• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Biennial Global tournament from 2026

So Georgia, Fiji, and Japan have shown that they belong in the band of whatever you want to call tier 1 more than they do tier 2. If they get left out going forward I will just feel bad as a rugby consumer. They will provide quality matches against the established nations and their continued growth will be good stories.

So Georgia, Fiji, and Japan have shown that they belong in the band of whatever you want to call tier 1 more than they do tier 2. If they get left out going forward I will just feel bad as a rugby consumer. They will provide quality matches against the established nations and their continued growth will be good stories.
We can add Samoa to that list also.

We can add Samoa to that list also.
That is why there should be
1) reduction in number of automatic qualifiers for RWC.
2) a 4 year regional championship, used to qualify for RWC and rank teams for 'World Trophy'
3) a 'World Trophy' for cross region tournaments.

Imagine an Asia/Oceania championship
NZ, Aus, Fiji, Samoa, Japan playing an event every 4 years, with promotion and relegation to div 2.

That is why there should be
1) reduction in number of automatic qualifiers for RWC.
2) a 4 year regional championship, used to qualify for RWC and rank teams for 'World Trophy'
3) a 'World Trophy' for cross region tournaments.

Imagine an Asia/Oceania championship
NZ, Aus, Fiji, Samoa, Japan playing an event every 4 years, with promotion and relegation to div 2.
include argentina as already part of things, been saying it for years, worst case if the ABs thought they could beat these teams without some of their top players.....release them to play domestic rugby and help breath some life into that!

include argentina as already part of things, been saying it for years, worst case if the ABs thought they could beat these teams without some of their top players.....release them to play domestic rugby and help breath some life into that!
I would use Argentina to develop tge Americas.
Have an Americas Championship with
Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, USA, Canada.
The Euro/African would be 10 teams as there are more countries, 2 groups plus semis and finals.
Ireland, France, SA, Scotland, England, Wales, Georgia, Italy, Spain, Portugal.

The World Trophy, could be divisions of 4, 2 x Euro/Africa, 1 x Oceania/Asia, 1 x America.
Played in one venue 3 matches.

The cycle could be
1) RWC
2) World Trophy
3) lions
4) Regional

I would use Argentina to develop tge Americas.
Have an Americas Championship with
Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, USA, Canada.
The Euro/African would be 10 teams as there are more countries, 2 groups plus semis and finals.
Ireland, France, SA, Scotland, England, Wales, Georgia, Italy, Spain, Portugal.

The World Trophy, could be divisions of 4, 2 x Euro/Africa, 1 x Oceania/Asia, 1 x America.
Played in one venue 3 matches.

The cycle could be
1) RWC
2) World Trophy
3) lions
4) Regional
id say Argentina is too far above the other american team so would be a bit of disservice

i could get behind a 2 tier "ring of fire" comp

nz, aus, japan, argentina, fiji

USA, Canada, Samoa, Tonga, Chile, Uruguay

with promotion and relegation

South America confirm it is their understanding Fiji and Japan will be the teams invited, that there is zero guarantee of promotion / relegation in 2030 and that Tier 1 will not now honour their commitment to cross tier tests agreed in San Francisco and due to run until 2032.

If confirmed (and combined with World Rugby giving ownership of the tournament to the Tier1 unions) then this is absolutely rotten, unjust, short termist, dishonest, dishonourable and typical of of Tier 1 (whether they are wearing the cap of their own union or a World Rugby cap).

It will be near impossible for Tier2 unions to attract suffficient sponsorship for competitions where access to the worlds top teams and players is in-built into competition.

I sadly hope that the financial difficulties experienced by Tier1 continue and are magnified. I hope the governance of rugby burns to the ground so that something more democratic and open minded emerges from its ashes.

Not looking forward to this tournament, the game is becoming more and more like cricket, a few international teams who constantly play eachother

A lot more reported detail being reported on this, much of which contradicts the Sudamerica president (depsite both recent articles coming from Uruguay). Whether he was talking rubbish or the goalposts are shifting due to a backlash, who knows (assuming this article is credible).

Quite complex:

- it is believed there will be promotion playoffs every 4 years between the bottom 2 sides from the top league (1 from "north" and one from "south") versus the top 2 from the second division (again possibly top team from both hemisphere?)
- the first possible promotion is in 2032 following promotion playoffs in 2030
- there will continue to be Tier1 vs Tier2 friendly matches, but Japan and Fiji will count as Tier1 playing against second division sides (Tier2)
- suggestion of no revenue sharing with the two sides in the top division not from 6N and SANZAAR.
- the number of cross tier friendly games a side must play is based on their position within their division
- a rough estimate that the number of cross tier games will be the same as in recent years.
- World rugby can line up cross tier matches for 'wild card' teams that do not qualify based on ranking (which will be their chums the PIs and Canada and the US for 2031 if those sides aren't ranked highly enough)
- tournaments to be announced on October 24th

This still isn't wonderful but would be far better than what the Sudamerica president thought would happen. Everything hinges on a guarantee that the promotion playoffs will take place. It must be guaranteed when it is announced or it will likely never happen (especially seeing how vulnerable Australia and Italy would be to relegation).

Personally I would prefer straight promotions rather than playoffs, but this isn't a deal breaker for me.

Its still better than the status quo and I support cross tier matches being based on ranking in the leagues (or world ranking). It would permit a Tier2 union that is run well to get promoted and establish themselves at the top table. It would result in Tier1 unions that underperform being dropped to an appropriate location.

In such circumstances there is more potential for a Tier2 nation to grow a fanbase and improve on field performance. Whereas at the moment this is almost impossible because sponsors are not interested in lesser tournaments and in nations with no route to the top table. If I was a young Tier2 player, or a Tier2 fan, I would see a route to the top and be motivated by that. Well, if I was a young Tier2 player in 5 or so years I should say given the painfully slow introduction of this (promotion only possible after the third edition of the tournament for some reason).

