• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Ireland Coach?

As for Kidney........I'm not happy with it but who gives a flying f*** what I think, if the players can handle it then it's not an issue. [/b]
Those are pretty much my thoughts too. As a Leinster fan, I hate how he shafted the team in the run up to the HC quarter final with Leicester but as an Ireland fan, I want the best man for the job. Kidney appears to be that man.

Well Meyer has confirmed his interest so it'll be interesting to see what route the IRFU go down.

Stupid question but who the **** is Meyer? Anyone offer a bit of info on him?

As for Kidney, yeah was thinking the same thing. Some brave decisions made for the Glouster match and pretty much all of them paid off. He also had the balls to haul off Buckley after 33 mins, a decision that had a huge impact on the match.

Stupid question but who the **** is Meyer? Anyone offer a bit of info on him?[/b]
He coached the Bulls to the Super XIV ***le last year - this year under a new coach they're near (or possibly at) the bottom of the table. He also coached the Blue Bulls to multiple Currie Cups in SA. Meyer was favourite to get the Springboks job but missed out due to the desire to appoint Peter De Villiers for reasons not wholly associated with rugby.

Article in today's Irish Times says that Kidney has all but got the job. Don't see that there's any other option really once White wasn't interested.

Dont see how there is any other option regardless of who is interested. Just wont see an announcment until Munster are out of the Heineken cup.

Betting has gone a bit mental today on Jake White, he's now 1-2 while Kidney has gone from evens to being 6-4, interesting stuff, obviously some serious money exchanging hands but how much of it can be taken seriously remains to be seen. Some interesting rumours flying around as well.

Declan Kidney is clearly the man for the job and will obviously take it if offered the way hes been refusing to make any comment whatsoever. Who cares if he walked out on Leicester its about geting the right man for the job. Hes also shown that hes not afraid to bring in new players wich is what Ireland desperately need.
I dont think Jake White wants the job any way

<div class='quotemain'> Some interesting rumours flying around as well. [/b]
Well dont stop there, do go on ..................
[/b][/quote]

well it's all been in the papers, White being seen in Dublin but Thornley's been quick to play that one down saying he's here for some IRB coaching symposium, apparently some Leinster branch member saying White was a done deal although I've heard nothing about this one yet.

It doesnt look like likely now but it would be great if Ireland got someone in time for the Autemn internationals

well the announcement is due next week so I think we'll be just about alright for the Autumn

All the Sunday papers are once again saying that Kidney has the job. Nothing new there however some are reporting the contents of his coaching staff. Paul McNaughton is to be appointed team manager (probably to keep Leinster sweet) and Gert Smal is swapping the Springboks for the Ireland forward coach role (or Munster if it falls through). Tony McGahan may be coming on board in some capacity, probably as defense coach. Phil Morrow appears set to take over as conditioning coach thus leaving the same position with Ulster.

All the Sunday papers are once again saying that Kidney has the job. Nothing new there however some are reporting the contents of his coaching staff. Paul McNaughton is to be appointed team manager (probably to keep Leinster sweet) and Gert Smal is swapping the Springboks for the Ireland forward coach role (or Munster if it falls through). Tony McGahan may be coming on board in some capacity, probably as defense coach. Phil Morrow appears set to take over as conditioning coach thus leaving the same position with Ulster.
[/b]

The rumor going around is Kidney for Ireland, Bradley for Munster and EOS back to Connaught.

The rumor going around is Kidney for Ireland, Bradley for Munster and EOS back to Connaught. [/b]
I've heard that rumour too.

Bradley to Munster was supposed to be a shoe-in three years ago too, before Kidney expressed interest in the position. I can't see the Munster branch giving him the job now given how Connacht have stagnated under his leadership in both Europe and especially the Magners League.

With O'Sullivan living in Connacht, I can see where the rumour emanates from. Having said that, I think it would be a massive backward step for him. Going from Ireland boss to coach of the "development" province isn't something which I think would appeal to him. In my opinion he'll hold out for a top job in England or France - Biarritz are on the lookout for a new coach and EOS has the type of profile to fit the bill.

A scenario I could see playing out is Niall O'Donovan getting the Munster gig with Gareth Jenkins as forwards coach and assistant head coach. Brian Walsh could be a candidate for backs coach and the heir apparent to the Munster throne once O'Donovan packs it in (when Kidney vacates the Ireland post?).

Also, if Connacht fire Michael Bradley as I think they should, it appears as though Eric Elwood with Dan McFarland as assistant is the most likely replacement team. However Mike Brewer wants a shot at a head coaching job and, given his performance with Leinster, could be an excellent choice.

If Bradley is indeed fired, I could definitely see Eddie O'Sullivan bringing him wherever he goes as assistant.

Latest posts