• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Noble wants more union poaching

I still expect Wigan to come good this season, Noble or otherwise. Though I'm not so sure signing Piggy in the Riddell was where the room on the salary cap should have gone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Feb 17 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I still expect Wigan to come good this season, Noble or otherwise. Though I'm not so sure signing Piggy in the Riddell was where the room on the salary cap should have gone.[/b]

We were crying out for a hooker though. I know many people suddenly seem to think the sun shines out of Higham's arse but it's not a view I share.
Seems Riddell has struggled in the first two games...

I think Higham is average as well. One Trick Mick. Can't pass, can't kick, can only run. Maybe we'll see more of Riddell when its drier and warmer, as we so often do with Aussies, but I am surprised the wages weren't spent on a replacement for Barrett. Overrated cheap shot merchant he might be, he could dig Wigan out of the **** when things got tough. I can't see Leuleui or Tim Smith doing that. And I can see already Tim Smith is going to get punted in defence. He needs to bulk up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Overrated cheap shot merchant[/b]

*cough* Pryce, Hooper *cough* ;)

I know what you mean though regards lack of replacement. Leuleui is possibly a better hooker than he is a scrum half and Smith hasn't shown anything yet.

Still... there's always Lockyer for next year :D

At least Pryce and Hooper don't and didn't come in over the top of a completed tackle like Cheap Shot Trent! ;)

I have a feeling Lockyer will be at Wigan next year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 17 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 17 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (getofmeland @ Feb 17 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could be interesting to see what happens especially with the wasps situation?[/b]

There is only one person Wigan would want from Wasps.
[/b][/quote]

Phil Vickery? :huh:
[/b][/quote]

Noble would probably play him on the wing :D

You mean Sean Edwards, the biggest shitehawk in league history, don't you?

Legend, but a shitehawk all the same! Even DannyMcGuire doesn't profit from the hard work of others as much as Edwards did. Not that that's a criticism.

My son is called Shaun B)

Mind you.... I doubt I would have got Ellery past the wife :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Feb 17 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There are a few guys that I'd like to see switch over.
I don't see why both Harlequins clubs aren't cross promoting, I'm sure there are a few wily backrow forwards/outside backs that could really learn a lot about the physicality of rugby (as a whole sport, both codes) and other things like better ways to run onto the ball, breaking the line, putting other players in space and holding up tackles by switching to rugby league.

I'm talking about guys who are in the development stages, maybe even just a season or two. James Haskell, it would have been interesting if he'd been sent to London Broncos (I assume that's what they would have been called when he was that age) for a season, he'd maybe be more useful in broken play...well even more useful, and he'd be able to use his physicality properly...as opposed to resorting to tripping etc.

In short, I think Union players could learn a lot from playing League, and League players could learn a lot from playing Union.[/b]

Yeah I think exactly the same.

I am first and foremost a Union fan, but certainly the skill level in attack, and the brutality and organisation in defence, are both much higher in League.

I would make it a habit sending all my 18 year old centres and fullbacks off to play a season of League. Because, especially in England, we're developing beefcake centres who can't remember how to do simple things like straighten the line; take and give a pass quickly and fullbacks need to improve their running angles.

I don't really see there's much to be gained from Union for League players though, because RL has taken an aspect of Rugby and perfected it (unpicking defences/ defending in general)... the other bits don't happen. So a young League guy crossing over would only really learn about contesting posession which is useless in League.

The only thing a young league player could learn from union would be the art of scrummaging - and that would be needless.

Latest posts