Last edited:
More division between Tier2 unions. Tier1 will be laughing their socks off. Sudamerica not happy that Georgia and Rugby Europe apparently support the World League.

Georgia came out against it just a month or so ago. I can only assume the recent rumours that cross tier tests will continue and a 'promise' that promotion will happen may have swayed them and Rugby Europe in recent weeks.

As per my post above this isn't mad from these unions IF a guarantee of promotion playoffs in 2030/31 is made with the formal announcement.

Really hope in the next World Rugby presidency elections someone new and with a fresher mindset is voted in. The governing body's actions feels like it is tending towards cricket's closed shop approach which is just detrimental to the sport as a whole. Some people dislike him, but I would love Pichot to get in there and shake things up.

I feel like this board was massively anti pichot last time around (I believe I was against him as well) but after the last 4 years it seems the consensus has shifted towards involving more nations.

Really hope in the next World Rugby presidency elections someone new and with a fresher mindset is voted in. The governing body's actions feels like it is tending towards cricket's closed shop approach which is just detrimental to the sport as a whole. Some people dislike him, but I would love Pichot to get in there and shake things up.
Its not going to happen any time soon sadly. La Porte and Jurie Roux were both the most open minded Tier 1s about spreading the game (excluding Argentina). Both were dismissed for corruption and have been replaced by Beaumont allies. A recent interview with the new French chief made me want to weep. "The 6N must never change and France will invest in former French colonies in Africa" (with no mention of what they might do to assist their continental neighbours, literal sharing a border neighbours). Rumours are that new Vice President John Jeffrey will take over from Beaumont. I am sure a Scotsman will lead the charge on opening up the top levels of the sport to new territories :p

Even if a reformist somehow took control, all test windows will now be privately owned. So the future presidents will be powerless to actually change the international game outside of RWCs. This will of course be intentional.

The political landscape is so bad that if this announcement of the World League does not 100% guarantee promotion in 2030 I will likely find something else to do with my time and check in on what counts as "rugby values" at the start of the next decade (i.e. whether the door is still firmly shut). I do not like feeling unclean because I like a certain sport.

Apologies for the glum post. If promotion in 2030/31 is announced as guaranteed I will actually be quite optimistic for the (very) long term future of the sport.

Totally agree with the above, have hardly watched any of the world cup, losing real interest. France used to be the guiding light helping to expand the reach of rugby. I still dream of a proper 8 to 10 team European championship every 4 years (Ireland or Scotland could easily host it). Imagine in 2025, the best teams in Europe battling it out for the ***le.

Totally agree with the above, have hardly watched any of the world cup, losing real interest. France used to be the guiding light helping to expand the reach of rugby. I still dream of a proper 8 to 10 team European championship every 4 years (Ireland or Scotland could easily host it). Imagine in 2025, the best teams in Europe battling it out for the ***le.
Been suggesting this for 2 years. It came from an idea originally for an expanded TRC.
For Europe, I would also invite African teams.
Firstly though the calendar needs sorting so there are just 2 international windows, late spring and early Autumn.

Imagine a Euro Africa Champs with 10 teams, 2 groups of 5, with semis and finals hosted by one nation, say Italy or Spain to help develop.
Group A SA, France, Wales, Portugal, Georgia
Group B Ireland, England, Scotland, Italy, Spain
Based on current WR rankings.
Bottom 2 teams play off v top 2 from div 2 in the week of the play offs
Div 2
1 group of 4 play in single venue, over same period.
Div 2 Romania, Namibia, Netherlands, Switzerland.

Here we go

World Rugby: New international competition announced in 'significant overhaul'

'An historic moment': World Rugby confirms major rugby calendar reform

"The tournament will be made up of 24 teams, split into two divisions with 12 teams in each, with promotion and relegation starting from 2030.
The top division will include the 10 sides from the Six Nations and Rugby Championship, plus two unnamed others.
The World Cup will also be expanded to 24 teams from 2027.
The new competition - yet to be given an official name - will be played in July and November, replacing the current summer and autumn international windows."

Here we go

World Rugby: New international competition announced in 'significant overhaul'

'An historic moment': World Rugby confirms major rugby calendar reform

"The tournament will be made up of 24 teams, split into two divisions with 12 teams in each, with promotion and relegation starting from 2030.
The top division will include the 10 sides from the Six Nations and Rugby Championship, plus two unnamed others.
The World Cup will also be expanded to 24 teams from 2027.
The new competition - yet to be given an official name - will be played in July and November, replacing the current summer and autumn international windows."

Broadly happy with that if the cross tier matches are confirmed (they appear to be mentioned in the press release). The fact WR have put in writing that promotion will take place from 2030 (rather than being hypothetical/aspirational) makes it politically difficult on the 6N and SANZAAR to renege on that.

Personally I would give the status quo a 3/10 in terms of governance of the international game whereas the above probably elevates it to a 5/10 or even 6/10. Relief is the main emotion that it isn't worse. Sure, current Tier2 players are screwed, but u20 players in these unions should experience signficantly more opportunities during their professional careers. I can't really complain too much about that.

A 41 vs 10 vote, with 30 votes Yes from Tier1 and 3 against (Argentina).

Due to the unique way World Rugby interprets democracy this means the overall vote was likely 20 versus 8 (extremely rough estimate, will be less unions than that). So I make it a majority of unions did vote for this, regardless of how the vote is broken down.

Apparently 38-14 vote would have blocked it, so this was a close call. A democratic majority vote would not have been enough for a change of this magnitude. So the skewed voting system is the only thing that permits 6N and SANZAAR to effectively take ownership of these test windows away from World Rugby.

Latest posts