• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Driscoll- Best player of year?

I don't hold the tackle against Tana Umanga ...It was thuggish and idiotic potentially life threatening , but you cant base your opinion on him upon one act.

The reason I don't mention Tana is because I never watched a lot of SH rugby as a young chap so I don't know enough on him to comment.

I'd just like to point ut that most Irish fans are complete crap, the ones who say Umanga tried to kill BOD should be put in the WUM section. Even if they are serious just pay them no attention. There is a reason for this it's because we get waaaay to far ahead of ourselves, after the Italy game in the WC I heard people talking about the final, we get excited and talk complete crap because thats just how we are.

Back on topic, Player of the year no. Player of decade right up there competing with McCaw and Carter. Best Irish player ever yes. Best center ever hard to say.

Johnny Wilkinson is the most breakable, injury prone, self-destructive back I know. That's not a dig, I'm sure every English fan will agree with me.

Maybe he had more injuries than Carter, but he did it on the biggest stage, a World Cup victory and a Final with one of the worst teams in World Cup finals history.

Carter went missing in the last two world cups, terrific player but, man up take a teaspoon of cement and harden up!!
Jonny was a one man band and still did better than Carter, that must count for something!!!!

What do you mean by self destructive?, Jonny is the Coolest head i have ever seen on a Rugby field.

Last edited:
1. His fans annoy me. A lot. You listen to them and it's like he's the greatest rugby player ever, which while he's good, I don't think he's that good. I have heard every last fan ***** and maon about a spear tackle that happened six years ago and the same people rules that the Warburton as an unfortunate mistake. There have been hundreds of spear tackles since the Umaga/Mealamu incident and yet people go mental over that one. The Irish press were amazing, some even calling it an attempt on BOD's life, while other call it the single worst act they've ever seen on a rugby field and that Umaga should be banned for life. Every Irish person I know says BOD, best player of all time, SOB best flanker in the world, Sexton is the next DC, Tommy Bowe is the best wing in the world and a majority of them fizzle into mediocrite, it's just in this instance BOD has been consistant.

2. My god, did he whinge and moan about it. Wouldn't talk to Umaga after the incident etc. I understand being annoyed, I've had my collar bone broken because someone was being an idiot doing a flip in martial arts and dumped me on a plank of wood. I was ******, but I accepted sh*t happens in a contact situation and after months of rehab I walked to the gym and shaked the guys hand.

3. People claim Brian O'Driscoll is god. Tana Umaga is god. I'm a Monotheist.

People are allowed their opinions about people they're allowed think Buckley is the best ever but that shouldn't make you hate him I don't like your love of some N.Z. players but doesn't mean I hate them. O'Driscoll didn't moan or want to make a big deal about it Campbell did. Also Umaga didn't apologise that's why he wouldn't talk to him.

By the way I do think BO'D is the best centre in the world probably ever he can do anything your beloved Smith can do and more.

I don't think SO'B is the best flanker in the world no I think Ferris is.:D

Oh and I think Mitchell's the best winger.

Also how have any of those players fizzled into mediocrite.

Maybe he had more injuries than Carter, but he did it on the biggest stage, a World Cup victory and a Final with one of the worst teams in World Cup finals history.

Carter went missing in the last two world cups, terrific player but, man up take a teaspoon of cement and harden up!!
Jonny was a one man band and still did better than Carter, that must count for something!!!!

What do you mean by self destructive?, Jonny is the Coolest head i have ever seen on a Rugby field.

What I mean is, he'd put his body on the line to make a huge hit and then he'd be injured for the next four weeks.

Latest posts