• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

More for you.

L

locksley

Ok fellas!

You know when you want something really bad, and you have a quick taster of it that leaves you wanting more? That's exactly what the demo did to me. But sometimes, when you finally get the thing you've been waiting for, you spend so much time with it, that it turns out not to be the thing you were expecting after all? EA RUGBY 2005 is a little bit like that! After long, long continued play, I've noticed the following

Firstly, for lionmaul, I don't think you'll like the rucks! They're on a par with 2004, but when you push the X button you can actually see your men join the ruck. There is no removing men from the ruck, no pushing etc! You either turn it over, or you don't! I like it this way, it makes the game much quicker to play and it is better than 2004's rucking! You can however, push the right stick in to cheat by raking the ball with your hand. It works sometimes too!

Also, I've stopped playing it on the "Classic 2" camera angle! The side view is far faster and feels more like Rugby union! The classic 2 camera reminds me of Rugby 2004 after extended play, and I'm sure this is why EA chose to use the Side camera for the demo.

There IS a Jump Button included! (It's "Circle" by the way) But it's not much use I'm sorry to say!

The commentary is very boring! Robertson isn't a patch on Bill McLaren and yes, it does still sound a bit "Cut and Paste"

The referees voice is one of the funniest things ever! He has a heavy irish accent!

Lineouts are a bit too easy to win on your own throw! I've never lost ONE lineout either to a human player or the AI! But, if it's not your throw, you haven't got a hope in hell to win the ball!

Kicking in General play is pretty awful! They've stuck with the transparent blue arrow of 2004, and you can't kick very far!

Player creation, (Body wise at least) is very limited! You can change all aspects of the face, but I think there's only 4 or 5 "Body Shapes" (Yes, that's back) to choose from! You can however, unlock new things so I wouldn't be surprised to see more revealed through continuous play!

To be honest, I'm pretty bored with the one player game now! The AI is good, using set moves against you etc, but it pales in comparision to the multiplayer mode, which is great!

My biggest gripe about it is the camera angles!!! Why only go with 4??? Fifa has loads, and you can moves the camera on that game. Madden is the same. Why have they gone with only 4 camera angles, 2 of which are unplayable, forcing you to choose between the side view - Good but hard to judge tackles or kicks the higher up the screen the players get - , or the Classic 2 cam which is ok, but feels totally different to the side view game!

By the way, Game controls (for PS2 anyway) are:

Left stick - move player, run into the player to tackle
L1/R1 - Pass left/right. Hold to miss a man out
L2 - Change player
R2 - Sprint
Right stick - Fend / Shoulder Charge / Sidestep
Circle - Jump / Drop Goal
Triangle - Grubber Kick
Square - Bomb
X - Punt / Dive Tackle

Originally posted by mark_shaw@Feb 5 2005, 10:02 PM
yeah but thats not hard
Thanks locksley
<

Doesn't sound that bad, although it doesn't sound that great.

A few questions I have...
1. Are high hits penalised? Are late or other dangerous tackles penalised?
2. I know I asked this, but some other people might be interested too, so can you play as the host nation when it comes to tours?
3. Do those random shite passes from the ruck still occur now that you're more experienced?

Thanks if you can answer any of these.

Originally posted by JJ-@Feb 5 2005, 09:03 PM
Doesn't sound that bad, although it doesn't sound that great.

A few questions I have...
2. I know I asked this, but some other people might be interested too, so can you play as the host nation when it comes to tours?
3. Do those random shite passes from the ruck still occur now that you're more experienced?

Thanks if you can answer any of these.

No, in fact, although it may look like a high tackle on that video I did, I've realised that the tackle isn't high at all! It's just a big hit!

I've still not played a tour on it! I promise, when I get chance, I'll find that out for you!

Yes! Lots of times! But, it's through the players own fault! Instead of waiting for the backline to get in place, I just pass as quick as possible from the ruck and this is what causes it to happen!

Locks most importantly is it a big improvment on the last edition?
1) Is it the best there has been including JLR?
2) Is the game play good fair or bad?
The camera angle in the demo seems fine to me as I suppose it is a taste thing, I assume you have the real game know so please tell us what leagues etc. sorry and was last thing please post some new clips for us to watch!!!

hey locks,
is the jump button effective at all in play?
are there hi tackles at all?

I think EA is just making this game a solid foundation to be basing on gameplay and animation like they did in Fifa 05

However they're making the game a low replay value (limited playability) in terms of player creation, no career mode also making the camera angles to seem mediocre, so that they can build from that for next year's installment.

Probably next year they'll add online capability and adding more features.

But apart from all that, i'm still getting the game for the XBOX.

Oh by the way locks, have you tried playing the game on XBOX, if so are there any differences between PS2 and XBOX?

Thanks locks, for the new info maybe, next year for more control in the rucks, but if it is better then 2004 rucks, i will take it for now. From Locks:By the way, Game controls (for PS2 anyway) are:

Left stick - move player, run into the player to tackle
L1/R1 - Pass left/right. Hold to miss a man out
L2 - Change player
R2 - Sprint
Right stick - Fend / Shoulder Charge / Sidestep
Circle - Jump / Drop Goal
Triangle - Grubber Kick
Square - Bomb
X - Punt / Dive Tackle

WHAT ABOUT DUMMY PASSES, IT HAS TO HAVE DUMMY PASSES, can you do them by pressing left pass and then right quickly????????

Originally posted by locksley@Feb 5 2005, 08:37 PM
The commentary is very boring!  Robertson isn't a patch on Bill McLaren and yes, it does still sound a bit "Cut and Paste"
But is the copy and pasting as bad as Rugby 2004? What's Mexted like?

P.S. Can you get any videos of the full version?

game sounds alrite i think most people got their hopes up a bit too much when locksley was so postitve about the demo

thanks for all the good work and what leagues/tournaments are included in the game

Yeah. I hate it when i get too excited! grrrr. lol
<
but i think it will be ***s (cool) lol

Latest posts