• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton

There should be a salary cap.
[/b]

There is a salary cap muppet. So because we've filled ours with players who are apparently Premiership quality, we should be forced to cancel all their contracts now we've gone down, just to make next season a level playing field?

This is professional rugby, not a childrens sports day. We have the facilities and support base of a Premiership club. I want to see us get back to that standard as quickly as possible. That doesn't mean we should jetison our best players just so everyone gets a fair go.

Why don't Leicester, Wasps and Gloucester give some of their better players to teams at the other end of the GP, just to even things up?

I don't see it happening somehow. And nor should it.

oops about not knowing the salary cap - its got to be huge if northampton stick to it. I looked around and couldn't find word of it, but i'll trust you're right.

'Why don't Leicester, Wasps and Gloucester give some of their better players to teams at the other end of the GP, just to even things up?'

that's a bit silly. And it's still unfair but i see no easy soloution round it. Maybe do what the French Pro D2 do and be only alowed 2 foreign players. That would ensure only talent and training wins, not a big budget where you can ship in foreign hasbeens!

that's a bit silly.[/b]

Why is it?

You suggested we get rid of our best players in order to give other teams a better shot at promotion. Why shouldn't the lower teams in the Guinness Premiership be given a go at winning the ***le?

Because they aren't good enough is why. I don't enjoy seeing Leicester winning, don't have it in me, but I respect the side they have built up.

If they go out and thrash teams like Leeds next season then good on them.

The whole point of a league is that is best teams finish at the top end, the worst near the bottom. If we play well enough next season to finish top of NL1 we deserve to go back up. Simple as that.

you've still avoided the point i made about pro D2 which makes a lot of sense! And leicester have a prodominatnly english side.

you've still avoided the point i made about pro D2 which makes a lot of sense! And leicester have a prodominatnly english side.
[/b]

English clubs are only allowed to field one foreign player in any given match. Look it up.

There are many ways around the law however, a hell of a lot of loopholes which can be exploited.

On the other point, some of Leicester's key players this season - Tuilagi, Rabeni, Gibson, Castrogiovanni, Jennings, Murphy, Humphreys, Ayerza, Cullen - none of them are English.

They do have some top English talent, but I could pick out examples of key players from every club who aren't English. Singling Saints out for criticism on the foreign player front is hyporitical at best.

i said prodomantnly english not completely english. I won't insult you by listing the players. northampton are just the epitomy of it. Aren't they one of the wealthiest clubs around as well?

We are one of the few clubs in the country making profit every season.

What does that have to do with who we should and shouldn't be allowed to sign?

I don't see your point.

What do you want us to do? Play with all the backs' legs tied together? Blindfold Spencer?

I want to see us go out and crush teams, then share a beer with them afterwards. It's sport, teams don't go around feeling sorry for others.

Northampton's relegated... ouff.. what a disaster.. what you guys think though? I mean we do have quite a number of saints in our midst, will you still be faithful to your club? or will you not attend the games? will you guys be able to conquer national league one???? [/b]

c'était bien la peine d'éliminer biarritz putain....

<div class='quotemain'> Northampton's relegated... ouff.. what a disaster.. what you guys think though? I mean we do have quite a number of saints in our midst, will you still be faithful to your club? or will you not attend the games? will you guys be able to conquer national league one???? [/b]

c'était bien la peine d'éliminer biarritz putain....

[/b][/quote]

Was a pitty, wasn't it?... ha!

At least the Premiership doesn't have a playoff for promotion relegation.
The NPC in New Zealand operated under a promotion relegation playoff game at the end of the season.

How a team that played an entire season in the top flight is supposed to lose to the top team from the lower division was beyond me. And beyond reality as the top 2nd div team would thrash the losing 2nd div finalist and then be humiliated by the big boys in the promotion/relegation game and stay down.

At least if you lose the Premiership you actually lose something of value. And have a greater (and more realistic) incentive for winning the lower comp.

Latest posts