• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Jersey Launched as WCC Squad Named

M

melon

New Jersey Launched as WCC Squad Named
by Trad McLean
Monday February 12, 2007

lockyer,d.jpg

The Ergon Energy Broncos have today named 14 of the 17 players from their 2006 grand final-winning team for the World Club Challenge tour to England.

Tomorrow an 18-man squad will depart Brisbane for the two-match tour, with the Broncos to play Welsh club Celtic Crusaders in Brigend on February 15, before lining up against English Super League champions St Helens at Bolton’s Reebok Stadium on February 23.

Today head coach Wayne Bennett chose 14 members from last October’s grand final win in the squad, with youngsters Tame Tupou, Steve Michaels, Michael Ennis and Greg Eastwood added.

The only casualty through injury is David Stagg (shoulder reconstruction), with Shane Webcke (retired) and Casey McGuire (Les Catalans Dragons) the other two missing from the 2006 decider.

Darren Lockyer will captain the touring party.

Meanwhile, Broncos captain Darren Lockyer (pictured today) tried on the club’s 2007 jersey for the first time today and was very impressed.

After a long period of consultation with club apparel sponsor Nike, the 2006 premiers will this year wear a jersey that includes innovations never seen before in the NRL.

Topping the list is a chamois panel on the back of the shorts that players will use to dry their hands during a match.

Also aiding handling is a ‘gripper print’ covering the pectoral and upper arm area where a player generally carries the ball.

In addition, this jersey is 20 per cent lighter than the 2006 Broncos jersey.

Nike Dri-fit panels down the jersey and shorts allow the clothing to mould to the form of the body, while a tight neckline reduces the risk of players being tackled around the collar.

Lockyer said the jersey was one of the most streamlined he had ever worn.

“It is very form fitting, which will make it harder for tacklers to grab us by the jersey,’’ he said.

“The chamois panel will also be very useful during a match, especially for players like myself, who handle the ball constantly and need to keep their hands as dry as possible.â€

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said he was excited about the new look the club had, with the 2007 jersey taking on a new appearance with the addition of sponsors Toyota and WOW Sight and Sound.

Toyota’s logo will appear on the back of the jersey, while WOW Sight and Sound have come on board with the premiers as sleeve sponsor for 2007.

“I think the new strip looks smart, is innovative and should help the players perform at their best,†said Cullen.

The Broncos will use the new jersey for the first time when they play the trial match in Wales on Thursday, with Australian viewers to get their first look when the World Club Challenge match against St Helens is broadcast by Channel Nine on the morning of February 24.

WCC SQUAD: Darren Lockyer (captain), Shaun Berrigan, Darius Boyd, Dane Carlaw, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Greg Eastwood, Michael Ennis, Ben Hannant, Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Steve Michaels, Corey Parker, Shane Perry, Brent Tate, Sam Thaiday, Brad Thorn, Tame Tupou.[/b]

Sourced from broncos.com.au

I like the new kit...
in 20 years they'll be playing rugby nude covered in latex.

The colouring around the collar is different...more yellow around it and in a big area. Also big yellow strips around both of the short legs and also the grip strips on the jersey and chamois piece on the shorts.

I must say though my favourite broncos jersey is their current away jersey.

sm_broncos%202006%20jersey%20-%20away.jpg

Does the NRL not have a sponsor this year??

It doen't look like there's one on the logo on the Broncos jersey...

Well i think Telstra is in talks to resign with them but nothing has been confirmed yet, so as of now, I'm pretty sure they don't have a major sponsor. Don't hold me to that, but that is what i last read concerning the matter.

Latest posts