• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Meet the New Boss (Possibly The Same As The Old Boss)

I'd be happy with any of those 3. I'd love a Welshman to be at the helm, but I'm not sure anyone is quite there yet. Young isn't far off, but he needs another 4-6 years at club/regional level imo, and win more silverware to boot. He's got the platform at Wasps to prove he can win trophy's, well maybe not this year with their injury crisis, but next year maybe.

In comparison the 3 NZ guys there have proven records of securing silverware, with Rennie's record probably the most impressive. Either way, I'd like to see deserving Welshmen form the bulk of the backroom staff. I say deserving, because Howley and McBryde certainly were not when they got their gigs in '08! The likes of Dai Young, Stephen Jones, Jonathan Humphreys & Danny Wilson have or are acquiring the necessary experience required. Look at the 3 NZ coaches touted in the article, they've all been successful at NRC level before moving onto Super Rugby, and/or U20 international level, and they often experience gigs abroad as well. What experience did Howley and McBryde have? Howley coached for barely a year or so, I don't remember McBryde having any experience. Why aren't coaches learning their trade at premiership level before moving onto regional level, let alone international level. Some experience in the SH wouldn't go amiss either.

Latest posts