Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
amerInter.jpg

Greetings internet friends! It's me again, here to bring you another instalment of rugby life in America. Hopefully everyone has had a chance to take a look at the recently named Eagles squad for the World Cup. Well, one of the key players on the team is fly-half Nese Malifa. This Is American Rugby was lucky enough to have Nese sit down for a few minutes to answer some questions. In this interview, he talks about kicking, 7's, the World Cup, and Rugby in America. Anyways, I hope you enjoy.

This Is American Rugby: What is it like playing #10 for the Eagles? Do you feel any extra pressure on your shoulders as the team's go-to kicker?

Nese Malifa: At the international level you are expected to know your assignments and roles, it's a professional environment and the guys here make my job easy. I don't feel any extra pressure at all. I like the pressure, to take control and have no problems with all that. It's just about going out there and executing and performing.

TIAR: You spent your youth in New Zealand, what will it mean to you to go back there and play in the World Cup?

NM: It means a lot, it's been my home for the past 11 years and I have all my family and friends out there so it's really exciting.

TIAR:
How difficult was it being out most of the last 7's season?

NM: It was hard not to be part of it most of the season. I had to make some tough decisions and also sacrifice to prepare for the RWC.

TIAR: What do you, Al Caravelli, and the rest of the 7's team have to do to improve on this years results?

NM: I think the main thing is to be consistent and maintain a core group of players that play together. It's something he has tried to do, but we've been very unfortunate losing players to injuries.

TIAR: What do you think is the biggest thing holding back U.S.A. rugby from challenging on the international scene?

NM: I believe that we need to be more focused on grassroots rugby. Starting the programs for the young ones before going into high school. And if this does happen, then it's also very important to have quality coaches and referees teaching our youth.

TIAR: After the World Cup is over, will you be seeking out a full-time professional opportunity, or will you be staying in the U.S. and focusing on 7's?

NM: Right now it's just focusing on the World Cup and putting out the performances. Then getting ready for the upcoming 7's events.

TIAR: What can club rugby do in the United States to improve in quality?

NM: Club rugby needs to go professional.

You can always follow at www.thisisamericanrugby.com and on Twitter @ThisIsAmerRugby

Latest posts