• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Scrum Laws??

S

SecondRow04

does anyone like the sound of the new scrum laws?

they are found here Scrum Law

as a forward myself we use similar calls in our matches, i think its for the safety cos of our age, anyway im used to it but for others how do you feel it will change the game? will it help sides more?? or should they have left it be?

Aaron

you've got to imagine that the top sides will adapt to them and eventually there'll be teams dominating with their scrums again.

Second Rower, in your matches are your team allowed to have competitive scrums to a certain degree or are they done in another way?

Yeh we have propper scrums but your only allowed to push the opposition 1 meter

we normally use crouch touch hold engage which is the same as the new law

yeah that's the same as over here, was just wondering if there was any difference.

Don't play for any club, only once for the schools seconds team but that's another story, but my brother in law was one of the coaches with one of the schools in the Leinster Schools Cup competition and I went to all but one of their matches last year, so that was where I noticed the difference in the scrummaging.

This rule I think is a "universal" U19 law, which is being adapted to the top level of the sport. In U19's the call is "Crouch, Touch and Pause, Engage". Also, you can only push the scrum 1.5 metres and can only wheel 45 degrees after which point the team originally feeding the ball gets the put in again. If a push or wheel past the set point occurs the referee has the right to penalise the offending team - it is suggested however that he/she warns the players that the scrum is past the 45 or has been pushed 1.5 metres.

the Crouch! Touch! Hold! Engage!!! call was indeed written in the u-19's section of the law book... Basically it will limit the distance between the 2 front rows so the speed of each impact will be decreased... some props will actually distance himself further to gain momentum in the impact, or to intentionally de-stabilise the scrum... which is definitely dangerous!

As a forward who plays backrow most of the time, and played front row in my recent internationals I believe this is actually a good thing... now you can definitely show the true power of your forwards in the scrum!

The Rugby Union here, the Arabian Gulf RFU has called their referees, myself included, to attend a class today to familiarize us with this new scrum laws... I will post more about it after the class...

I think it only makes sense. The new law should only help to protect the necks of the players in the scrum.

Well, Got back from the ref school pretty late last nite... The whole presentation shouldnt last more than 2 hours but the discussion was horribly long! I guess you would never want to be in a room full of refs at any time! lol.. anyway, all this thing about the new law that i've learnt if any from last nite...

The obvious "Crouch! Touch! Pause! Engage!!" calls will now be used by refs, this is a definite safety feature for scrums as it will deny the ability to charge in a scrum and obviously depowers it slightly.

1. In "Crouch" referees will now wait until both teams are ready to say "Crouch!" Unlike in many old cases where the refs will immediately say "Crouch and Hold!" refs will have to make sure all are ready before calling "Crouch"

2. In "Touch!" the 4 props must touch their opponent's shoulder, and RETRACT their arms IMMEDIATELY, failing to do so will result in Free Kick...

3. "Hold" will be called AFTER the props touch and let go...

4. "Engage" will obviously follows... and as what they say, "it is not a command but a signal that the front rows may engage" which i think is utter ********... it is a command!!! hahaha...

Another thing about the new scrum laws... there will be A LOT of free kicks around scrummage, and only 2 penalties...
the 2 being Charging (front row retracting after touch and engages) and Incorrect Binding by front rows (to de-stabilise the scrum)
One thing they emphasise so much last nite is that these laws are done to ensure SAFETY... which i think makes sense... well, that is all from me for now... hope this clears a lot of doubts...

Latest posts