• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Murali takes 800 Test Wickets

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
Thats a ridiculous number of wickets to take at the very top level. What a player. I doubt that feat will be matched for a very long time, if at all.

Source

Good for him, great bowler.
Taking a wicket = getting a batsmen out by bowling his wicket or getting him caught on your delivery.

Good achievement, yesterday was sweating for him because it looked like at that over he was not going to get him!

Didn't see the game but might watch some cricket this weekend.
Need to study anyway.

One of the amazing things was that he actually took less Test Matches to get the landmark. People go on about his dodgy action but as far as I can see he doesn't get any advantage from the bent elbow. The spin comes from the fingers and wrist and the only way you can get an advantage by chucking is by absolutely hurling it down, which is impossible from a bowlers release.

Muralitheran is a chucker, and so was Shoaib Akhtar.

The ICC were blackmailed by the powerful Asian Sub-continent bloc into changing the Laws to allow both to continue playing.

And if you don't believe you can get more spin by straightening your arm on delivery, just try it.

I am just Joe-average when it comes to spin bowling, but even I can get a cricket ball to spin up to 50% more than a "normal" delivery by straightening a bent arm. If you do play cricket, try it next time you are doing "throw-downs" for a team mate.

Also, you get a LOT more control when throwing rather than bowling, and if nothing else, spin bowling is about control.

Try tossing darts at a dart board with a cricket type bowling action, and compare that with how you do at throwing them.

Try pitching the ball on the popping crease in line with the stumps from 20 yards with a bowling action, and see how many times and how close you can get to hitting it. Then try throwing the ball at the crease, and see how much more often you hit it or how much closer you get.

Yeah tried it very often, but I'm a slow bowler and I don't use that much spin in my bowling attack.

He deserves every positive comment he gets.

I'd be more worried if someone like Tait, Akhtar, Mills or Lee got that many wickets.

For such a weird action he has such great control which must have taken years of practice. I've tried "chucking" the ball like him and could never get it right.

Sorry Cooky but im afraid if you look at the law book ... you will find that his action was deemed legal.

His action may be questioned but for me a terrific achievement!

Muralitheran is a chucker, and so was Shoaib Akhtar.

The ICC were blackmailed by the powerful Asian Sub-continent bloc into changing the Laws to allow both to continue playing.

And if you don't believe you can get more spin by straightening your arm on delivery, just try it.

I am just Joe-average when it comes to spin bowling, but even I can get a cricket ball to spin up to 50% more than a "normal" delivery by straightening a bent arm. If you do play cricket, try it next time you are doing "throw-downs" for a team mate.

Also, you get a LOT more control when throwing rather than bowling, and if nothing else, spin bowling is about control.

Try tossing darts at a dart board with a cricket type bowling action, and compare that with how you do at throwing them.

Try pitching the ball on the popping crease in line with the stumps from 20 yards with a bowling action, and see how many times and how close you can get to hitting it. Then try throwing the ball at the crease, and see how much more often you hit it or how much closer you get.

I'm a leg-spinner (taught by Mushtaq Ahmed) and the elbow being bent actually adversely affects your bowling, in the act of the throw and the wrist generating the spin it adds too much backspin and the speed drops rapidly and more often than not the ball ends up as a half tracker.

Just ask Shane Warne

Latest posts