• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Murray scared of wrath of God, decides to wuss out

I respect his religious beliefs but why bring this up now when it didn't seem like playing on sundays in the past was too much of a problem? He got over it in the past when he had to play on a sunday. Playing for your national team is a massive privelege in any sport, and it looks like Murray is starting to take his position for granted.

He has the right to do that at the end of the day.

Just like I have the right to call him a stupid fool.

If I was Northampton I would fine him a weeks wages every time he refuses to play a game when he is selected.

Any chance Sky can put Munster v Saints on a Sunday? :D

Fair play to him, it's obviously been a struggle for him to play on Sundays before. Good to see someone standing up for their beliefs and not being forced into doing anything. I'd the same admiration for Michael Jones for sticking to his beliefs so it's good to see that Murray is doing likewise.

You have to respect his personal decision.

I just hope his decision is fairly reflected in any contracts he has with Northampton or the SRU.

Yeah, and I'd hate to see what Murray would do to him, hence my post.

Anyway, we have Wian Du Preez now who has been nothing but good in the games he has played for us, shame we don't have a top class tighthead to go with him.

So Mite, instead of trying to sidestep it politician style what are your views on this topic? Murray is top class but surely it would **** you off if he misses games he is contractually obliged to play in because it is a Sunday?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 16 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So Mite, instead of trying to sidestep it politician style what are your views on this topic? Murray is top class but surely it would **** you off if he misses games he is contractually obliged to play in because it is a Sunday?[/b]

I'll tell you after we next have a Sunday game.

All I know is the Flying Spaghetti Monster would "rather we use our own for our own needs".

Jonathan Davies refused to triple jump on sundays didn't he? Not really the same, but reminded me

Like above, a bit strange that he's just decided now, after playing before.
Weird how some really religious players have no problems playing on sundays (i.e. Ugo Monye) but some are really averse to it

Fair enough, I say. It's his choice, and he can do what he likes. Big games like, I belive, it's Scotland V France, could be a problem, though. How lnog until he breaks his rulr? I say 2011 when Scotland reach the World Cup Final.

Pfft, he's going to hell.

If he was a real god fearing man he wouldn't have played on Sundays ever - Michael Jones was left at home during his peak for the 1995 World Cup because of his fear of a good ol' fashion smiting from God.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jan 8 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pfft, he's going to hell.

If he was a real god fearing man he wouldn't have played on Sundays ever - Michael Jones was left at home during his peak for the 1995 World Cup because of his fear of a good ol' fashion smiting from God.[/b]

Good point, but also some players reach a point where they ask themselves "Am I playing as a recreation, playing for fun on my day of rest"? "Or am I playing for money, for business"? I think Murray has just asked himself this question and realised that he's uncomfortable with working on that day.

He's best to explain for the sake of clarity, just in my opinion.

Fair play to him. He's a good prop. Like Vainikolo refuses to play on Sunday due to his belief.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 17 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fair play to him, it's obviously been a struggle for him to play on Sundays before. Good to see someone standing up for their beliefs and not being forced into doing anything. I'd the same admiration for Michael Jones for sticking to his beliefs so it's good to see that Murray is doing likewise.[/b]
Yes.

Hasn't this conflict been an issue a few times with NZ, which I think has a Scots Presbyterian influence? I've a vague memory of a Norn Iron player raising the same thing with Ireland - or maybe I'm reading too much into the talk about Trimble a few years ago.

I used to be very weary about playing on Sundays.

Especially if I had a hangover.

:lol:

Murray had a good game tonight against Marcus Horan, although some very questionable interpretation from the referee, especially for the penalty try. If there is a French referee for the HEC QF Munster will be in serious trouble at scrumtime.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Dec 17 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jonathan Davies refused to triple jump on sundays didn't he? Not really the same, but reminded me

Like above, a bit strange that he's just decided now, after playing before.
Weird how some really religious players have no problems playing on sundays (i.e. Ugo Monye) but some are really averse to it[/b]

It is quite strange but you can only respect his decision.

As a Christian myself, I personally wouldn't have any problem playing on a sunday. In the bible it says to take a day of rest - and most people pretty much do this anyway. It doesn't need to be a sunday in my opinion, that was just the day that early Christians met on. Tradition n' all that.

Good on him for sticking to what he believes though.

Latest posts