• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

off topic section

Should posts count in the off topic section?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
N

neck

i am not saying thats it wrong that posts are not counted in the off topic section but just want to see what others think?

Post count is nothing,

the whole reason we got rid of it in Off Topic was because it was the oneliners and people just posting crap...

We will not be changing it back on the result of this poll

Posts dont count in Off Topic because of the reason above. Also post counts shouldn't be visible full stop imo. Pointless imo....

This post is now more than one line.

Neck's a new member, he will have no idea about the reason that Off Topic posts were switched off:

Basically neck, people were posting in Off Topic to try and boost their post count. TRF was a state in October, when I took solo charge, and that was one of the things I introduced to prevent spam.

I fully intend to turn post count off shortly. It's been replaced by rep.

Originally posted by getofmeland@Jun 21 2006, 06:56 AM
the whole reason we got rid of it in Off Topic was because it was the oneliners and people just posting crap...
and what is the problem with that? Seriously, (either way, I guess) it isn't that big a deal.

Originally posted by Dr. Fantomas Jr.+Jun 22 2006, 12:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-getofmeland
@Jun 21 2006, 06:56 AM
the whole reason we got rid of it in Off Topic was because it was the oneliners  and people just posting crap...
and what is the problem with that? Seriously, (either way, I guess) it isn't that big a deal. [/b]
You're right, it isn't a big deal.... Exactly why we want to get rid of it. No so much on this forum anymore, but certainly something that happens everywhere, especially with people with very small genitals, is that people see the size of their post count as the size of their wisdom and authority. Most of the time a 10 billion post count would be 90% crap, and 8% good.... with a 2% margin of error......

Take my posts for example. The only reason my posts go quite far occasionally is because of this.....................

And

this

.........Hmmm. I could say a lot more in my posts but I don't because I'm a douchebag who needs to post nonsensical ramblings to increase my e-penis..........

St Helen I personally thinks you should leave things the way they are leave the post count there as it should be something you are proud its like you have run this forum for some time now and have made a bloody good job of it and to have your post count wiped would be a shame and like me for example i am proud to have gotten to 190 posts i never thought i would see the day i got that many and would like to keep my post count.

Even if you were going to wipe that please at least leave them in your profile so if you want to check how many posts you have made you can check you profile.

Originally posted by Candyman@Jun 22 2006, 12:29 PM
St Helen I personally thinks you should leave things the way they are leave the post count there as it should be something you are proud its like you have run this forum for some time now and have made a bloody good job of it and to have your post count wiped would be a shame and like me for example i am proud to have gotten to 190 posts i never thought i would see the day i got that many and would like to keep my post count.

Even if you were going to wipe that please at least leave them in your profile so if you want to check how many posts you have made you can check you profile.
i agree with Candyman, leave everything the way it is

yeah the post count shouldn't be taken away, it kind of gives people a ranking, you can tell alot about a person and there invloement in this forum by how many posts they have posted

yeah but some people do post rubbish, i dont mind if the post count is taken away as long as you can still see how much you have contributed to the forum. you dont need to see what everyone else has done.

the rep system is ok... but still a little flawed as how many people here actually bother raising rep?

actually how many people bother lwring rep? i dont, i think thats mean as most of the time its the persons opinion that counts. i think i have neg reped one person that was because they neg reped someone without paying attention to why they were doing it.

i think this could be one of my longest posts in history

not really. people live trev have only a post count in the hundreds, yet hes one of the most respected people here (although he has somewhat doged the rep system as the release of rc2006 was when he posted, before the rep system) kinkon has 2000+ posts, yet he is the least respected member of the forum. ak47, jj, el tk, robbinho are all a fair way down in posts, yet i would rate them alot higher than the people above him.

infact the only people whos post count and rep match would be kaftka, gg, jj and sanzar - from a quick look over.

Originally posted by woosaah@Jun 22 2006, 02:17 PM
as long as you can still see how much you have contributed to the forum. yo
those rugby balls are there for a reason.

My god.... Why do you think we have the Rep system. If somebody has a post count of 2000, that certainly doesn't make them any better than somebody with just 50.

I know we aren't supposed to talk about him, but take Los Lover. He creamed himself over the fact that he had a 1500 post count, but I would certainly pick someone like Hypnotised who has something like 200 posts well before Los in my top 20 members of all time...

The whole reason we introduced the Rep system is because we were getting rid of the post count. Saying the post count is a good indication of how immense your Authority and power is is like saying that you're awesome ecause you say so................................. If you know what I mean.
Other peoples opinions on how valuable you are is far far more accurate. And it also encourages less spam... Discourages spam... You know?

...We just need the Rep system to work a little better.

Originally posted by kaftka@Jun 22 2006, 03:50 PM
I know we aren't supposed to talk about him, but take Los Lover. He creamed himself over the fact that he had a 1500 post count, but I would certainly pick someone like Hypnotised who has something like 200 posts well before Los in my top 20 members of all time...
Why?

Sure Hypnotised, when he does post, posts solid well thought out arguments. But we have to remember than for a forum to grow you need regular posters. What good is an member who hardly ever posts? Los, for all those posts, did infact post a lot of well thought out rugby topics and replies. Overlooking the "crap" that went down, and ignoring his personality, I'd say that in terms of ontopic contribution Los is far superior to many other "respected" members.

Eric, good point... However, it's sort of a double-negative. He posted about 10 times as much crap as he did good stuff. That means he made about 150 decent to half-decent posts. Hypnotised must have made about 180-187 decent posts. Thats 30-37 more decent posts than Los Lover. Thats about 90% good stuff. And in my world, percentage is everything. Thats why we need percentage with the Rep system.... Just to bring that up again.

And of course regulars are important. Good regulars. Nice ones. Not mean ones.

Latest posts