• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Natal Sharks - Free State Cheetahs at the ABSA Stadium, Durban. July 31 10, 15:00 CAT

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Lambie leads Sharks fightback in Currie Cup

Article Published: Saturday 31 July 2010

Email Article | | Print Article

Rugbyweek.com wins Web award

A late fight back from the Sharks, which saw three tries scored within six minutes, secured the visitors a stunning 25-13 win over the Cheetahs in a Currie Cup match in Bloemfontein on Saturday.

Centre Pat Lambie was in superb form, scoring 20 of the Sharks' points including a brace of tries, and the 19-year-old played a huge role in lifting them to second place on the log.

The Sharks made mistakes that cost them dearly in the first half, with the scrum giving away three penalties and sloppy defence allowing Cheetahs scrum-half Tewis de Bruyn to dot down the only try of the opening stanza.

Lambie and Cheetahs flyhalf Louis Strydom both fluffed opportunities to put their sides ahead from penalty kicks in the first 10 minutes, with Lambie missing left and Strydom dropping a long range effort short of the crossbar.

Lambie wasted another penalty midway through the half and Strydom fluffed one in extra time, but both players had successful attempts to give their sides three points a piece.

De Bruyn, however, gave the hosts a 10-3 lead at the break after catching the Sharks defence napping in the 33rd minute.

Having spent some time in the sin bin after being shown a yellow card, De Bruyn made up for his absence just eight minutes after he returned to the field.

Taking a quick tap kick, he stole through a huge gap to score, and Strydom converted to ensure the home side took a seven-point lead in to the break.

In the 47th minute Strydom stretched the gap even further with an easy penalty kick, but Lambie kept the visitors in the hunt with a successful penalty of his own two minutes later, closing the gap to 13-6.

And with nine minutes remaining in regular time, Sharks replacement Eugene van Staden barged over to give his side a vital five points. Lambie, however, sent the conversion wide to leave them trailing by two at 13-11.

Five minutes later some great team work from the Sharks saw them taking the lead for the first time in the match.

Eighth man Ryan Kankowski received the ball in the Sharks 22 and after a blinding run down the left wing, followed by some sharp work from Lwazi Mvovo, Lambie went over.

He converted his own try and the Sharks were suddenly in control. A minute later they hammered the nail even further in the Cheetahs' coffin when another superb effort from Mvovo cleared the way for Lambie to score his second try.

And while the teenager missed with the conversion attempt, he had done enough to secure his side the win.

Final Score Cheetahs 13 Sharks 25

Scorers:

Cheetahs:
Tries: Tewis de Bruyn.
Conversions: Louis Strydom.
Penalties: Strydom (2).

Sharks:
Tries: Eugene van Staden, Pat Lambie (2).
Conversions: Lambie (2).
Penalties: Lambie (2).

A very exciting match by the Sharks and Cheetahs that was a complete surprising result after a completely different scoreline at half-time.

Patrick Lambie played one of his best matches today and I am thrilled to see him play every week now for the Sharks. It won't be long before he will make his debut as a Springbok. Terblanche also was amazing! It's actually a shame he's already in his thirties because he wouldn't do bad as a Bok the way he plays even at his age!

Skipped the game as I woke up at 6 AM to see the ITM games, it seems I missed a good game.

Was a torrid game to watch as a Sharks supporter

Deysel coming on for Botes was the turning point for me, Botes had done little and Deysel got some foward momentum.
Also thought Kyle Cooper was instrumental in setting up the winning try, as he started the movement.
Ross Skeate looked out of his depth, hopeefully he finds his form again, and that Hargreaves recovers.
Hopefully Kanko doesn't get cited, and hopefully Pat Cilliers and Steve Meyer only had bad nose bleeds, and not nose breaks

Why can't the Cheetahs lift their intensity in the Super series like they do in the Currie cup each year is what I would like to know. Same players, different attitudes. Although they have been somewhat of a bogey team for NZ sides playing in Bloem.. and they like getting up for it against the Sharks. Touring is their main problem. Don't think I can remember an overseas win in a Super 14. That siad, congrats to the Sharks for pulling this one out of the fire. Pat Lambie looks to be a great prospect.

Well, the Griquas are a better team than the Cheetahs in the Currie Cup. Of course several players participate in the Super14 under the flag of the Cheetahs (Basson, Viljoen) but when it comes to Currie Cup rugby, the Lions and Cheetahs are heavily outnumbered by the Griquas. That's why I would love to see them play in the Super15 in stead of, for example, the Lions

Why can't the Cheetahs lift their intensity in the Super series like they do in the Currie cup each year is what I would like to know. Same players, different attitudes. Although they have been somewhat of a bogey team for NZ sides playing in Bloem.. and they like getting up for it against the Sharks. Touring is their main problem. Don't think I can remember an overseas win in a Super 14. That siad, congrats to the Sharks for pulling this one out of the fire. Pat Lambie looks to be a great prospect.

I thought you pointed this out quite well in another thread?

You say they have the same players, but in between the CC and the following years next S14, they lose a number of players.
The Cheetahs actually had a good S14, considering they had to play their fitness coach, and then bring him out of retirement

Lets look at who the Cheetahs were unable to use for this years S14

Jacque Lous Potgeiter- Big loss
Hienrich Brussouw
Juan Smith for the away leg
A heap of quality front rowers and others (I am not 100% clued up on the Cheetahs, there are undoubtedly more other than Mokuena and a few other squad players)

They really performed in the beginning and final phases of the S14, and it is only a matter of time before the Cheetahs assemble a group of senior players, who stick with the union.
Then they would really be a force, as other quality players would stay.

Here is a quickly assembled team, that consists of players whom have left the Cheetahs in the last 5 or 6 years, to other provinces that is.

1. CJ van de Linde
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Flip van de Merwe
5. ? (Not sure where Adriaan Fondse came from)
8. Duane Vermaelun (sp.)
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Morne Steyn
11. Lionel Mapoe
12. Jacques Louis Potgeiter
14. Gio Aplon (I think)

There are blanks, as there are much better players that have left than I can currently think of.

And all those are players who have left for other provinces in SA (however van de Linde is included as he is off to the Cape)

Even though we grabbed victory at the death, I felt the Sharks looked better overall in this game. The Lions were sure up for this one, they started with great purpose and intensity but faltered to the end.
Lambie is looking really good, REALLY good. Plumtree must resist the urge to use him as a utility player! He must settle, and the 12 jersey is a perfect place this time in his career.
Jean Deysel had a huge impact towards the end, that guy is Bok material, good to see him back.

Deysel is definitely Bok-material. But also Burden, Lambie and Daniel are future Boks in my opinion. I've heard people say Daniel is too weak physically but I don't see the problem. He might not be very big but he's strong and has pace like no other nr. 8 I've seen play lately besides Spies.

The way they play now, they will end at the top2 of the log together with WP. It would be a nice final (Sharks - WP).

Next week the Lions! I cannot see why we wouldn't win this match. The Lions are by far the weakest of the 6 teams competing for the play-offs.

Hmmmm...

Meyer took a knock, however I cannot recall what the injury was, but he is due to be out for the next few weeks.
Plumtree said that they will most likely change Lambie to fly-half, as Pienaar is also injured.
Relieved that Kanko wasn't cited for his little slap.

Im actually a little worried for the Lions game, would be typical of the Sharks to put in a mediocre performance, and end up losing.
On the plus side, Bismarck and Jannie should be involved this Saturday, and Deysel/Alberts should be fit to start, IMO one of them should replace Botes, with Daniel moving to 6. He hasn't done much recently, so its not like we would be going into the game without a fetcher.

Latest posts