area screaming instructions as the Lions were pushing for a forwards try. This was also highlighted in the World Cup final, when De Klerk made a try saving tackle In the same position after it appeared to be following instructions by "the medic". Both of these examples are not a "we was robbed" moan, but more of a question of: Is the "win at all stakes" at international level going to ruin the game by taking the decision making process away from the players!

Quite a bit about the series was to the detriment of the game IMO, opinion pieces from journalists in neutral countries makes me pretty confident that this opinion isn't born out of sour grapes.

Sides taking every advantage available to them is nothing new, South Africa's appetite for doing it outside the field of play is. Most if not all things that have gone on are already legislated for (albeit maybe by catch all clauses ) by the laws of the game and rules governing the conduct expected from those involved. To my mind all that needs to happen is for World Rugby is to do their job as custodians of the game and ensure that they're enforced. I can sympathise with referees not instantly being on top of things given how many other things they have to worry about, but these days it's about the team of four, so touch judges and fourth officials should be doing their job and ensuring that everyone's within their technical area at any given time. That said, a few law tweaks to clarify the situation and discourage anyone tempted to try it on could be handy. To be honest, I've been following the game long enough that I struggle to remember what the rules of engagement are for these kind of petty things, I remember times when anyone entering the field of play had to be waved on by the referee and when anyone needing treatment had to leave the field of play to receive it.

Most water boys are members of the coaching staff now

It's not even a SA thing but done throughout pro sports.
1. Who has the money to spend on outright water boys
2. The coaching box is only so big.

Aye, I've no issue with coaches being waterboys,
No one complained about Neil Jenkins bringing water on in previous Lions tours

That clip of the medic in the in goal isn't great but equally I bet you see that every game if you look - I mean you always see the subs warming up in the in goal area - is them being there any different to a water boy?
No non-playing-staff-on-the-pitch-while-the-ball-is-in-play should be enforced but it's not like it is for everyone bar the Boks

Is the solution like in grassroots where waterboys are the subs and warm ups can only be done in a technical area?

I have no issue with any of the comments so far. Any guidance given by water-boys/coaching staff should take place when the ball is not in play.

My main observation, is that games are won and lost by the players decisions, in the heat of the game. This leads to the crowds entertainment, and means in close games where winning margins are small the right or wrong decision means winning or loosing!

Who would have thought that at half time Harlequins would have come back to win in the championship final (one of the best games I have seen). This was down to the players decision making and game management, and no interference from coaching staff while the ball was in play.

It seems to me, that if world rugby does not deal with this, we are in danger of losing the game we love

I think the whole water boy incident is disgraceful and a blot on the game. It's been becoming increasingly ridiculous over the seasons but this behaviour took it way over the limit. Just allow the medics to have comms with the Coaches, not the water boys, and we'd soon see less stoppages for " water " ! Also, everyone needs to stay away from the field of play when they are not needed so all the screaming from the support staff can be banished. The players have become like automatons, incapable of making decisions for themselves. Just let them play what's in front of them and make their own decisions without all of these outside influences interfering with the game.

Is the solution like in grassroots where waterboys are the subs and warm ups can only be done in a technical area?
I manage a club team here i aus, yes the coach cant enter the field...but he's still right on the sideline yelling instructions, just means the winger needs to pass it on

are we worrying too much, i very much doubt these coaches are having once in a lifetime epifanies during the game, 99% of the time they will be repeating what they said before the game

I find in event coaching pretty irritating. Shouting from the sidelines and half time in rugby should be ample.

In athletics you have the ludicrous sight of field eventers heading straight for the apron strings of their coaches after every effort, successful or otherwise.

In road cycling all the teams have radio links so know exactly what's going on. The team car will relay gaps and give instructions on who should go up the road or drop back, whether to let the breakaway go etc. Result is few surprises. Radios aren't permitted in the Olympics and we saw the shock result in the women's road race.

Hats off to tennis where coaching is banned in grand slams.

I manage a club team here i aus, yes the coach cant enter the field...but he's still right on the sideline yelling instructions, just means the winger needs to pass it on

are we worrying too much, i very much doubt these coaches are having once in a lifetime epifanies during the game, 99% of the time they will be repeating what they said before the game
Medical staff bringing messages on to the field is nothing new. My fondest rugby memory is the County Championship Final 1991, everyone involved was interviewed ten times over, including the physio, who mentioned being sent on with messages, so it's been going on since amateur days.

There's a difference between a simple message like "you're committing too many people to the ruck" or "attack the 10 channel" being passed on and second by second instructions coming straight from the person formulating them in real time though.

A fair bit has been made of the Mapimpi try in the second test, caused by Lawes duplicating the efforts of the existing pillar rather than defending wider where he should have stopped the try. There's every chance that if a voice from the side line that Lawes recognised as a coach was screaming "wider Countney" at him, he'd have done what he was told and a try would have been prevented. It's this kind of influence from a 16th man that lots of people, myself included think is undesirable and unfair. Just standing end on to the pitch as opposed to beside it or on it is a big advantage in terms of reading what's going on in terms of space in the back line.

My biggest moan was the continued stoppages with water boys/ coaches coming on.

I think they should ban coaches coming on at all in whatever guise just because I think its a reason to slow the game down.

Any physio / medic can't be a member of the coaching team.

Latest posts