• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster vs Aironi, Saturday 4th Sept

No lads Barnes is very small and although it officially 5'4 it mite be inch or 2 more. Agreed Snoop that Ryan will be looking to get start this year and well he will be with DOC in lock if Paulie out and then I presume will be our starting 6 with Quinny been an impact sub. But Ryan did have great chance last year to earn spot but well unfortunately for him he was carrying injuries all year. He is a talent though and he would make big impact at other clubs but he has heart set on been a Munster starter and well I feel his time is near.
This reminds me of Trevor Hogan and Stephen Keogh and well when they left. It turned out to be a mistake as they never earned spots at Leinster either.

Munsters biggest problem is once players are established in the first 15 they find is almost impossible to drop them no matter how they play. We see this again this week with Dave Ryan being dropped from the squad. Dave Ryan is getting better and better and would have an excellent chance at making the world cup squad if he had the opportunity to play.

I don't think rushing players into the first team is the way to go but likewise leaving them hanging around the fringes for a few years is a complete waste of time too.

What happened about Munsters try?
I'm flicking between this and the St Helens/Castleford game, and it was 11 - 6, then 6 - 6 again?

Also, Aironis try then was quality work!

Munster upped the pace took it through the phases and Arioni ran out of defenders.

Munster looked good at times but loads of handling mistakes. looks like the orders are to spread the ball as much as possible.

Line out is dodgey but the scrum looks good.

I'd still be confident of a win, If we cut out the mistakes we could run them ragged

I think that slightly flatters Munster (maybe not, actually, but i don't think it was a "comfortable win" in that they had to work very hard for it)
While Munster were the better team on the pitch, Aironi were constantly threatening.

Just back from the match. A sloppy first half and a a better second half deserved the win

Enjoyable game. Not TOTAL ExTrEmE rugby but entertaining from start to finish.

I liked Arioni, did some flashy stuff and if they hadn't conceded two quick trys at the start of the second half.

Scrum was good the way it started. Ronan was good, but again, not a player for matches against better packs. Tootitotopow was good, Murphy was alright but looked a bit awkward at times and Jones had a fairly good match. Happy enough.

Munster deserved to win but am I alone in thinking the Man of the Match should have been Aironi's scrum half ***o Tebaldi? He hasn't stood out yet at international level but the improved level of competition he'll be up against in the Magners League should help him raise his game.

Forgive me if my analysis of the game is Munstercentric. Since I'm more interested in Irish than Italian rugby I was paying far more attention to how the boggers from the south played.

Contrary to the rubbish George Hook was spouting, I thought Munster tried to play at a high tempo. Forwards were used to clear out rucks and attack around the fringes at pace. Stringer moved the ball quickly. Tuitupou and Jones ran some excellent lines (although I thought Jones was a bit too eager to get stuck into rucks rather than letting the forwards do their job). Howlett was electric all night. De Preez, Varley and Buckley were noticably better in the scrum than Horan, Fogarty and Hayes- while the latter unit didn't struggle, they were under more pressure. Williams and O'Mahony both got decent game time with Deasy and Barnes also adding to their provincial cap total.

On the debit side, the lineout was average and ball handling left a lot to be desired. Munster also aimlessly kicked quite a bit of ball.

Overall, 5 points from the first game of the season isn't to be sniffed at. It was a good run out and bodes well for Munster's season if they can iron out a few kinks.

Well lads must say the delight to start with a BP win is excellent but I think we are lucky to have Aironi out of way early as I strongly believe they are going to be a very tricky physical team that will be much more improved after few games at this level and well our return game will already be seen as a hard game in Italy.

Starting with our front-row: I think what started (Buckley, Du Preez and Varley) could be our starting frontrow as the selection between Varley and Flannery will be tight and Buckley deserves to be ahead of the Bull. Great to see Felix back and well Howlett was superb last night. I think last night was more about still improving on patterns defensively and gelling as an attacking unit. All in all a good start and a good base to build from but we know we will still have to improve in areas.

Great to see Munter get the job done but I bet they were given a shock when they were aironi put up a good game. I'm glad to hear the front row did well in the scrum. Did Munster kick much or did they try to spred the ball wide and run?

Coonor Munster tried to play a nice attacking game but weren't shocked by Aironi because we expected them to be strong and well set up.

Well looked like a very tough game and no shame for the Italians so far. One win and one close defeat means they're going to be more competetive than many will give them credit for.

Lets face it, we have been saying "well at least Connaught won't be last anymore" quite a bit recently.

Agreed Prestwick that Italian teams will be tough and well we in Munster knew they'd be tough as in they have excellent Italian players and made really smart signings from abroad. Treviso will always be competitive too.
And I predict that in 2/3 years Italian teams will be well up to scratch and well at least 1 will break into top 4 and qualify for a heineken QF in next 5/6 years.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't particularly rate these Italian teams. Treviso beat a weakened Scarlets who were among the bottom dwellers of the league last season. It was always likely that the new team would raise their game for their first home fixture but a 6 point win over a poor team is hardly a statement of intent. Likewise Aironi lost by double scores and gave away a bonus point against a massively weakened Munster team. Both Italian teams were at full strength. When it comes to the international breaks, don't be at all surprised to see Aironi and Treviso ship regular 50 point beatings.

Well looked like a very tough game and no shame for the Italians so far. One win and one close defeat means they're going to be more competetive than many will give them credit for.

Lets face it, we have been saying "well at least Connaught won't be last anymore" quite a bit recently.

Too bloody right, not at the way they're going at the moment anyway

Snoop agree that there won't be anything major this season but I think in a few years that they will improve and be competitive in time

It is clear that the italian sides especially aironi have really beefed up their squad however neither teams have recruited anyone of a top league standard. It's great that Munster are playing a good running game. The Kicking game can no only be used in certain situations. Munster have powerful running backs and a strong pack that can secure ball confidently from the breakdown.

Latest posts