• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Netball: Aus v Nz

W

Wally

I don't know the details but I heard we won!
<

Only just.

But no, it was a deserved win. We got beaten in many, if not all facets of the game. They did well to shut down Van Dyk. Ah well.

imho netball is one of the dumbest sports ever

think basketball with no jumping

i played it once while in aus, never again

Who invented this sport? Is it played in other places than Australia and New-Zealand? What were the rationals of forbidding jumping? Is running still authorized?

Originally posted by DonBilly@Nov 17 2004, 11:32 AM
Who invented this sport? Is it played in other places than Australia and New-Zealand? What were the rationals of forbidding jumping? Is running still authorized?
It's basicly basketball for woman. I think it is like 7 players per side, 2 shooters, 2 defenders, 1 centre, wing attack and wing defence.

NZ is the best team in the world at the moment, then Australia. It is very strong in England, South Africa and the Carribean islands.

Basketball with no running and bouncing. When you catch the ball you have to pass from there. Hoops have no backboard. You can jump to catch a ball (or sometimes shoot). When someone shoots the defender has to stand 3 feet away and try and block. Court is divided into 3 sections, you must pass from section to section when advacing upfield without skipping a section. There is a semi-circle at the goal ends, only in there came people shoot. Players are allocated certain areas where they are allowed to move, they cannot move throughout the entire court. No contact is allowed.

NZ looked pathetic in the first quarter of the game (Oh..games are divided into 4 quarters).

I don't get this negative mentality towards netball. It is a great game. Too damn hard to play (you need coordination).

This sport is totaly unknown on the continent. I would be curious to watch a netball match. If I go to Australia I try to catch one on TV.

At least we smoked the Aussies in Game 2.

BTW is it Keith Quinn who does the TV 1 Netball Commentating?

Originally posted by Ripper@Nov 17 2004, 06:19 PM
At least we smoked the Aussies in Game 2.

BTW is it Keith Quinn who does the TV 1 Netball Commentating?
Brendan Telfar, ******

Originally posted by spacemanspiff@Nov 17 2004, 06:19 AM
imho netball is one of the dumbest sports ever

think basketball with no jumping

i played it once while in aus, never again
Well that's understandable. It's not really a blokes sport but it can be good to watch. (Used to watch my gf play).

For those of you who didn't watch it, I'll explain my last post.

Aussies were up 52-51.
NZ get the ball.
Down to van Dyk (the one who shoots the goals).
She lines up to shoot.
A whistle blows, the Australian's get the ball?
Australian's get another goal, Aussie's win.

Latest posts