• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[MegaThread] RFU Top Flight Future

It says three clubs in the ***le but then only named Quins and Irish

I'm surprised at Quins, would've thought they'd be doing ok with recent success + attractive rugby + a number of fan friendly characters in the squad

It's all pretty depressing.

Much as I love the Prem and league system it's pretty apparent that the support isn't really there for a fully pro league. I think every club has significant debt now, if not in outright trouble, and the pro game hasn't established itself in new heartlands. It's a minority sport and even some smart marketing won't really change that.

Can't help feeling that the best solution may be something along the lines of:

4 regions with centrally contracted full time pro players. EPS drawn from these regions who take part in Europe where our clubs just aren't competitive any more against higher French salary caps and a v strong Irish region. Players are leased back to parent clubs for X other games per season so the stars are not totally lost to the club game. Also benefits the national team by ensuring release times and well rested players. Haven't thought through how the central contracts would be funded but the elite end doesn't tend to struggle for backers.

Leagues remain but on a semi pro / much reduced cap basis. Promotion / relegation and reintroduction of a taken seriously knock out cup. I'm not in favour of taking part in British leagues.

What's the deal with Bristol?
They get good crowds every game (16-19k this season) - is it just cause they don't own the stadium?
Player bill can't be that ludicrous unless their marquee is on £10m a season or something

Comparing that then surely Newcastle and Bristol are also in trouble unless they are bring seriously bailed out. Bristol is ridiculous when compared to the other clubs.

Latest posts