• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Introduction Thread

OedipussyRex

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
New Zealand
New to the forum and Rugby. Back in February I heard a joke that had a Haka as part of the punchline and shared it with my mother. "What's a Haka?" she asked. In looking for a video to show her, all I could find were All Black videos. As a 'Merican, I knew who the All Blacks were, but I couldn't have named another Rugby team on a bet. So I decided to watch some Rugby, partly because the NFL season was over and, because I don't care for the other major US sports, and partly because I was jonesing to watch some organized violence. Luckily the Super Rugby season had just started. Also luckily for my data limit, I found that DirecTV has a couple/few Rugby channels, currently showing ITM, ABSA Curry, and The Rugby CHampionship, which makes a nice follow-up to Super Rugby.

So I've been watching Rugby for a little over half a year. I've picked up on many of the Laws and have even gotten my mother and aunt interested, but questions still remain. Like "What's with the scrum?" As far as I can tell, there are two purposes: Offensively, if losing, hope the other team commits a penalty so you can kick the ball for field position or for goal; and defensively, hope for a lot of resets to run time off the clock.

So what subforum is there for idiots like me to ask their idiotic questions without getting the Rugby equivalent of RTFL? Things like, what's difference between the first and second five-eighths? Or why is it called a "grubber"?

Hi there!

1. Like the name!
2. Welcome to the forum, beware of Big Ewis!
3. Glad to see another American on the forum.
4. My suggestion would be to browse the forums first, as most of the questions by newbies like yourself have already been answered by knowledgable members.
5. If you feel that you are still a bit confused, or uninformed, then ask away, you will soon get a feel of where to post what, and if it happens to be in the wrong subforum, then the mods will assist in moving it to the right section.
6. Prepare to be ridiculed. It's part of our charm here at TRF. but don't become discouraged
7. Good Luck!!

Welcome!

Being new to rugby I'd suggest keep watching as much rugby as you can. Between getting used to 'the normal run of things', a rare useful comment by the commentators and explantaions by the refs hopefully you'll pick up even more. This forum right here is the perfect platform to ask 'stupid' questions .

To try and give some insight on the questions you've raised;
What is the point of a scrum? In rugby the major differences to NFl (for me at least) is twofold. One; there is always a contest for posession of the ball and 2; general play continues and there is more 'flow' beccause of competition at the ruck when a tackle is made or a ball in turned over. The scrum and line-outs are merely uses to set up play again when it has broken down. There is also allowed for competition for posession in both the scrums and line-outs.

Different teams will look to do different things at these 'set pieces' depending on their rugby culture or tradinal strengths. If it's a strength they'll look to contest for posession on opposition put ins or try and force a penalty. If it's a weakness they'll probably look to just retain possession.

A grubber kick is usually 'flat' along the ground while a chip kick would be over the head of the opposition.

First 5/8 and 2nd 5/8 are terms New Zealand use. The rest of the world use 'flyhalf' and 'inside center' respectively. The first is generally your main decision maker and ball distributor while the second for the most part has more responsibility on defense and in carrying the ball himself into contact.

Last edited:
In rugby the major differences to NFl (for me at least) is twofold.

You missed the third difference: the "look at me, look at me" showboating that has become ubiquitous in the NFL. People are celebrating for doing things that used to be called "doing your damned job." This past Sunday a linebacker celebrated a sack and tore his ACL. Out for the rest of the season. This is part of why I'm enjoying Rugby more than the NFL. Still a life-long Packers fan, though. C'mon, Rodgers, get it together. GO, PACK!

So I decided to watch some Rugby, partly because the NFL season was over and, because I don't care for the other major US sports, and partly because I was jonesing to watch some organized violence.

You sir, are in the right place. Welcome aboard.

You missed the third difference: the "look at me, look at me" showboating that has become ubiquitous in the NFL. People are celebrating for doing things that used to be called "doing your damned job." This past Sunday a linebacker celebrated a sack and tore his ACL. Out for the rest of the season. This is part of why I'm enjoying Rugby more than the NFL. Still a life-long Packers fan, though. C'mon, Rodgers, get it together. GO, PACK!

How embarasing! Rugby has it's share of showboaters but they are decidedly in the minority thankfully.

welcome mate. It's a pretty decent bunch of well informed guys here. It's certainly one of the easier going forums and not so many idiots as you'd get in places like planetrugby.

And there are no silly questions, as long as they are genuine they'll get answered.

Welcome OedipussyRex, haha I chuckled while typing out your name. As said, this place is pretty easy going but also informative.

It's always good to see other nationalities involved rather than the usual, so hopefully you stick around!

Yeah welcome!

On the scrums, they're essentially there to set a competitive platform for continuing play after a knock on, while the fact that all 8 forwards from each team are competing means that there is more space for the backs to launch an attack.

I lol'd so hard at that:

PreciousWastefulGoosefish.gif

Nice start by the Packers.

Aaron-Rodgers-cheese.jpg

But seriously great to see more americans coming on here.

The All blacks v USA game has sold more than 55,000 tickets so far (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/FansourceRugby/usa-vs-new-zealand-rugby-preview).

Sounds like others have answered your questions.

You know, Wisconsin is about more than cheese and Green Bay Packers. There's also Bratwurst and beer.

And about the All Blacks v USA, I was excited when I heard about the match, but unfortunately I can't make it. Also unfortunately, it looks like the game will be carried by NBCSports, which is in a higher tier than what I pay for, so it looks like I'll have to use an alternate means to watch it.

Last edited:
A grubber kick is usually 'flat' along the ground while a chip kick would be over the head of the opposition.
I know what it is. I was wondering why it was called a grubber. Was it first utilized by Reginald "Club Foot" Grubb? It's an etymology question. For instance, in the NFL a sack used to be called a dump, as in "dumping the passer," until Deacon Jones likened effect of tackling the quarterback to the devastation of sacking a city.

First 5/8 and 2nd 5/8 are terms New Zealand use. The rest of the world use 'flyhalf' and 'inside center' respectively. The first is generally your main decision maker and ball distributor while the second for the most part has more responsibility on defense and in carrying the ball himself into contact.
Thanks

Latest posts