• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

most dangerous wingers or fullback in england

eot345

Academy Player
Fastest/most dangerous ATTCKING player I.E best footwork/best in a one on one situation.

Varndell's the fastest.

One of Foden, Strettle or JSD would have the best footwork at a guess.

I assume this means "in England" as in England qualified players

Fullbacks:
1) Foden
2) =Goode
3) =Abendanen
4) Balshaw (as an attacking runner he flatters to deceive. Such a shame everything else he does is awful)
5) Armitage

Wingers:
1) Ashton
2) JSD
3) Cato
4) Vinakolo (if the footwoek of a maori-sidestep counts)
5) Cueto

I assume this means "in England" as in England qualified players

Fullbacks:
1) Foden
2) =Goode
3) =Abendanen
4) Balshaw (as an attacking runner he flatters to deceive. Such a shame everything else he does is awful)
5) Armitage

Wingers:
1) Ashton
2) JSD
3) Cato
4) Vinakolo (if the footwoek of a maori-sidestep counts)
5) Cueto
What's a Maori sidestep? He's Tongan anyway.

Maori Side step = Run it straight

Maoris and Austrailian touch/flag players have the best side steps I've ever seen and experienced/been stood up by.

My best English winger would have to be the electric Jason Robinson.

Last edited:
Maoris and Austrailian touch/flag players have the best side steps I've ever seen and experienced/been stood up by.

My best English winger would have to be the electric Jason Robinson.

yea no doubt , i get stepped by bloody maoris every thursday night at touch

i think in the uk they call a maori sidestep running it straight and bumping you off

Bullitt's list is good.

I'd stick Topsy Ojo onto the wingers list, he's very quick yes but is also deceptively elusive. Another lad from London Irish, Jonathan Joseph, is heading in the right direction.

If you want dangerous in terms of pace alone (but not too much creativity) you can add Monye and Varndell to that list. And from what I've seen of Charlie Sharples he seems pretty nippy as well.

Also, forgot about Ollie Phillips who's a very useful finisher.

What ever happened to topsy ojo and ugo monye? Weren't they like the 'big' thing up in england not so long ago?

Topsy Ojo fell out of favour after the tour of NZ where England got f***ed royally in the tests, and there was all that scandal in the papers,

Ugo Monye is in the Saxons now, but I think he was just a flavour of the month type player. He's very one dimensional (not so much so as Tom Varndell or David Strettle) but he had speed and some strength, that was about it really, he doesn't have the all round game of Ashton or Cueto
Also, when Johnson played him at FB this time last year, that seemed to have just killed him in the eyes of the selectors :p
Think he's injured atm as well (though being in the Saxons, he wouldn't be involved with this test series anyhow)

Also, when Johnson played him at FB this time last year, that seemed to have just killed him in the eyes of the selectors :p

I kinda think that was Johnsons plan all along. Everyone must have been hassling Johnson to put Monye in the team and Johnson might've not liked Monye for some reason and then Johnson must've thought 'you want Monye, I'll give you Monye' and chucked him into fullback. Thats the only logic I can see for Johnson putting Monye at fullback.

Poor guy I always thought of him as the next Wendell Sailor and a permanent fixture on the England wing.

Topsy Ojo spent a lot of time injured.

Monye's form and confidence was destroyed by that small stint at full-back. He'd been going well for Harlequins at full-back shortly before due to injury, Foden had a less than convincing game against Munster and Johnson played for Monye. He's had a fair few knocks since then as well.

Latest posts