• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton's Return to the Premiership

N

NSRFC_Saint

So with Northampton's surprising promotion all but guaranteed, what does everyone think will happen next season, i.e. Who will they sign? Who should they sign? Who will leave? Who will stay? and more importantly will they stay up and be succesful?

Well considering we've already signed Best, Wilson, Mayor and Mordt, things aren't looking too bad on the transfer front. Wouldn't expect to hear many more confirmed until promotion has definately been achieved though.

Ben Foden and Shontayne Hape appear to be other names on the horizon. Other than that we need a top class lock, a prop, another scrum-half and perhaps another flanker.

Potential line-up for next season at the moment, obviously without any signings which will be announed before next season. Or players which may leave for that matter:

1. Tiny
2. Hartley
3. Murray
4. Short
5. Lord/Browne
6. Easter/Hopley
7. Best
8. Wilson

9. Robinson (Foden?)
10. Spencer/Myler

11. Lamont
12. Kydd/Mordt (Hape?)
13. Clarke/Mayor
14. Ashton
15. Reihana

Not looking terrible thus far, but there are areas which need strengthening. To be honest, much as I'd love us to return and challenge immediately, I'd be happy with a consolidating season culminating in a finish between 8th and 10th.

I think Northampton coming up is great for the league No offense to Leeds but they would be better off sticking to league as they have no heritage or interest from the city to support them.Northampton are a proper rugby club with a good support and excellent facilities. Staying up is by no means guaranteed but they have Mr Barwell and his millions to back them up as he seems to be doing. Best is a good signing and im sure there will be many more to come.

Staying up is by no means guaranteed but they have Mr Barwell and his millions to back them up as he seems to be doing. Best is a good signing and im sure there will be many more to come. [/b]

Mr Barwell has not given the club a penny of his money since we became a PLC back in 2000. The club makes its own money, the club loses its own money.

But thanks for the nice comments. :) I 'm really looking forward to visiting the likes of Kingsholm again.

Another question, not only with the Saints be signing a few more players for next season but everyone else will be, who will be weaker than us for the season coming up? i'm thinking Worcester

As with our Kiwis, I think Worcester's imports need time to adjust to the GP style of rugby and fortunately they have time to adapt in the form of Leeds. When they do finally click, they could tear a few teams apart, but by then will it be time for them to go home again?

I think Bristol could struggle further next season unless they sort their forwards out who have maybe gone 1 season too far. But hey, what do I know? I thought they would struggle when they came back from Div 1.

Apart from Newcastle who seem to be our brothers in the ***le "perennial underachievers", all the other teams in the division look pretty strong.

I'm hoping for 6th next season but expecting 8th.

From September until Xmas next year, Saints will struggle. Not maybe due to the lack of talent what with the new signings (Best, Foden etc) and the young superstars (Hartley, Ashton et al), but simply because they will struggle getting used to the pace and intensity of the league.

Come the new year when they all gel however and I wouldn't see a resurgense similar to tht of the 50/06 season.

7th/8th finish will be my guess.

I'm hoping for a top 6 finish really. Its a pretty tall order, but you've got to aim fairly high, and I think that we seem to be signing a number of players with a point to prove - when you look at people like Foden and Mayor they'll be wanting to show Sale what they're missing and the two Ulster lads will be keen to prove to everyone that they can hack the Premiership. On top of that you've got a group of players currently with the side who will be wanting to get back into the Premiership with a bang. I think it could be pretty potent, although we're probably 2 or 3 players short right now.

From September until Xmas next year, Saints will struggle. Not maybe due to the lack of talent what with the new signings (Best, Foden etc) and the young superstars (Hartley, Ashton et al), but simply because they will struggle getting used to the pace and intensity of the league.

Come the new year when they all gel however and I wouldn't see a resurgense similar to tht of the 50/06 season.

7th/8th finish will be my guess. [/b]

Logical assessment. If that's how it pans out, i expect next years 6N to be a key time for saints, as they probably won't be as decimated by call ups as some other clubs.

I wouldn't be supprised if Saints lose Dylan Hartley, Chris Ashton, Joe Ansbro and maybe Ben Foden to England next year. Add that to Sean Lamont, Robbie Kydd and Euan Murry away to Scotland then Best and Wilson to Ireland, and we could well be buggered.

Have to admit its been a waste of time for Northampton in National League for me, it was easy to se that thye were going to storm the league!

I think Northampton coming up is great for the league No offense to Leeds but they would be better off sticking to league as they have no heritage or interest from the city to support them.Northampton are a proper rugby club with a good support and excellent facilities. Staying up is by no means guaranteed but they have Mr Barwell and his millions to back them up as he seems to be doing. Best is a good signing and im sure there will be many more to come. [/b]

Leeds are a proper Rugby club :bleh!:

<div class='quotemain'> I think Northampton coming up is great for the league No offense to Leeds but they would be better off sticking to league as they have no heritage or interest from the city to support them.Northampton are a proper rugby club with a good support and excellent facilities. Staying up is by no means guaranteed but they have Mr Barwell and his millions to back them up as he seems to be doing. Best is a good signing and im sure there will be many more to come. [/b]

Leeds are a proper Rugby club :bleh!:

[/b][/quote]

They're bloody well not.

I wouldn't be supprised if Saints lose Dylan Hartley, Chris Ashton, Joe Ansbro and maybe Ben Foden to England next year. Add that to Sean Lamont, Robbie Kydd and Euan Murry away to Scotland then Best and Wilson to Ireland, and we could well be buggered. [/b]

I think you're wrong on the England contingent. Not that the players lack in ability, more that playing well and having ability doesn't neccessarily equate to international oportunities. Hartley is well on the England radar, Foden to a certain extent but with the current choice of wingers, Ashton could be waiting a while for chances.

That was said about Strettle the season before last.

Ashton is easily the fastest player in the country with an uncanny nack of finding the line - His Super League record is enough to show he can do the job against tough defences (ask any Wigan fan). Not to mention he's also (albeit currently untested) a full back.

Once he's got up to full pace, should Sackey, Cueto, Balshaw, Lewsey, Varndell, Vinakolo or *randomnewcastleplayer* get selected ahead of him, it will be a clear example of what is wrong in the entire England setup.

Straight back down? [/b]

Leeds, yep.

Saints, no. It'll be Worcester next year. Or Newcastle will go into administration and be relegated by default.

Once he's got up to full pace, should Sackey, Cueto, Balshaw, Lewsey, Varndell, Vinakolo or *randomnewcastleplayer* get selected ahead of him, it will be a clear example of what is wrong in the entire England setup.
[/b]

and you can pretty much count on that happening, talented though Ashton is.

It'll be nice to see how Ashton gets on with regular high-level level games, and given his record (in both league and uinon already), it should be good, and hopefully he'll get the recognition (England-wise) that he deserves. I know it's common for a relegated Prem team to dominate the first division, but that doesn't reduce the fact that breaking the try-scoring record off only 15 starts is impressive!

I don't think Saints will go straight back, the fact they still manage to pull in regular crowds of over 10000 suggests that they'll be able to sort something out - I'd go for Worcester next season (and Leeds I think pretty definately this season...)

Latest posts