• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Video

Wouldn't get too excited... shows very little but suppose it's some more footage!

Originally posted by toup@Jan 17 2006, 07:05 PM
Wouldn't get too excited... shows very little but suppose it's some more footage!
Don't worry, I'm not getting excited about this game - it appears to have improved, but I will wait and see before buying.

I heard there were 25 set plays you could choose from, so why do they only show off 3?

also saw at the end of one on the set plays someone was trying to do an offload and ended up knocking on, thats cool

wasnt to bad, still think they should get rid of grant fox, though i was ready for him this time

im very impressed with the way this game is looking - it looks so silky and sweet

Same 2 moves over and over, the outhalf still stands still about 10 metres behind the scrum/ruck.

looks very slow and mechanical - looks like the slow animations are back

yeh i agree, the passing looks a tad clunky in the animation department. although the set moves look pretty good this time. the ai hopefully wont shut them down early on like they did in 2005. hopefully theyre not well sign posted either for multiplayer. you could tell when the flyhalf was going cut out a player or do a run around.

outhalf still takes the ball standing, not even walking or jogging. Not much improvement really.

Originally posted by cavan@Jan 19 2006, 04:16 AM
outhalf still takes the ball standing, not even walking or jogging. Not much improvement really.
Could've sworn that the 2nd and 3rd moves (Welsh, then Scottish) - the flyhalf begins to run on to the ball.

Not taking it at pace or anything, but a couple steps before receiving the ball.

I'm thinking though that they might only do this slight 'run' onto the ball when you're performing a set play . . .

You guys ever played real rugby yourselves? There's bugger all plays where the first five sprints onto a halfbacks pass. Hit ups or crash ball is mostly taken up by the 2nd five or centre. At first five you only usually get up a jog at best. Re-watch some of the major tests of last year and you'll notice that about a third of the time the first five is taking it at half pace and sometimes it's a static position to relay the ball on!

The halfback's job is to clear the ruck, the first five co-ordinates the attack, and from there plays happen. I'm not saying the first five never runs onto a ball, but it's more like in JLR in real life, the first five only sort of fast jogs at best onto the ball, otherwise you'd have a fraction of a second before you'd hit the defence, which is moving up on you. The first five is not set deep enough to sprint onto the ball, unless he's crashing it up.

I do believe that R2005 did have it wrong because the first five was too sluggish to respond and couldn't have felt any more like he had lead boots. Thats because sometimes the first five needs to be one of the quickest players off the mark, as he is in charge of giving the outside backs space and time. To do this you need to make snappy, fast decisions and manouver quickly. Which in R2005 was impossible.

In set plays more often than not the first five only has to get the ball to the correct player after two strides and sprinting onto the ball doesn't provide the necessary time to do that. For Dan Carter or anyone. Often he's scored tries from broken play, or coming into a move later. Not running onto the ball during a set play.

So, while we'd like to see a first five with quick responsiveness do we need to see them flying onto the ball from 15 metres back. The answer is no.

Exactly.

But no one said sprinting. We were (at least I was) talking about general movement from the flyhalf.

Not meaning you, Cap. Your usually very much on the money!
<

Hey CA just noticed the picture of your dog I love it. Yup all points made where pretty much spot on. The Fly-half only ever takes it at full pace if he has already made the decision to take on his opposite number or smash it up. At fly-half you have to be deciding on the set move even before the next phase as the time & space for a fly-half is so limited.

Sounds like you've played a game or two yourself, Bokke!

I looked back at what others had posted and I suppose they weren't really expecting the flyhalf to sprint on, but as long as they realise that being able to make a fast, clear decision is first priority at no:10.

Finally got round to putting up an avatar and a sig.

By the way, that dog is a freak! He actually tries to bat the tennis ball with his paws quite often when I throw it up for him. My other dog just catches it!

Also, cool Lion! Don't find those too near to my house. They'd freeze to death!
<

On CAs sig:

No, no, you got it wrong...In a couple of years time Ronaldinho will be the next Your Dog!

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Jan 20 2006, 11:40 PM
Sounds like you've played a game or two yourself, Bokke!

By the way, that dog is a freak! He actually tries to bat the tennis ball with his paws quite often when I throw it up for him. My other dog just catches it!

Also, cool Lion! Don't find those too near to my house. They'd freeze to death!
<
Yup still playing can`t stop!! Not exactly easy to get out of the system although I play 7 so I am the one normally trying to smash the fly half
<
. Man I love dogs.

Yup my mate is a game ranger on an exclusive game reserve so I am pretty spoilt on the wild life front.

Latest posts