TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_52006315_110934249.jpg

Northampton Saints have signed the Saracens and England Saxons wing Noah Cato for next season.

The 23-year-old has scored 80 points in his 63 appearances for Sarries.

Cato told the club's website: "Northampton is one of the best clubs in the Premiership in terms of match-day atmosphere.

"Saints have a competitive team and it will be exciting to be involved in that. Playing in a back three with two England players will be exciting."

Brighton-born Cato made his Saracens debut in 2007 and cemented a place in their first team in the 2008/09 season.

"Saracens has been a good place for me to learn and I'm leaving without any bad memories. My experiences there have certainly helped shape me as a person," he added.

"But I also believe that it is time for me to kick on and hopefully establish myself at the Saints next season.

"I'm looking forward to working with all the coaches at Franklin's Gardens, and I'm sure that with their help I can develop my game and hopefully help the team continue improving as well."

Northampton's director of rugby Jim Mallinder insisted that Cato is an exciting addition to the Saints squad.

"Noah has shown his abilities and potential for several seasons, both at club level and with England Under-20s and the Saxons," he said.

"He can play both on the wing and at full back, and has pace and skill with the ball in hand. He is certainly an excellent prospect who will bring something good to our squad as we continue to build for the future."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/northampton/9446860.stm

Replacement for Reihana?
If he can get his form back it'll be a great signing - was looking like one of the most promising English wingers a season or two ago

Obviously there' something special happening at the Saints ...

Replacement for Reihana?
If he can get his form back it'll be a great signing - was looking like one of the most promising English wingers a season or two ago

Rumoured that Reihana hasn't been offered a new contract yet - Part of his current deal was the option of a further 12 months depending how much he plays this season, which apparently is why he's been left as a sub more often then starts. I hope he's at least given a pay-per-play contract otherwise Saints could be potentially missing most of the backs until November (Flash, Foden, Pisi & The Russian all at the WC, Ansbro leaving, Geraghty and Downey maybe also off).

The bect that could be made in Saints backs in that case will be something like

9. Dickson
10. Lamb/Myler
11. Digger
12. Myler/*BIG F-OFF GAPING HOLE*
13. Clarke
14. Cato
15. Reihana

As for signing Cato - Maybe great, worrying about his defence however. Not as chuffed as I'd have previously been.

Tom May would probably be the inside centre during the World Cup (if Downey and Geraghty both leave)

Perennially living in the reserves. Decent kicking boot on him (from what I've seen) but he's still wet behind the ears. I'd give it a couple more seasons before he kicks on.

Latest posts