• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[MegaThread] RFU Top Flight Future

While I'm not saying the ideas are perfect, the status quo definitely can't continue or slowly rugby will bleed itself dry. I'd prefer they at least try something radical, even if it fails, than continue slowly on a downward spiral.

• The establishment of an independent financial monitoring panel, which will oversee all club finances, in a bid to avoid the fate that befell Worcester and Wasps.
  • A new sporting commission, which would be independently chaired and make decisions on behalf of the league.
These are the 2 im interested in though how transparent will finances be? And how will the sporting commission work? What will they do? And how much power will they have and are they actually just independent?
There still needs to be a fairer funding model for the teams, such as a single kit supplier, and better sharing of ticket sales. Just like NFL.

There still needs to be a fairer funding model for the teams, such as a single kit supplier, and better sharing of ticket sales. Just like NFL.
Be interesting to see who is for and against this. I'll all for a fairer funding model as I think it's the only way for rugby to survive long term. However I could see a few owners vetoing as it wouldn't directly benefit them.

NFL revenue sharing
1. Equal share of all media revenue.
2. Ticket sales except luxury boxes - 60% to home team, 40% to NFL to share equally to other teams.
3. All other revenue goes to club.

There must also be a hard salary cap and a squad size limit.
Idealky a shorter season would allow squad sizes to be smaller, but also the addition of dual registration with a championship team for players with less than 30 games or under 23 should be allowed. This would mean young pkayers get match experience and would not be inckuded in squad figures.

Be interesting to see who is for and against this. I'll all for a fairer funding model as I think it's the only way for rugby to survive long term. However I could see a few owners vetoing as it wouldn't directly benefit them.
Agree, that is why there needs to be an independent structure and also a hard salary cap, and a maximum squad size

Ticket revenue sharing isn't the answer imo.

Punishes well run clubs more than anything currently.
But this is the point. I'm not advocating either way, but saying it punishes well run clubs ignores that other clubs are struggling. So by keeping 100% of your revenue rather than sharing some out, you put other clubs at risk, which means more go under, which means less games and less revenue for you.

Again, I'm not saying clubs should revenue share, but the mentality of 'well I'll just worry about how I run my club' risks actually becoming self-harming. Rugby in England as a whole is on the verge of becoming unsustainable as a professional sport in its current form. If clubs only look out for themselves then they will end up being dragged down too.

But this is the point. I'm not advocating either way, but saying it punishes well run clubs ignores that other clubs are struggling. So by keeping 100% of your revenue rather than sharing some out, you put other clubs at risk, which means more go under, which means less games and less revenue for you.

Again, I'm not saying clubs should revenue share, but the mentality of 'well I'll just worry about how I run my club' risks actually becoming self-harming. Rugby in England as a whole is on the verge of becoming unsustainable as a professional sport in its current form. If clubs only look out for themselves then they will end up being dragged down too.
Totally agree.
A well run club will soon go under if there is nobody to play.

We have to realise that professional sport is part of the entertainment industry as it only gets its money through people watching.
The on field product has to be exciting, and I dont mean high scoring, and full of jeopardy.
The tribalism in this country is sonething else and needs to be used to create the excitement beyond current fans.

Admittedly I'm biased as a Tigers fan but it does feel somewhat unfair that a club which relies on ticket and kit sales would have to share a sizable chunk of that revenue with some teams that have the benefit of an uber rich owner.

Perhaps a compromise could be that any money an individual invests/loans/gifts/whatever into a club would also have to be split 3:2 with the rest of the league? We could even apply it retroactively to when Saracens had ~£50m of debt written off by its owners 🥳

How would revenue sharing help prevent owners from making terrible investments and screwing over the clubs through shady dealings?
Let's remember how we got here in the first place.
The LNR has an actual process for financial oversight that the Premiership should really look to borrow. Honestly, PRL should be bringing in advisors from the LNR for this process.

How would revenue sharing help prevent owners from making terrible investments and screwing over the clubs through shady dealings?
Let's remember how we got here in the first place.
The LNR has an actual process for financial oversight that the Premiership should really look to borrow. Honestly, PRL should be bringing in advisors from the LNR for this process.
From the times

Attachments

• EFB0714C-931D-46C7-A9FD-1332176EB2A8.png
    EFB0714C-931D-46C7-A9FD-1332176EB2A8.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 14
It's almost a catch 22 though, if at the start of the season Club A doesn't have a sound financial plan what will they do? Relegate them to the championship or not let them play? Either way would kill them off anyhow. I like the idea but surely it's too late at that point unless I've not thought this through enough.

Admittedly I'm biased as a Tigers fan but it does feel somewhat unfair that a club which relies on ticket and kit sales would have to share a sizable chunk of that revenue with some teams that have the benefit of an uber rich owner.

Perhaps a compromise could be that any money an individual invests/loans/gifts/whatever into a club would also have to be split 3:2 with the rest of the league? We could even apply it retroactively to when Saracens had ~£50m of debt written off by its owners 🥳
Investment from owners doesnt happen, they buy shares in the league and then the money raised is for the benefit of all.
For example in the NFL, the Cowboys are the richest team, but they still can only have 56 players in squad and have to meet the salary cap. This means that any extra money cannot be spent on the team.
The owner is made richer, yes, but his team is not anymore successful as he cannot stock the best players.

How about CVC creating a British and Irish League.
Teams equal shareholders
Hard salary cap
Any B&I player free to play for any team
16 match season with play offs
EPRC for top 12 teams from this league and 8 from a new European League, (add Italians to a similar structured league current 26 + 2 Italian + Black Lion, Iberians, Wolves, plus TA Heat)
20 teams 4 matches plus 1/4 ), etc.
Total of 20 matches minimum, with up to 27 maximum

What about adopting the world league from rugby 08 but in real life. Then beneath that you have a club championship with promotion into the 'world league'.

It's what all the big money men want so why no just do it now rather than tease us with normality but slowly whittling away at the game we love for the next 5-10 years.

Latest posts