• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New name for "Number 8"

I'll say what I say every time.

Use the German word for it. Sturmführer. Storm Leader. It's a nice way to describe the pack as well.

Suppose that number 8 wasn't an interesting name for a position.
Every other position has a specific name, aside for using the number.
Number 8 is the only position which is described by it's number.
Therefore, number 8 is interesting.
QED.

Actually, I'm disappointed sigesige00. Your suggestions are usually outlandish. This is tame for you.

Suppose that number 8 wasn't an interesting name for a position.
Every other position has a specific name, aside for using the number.
Number 8 is the only position which is described by it's number.
Therefore, number 8 is interesting.
QED.

Actually, I'm disappointed sigesige00. Your suggestions are usually outlandish. This is tame for you.

some of the other positions have several names depending on where you are from - number 9 (halfback, scrum half), number 10 (1st five-eighth, Fly Half ... standoff?), which is why I often refer to there numbers when I refer to those positions in my posts) ... it doesn't always work, as number 7 is a blindside flanker in South Africa, and an openside flanker in most other countries.

Lock actually makes sense. But then what do we re-name the locks? Ball warmers? ;)

das

Lock actually makes sense. But then what do we re-name the locks? Ball warmers? ;)

das

Lol ... I think they might have called the "cauliflower ear brigade" something imaginative like "middle row" or something :)

EDIT: ... I think it was "Second Row" rather than "Middle Row" ... equally as imaginative :)

Last edited:
Lol ... I think they might have called the "cauliflower ear brigade" something imaginative like "middle row" or something :)

EDIT: ... I think it was "Second Row" rather than "Middle Row" ... equally as imaginative :)

Too many head knocks in the game. It's a wonder anyone can even manage two-syllable words, let alone anything longer...or German. ;) When you think of it, whoever was in charge of naming things in rugby must have been a bit of a dunderhead. Not only do you have simple terms like prop, lock, and #8, you have teams with names like the All Blacks, Reds, Blues, Scarlets..."Uh...well...he's...uh...wearing a black jumper...and...uh... black shorts...so I guess he's...uh... ALL black."

das

Sturmführer.

If it wasn't for all the Nazi connotations (only ever properly been used as a paramilitary rank in the SA with later variations in the SS), then that's not actually half bad. considering that "forwards" is "die Stürmer" and most of the other forward names include that too (Flankers = Flügelstürmer, Second row = Zweite-Reihe-Stürmer, literally wing forward and second row forward)

If you change it to "
Stürmerführer" then it could be interpreted as "leader of the forwards", as in the one who controls the pack at the back of the scrum.

Too many head knocks in the game. It's a wonder anyone can even manage two-syllable words, let alone anything longer...or German. ;) When you think of it, whoever was in charge of naming things in rugby must have been a bit of a dunderhead. Not only do you have simple terms like prop, lock, and #8, you have teams with names like the All Blacks, Reds, Blues, Scarlets..."Uh...well...he's...uh...wearing a black jumper...and...uh... black shorts...so I guess he's...uh... ALL black."

das

Other than Australia which name all their teams in every sport poorly - America has some of the worst name teams ever...Nuggets...Jazz. I mean come on.

Other than Australia which name all their teams in every sport poorly - America has some of the worst name teams ever...Nuggets...Jazz. I mean come on.

But then mean something! Nuggets = Gold found in Colorado and other western states. Jazz (Team originated in New Orleans, later moved to Utah) = New Orleans style Jazz.

I'm not saying they're great names, but they could be worse, and there ARE worse team names in the States, but I don't think any come close to rugby league's Rabbitohs. I mean, come on! It sounds like a breakfast cereal!!!

das

Latest posts