• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

OK, here's where this game needs the most work

L

lemon

Someone tell me, is the ANY reason to bind players into a ruck??? Any at all? It seems to me whether you win possesion or not comes down to whose man gets into that horrible "lie down" animation first.

IMO the breakdown should work similar to JLR. You get more players to the breakdown and push over the ball to win it. You need to be able to pull players out and push them back into the ruck to gain momentum.

What drives me crazy is playing a good territory game and getting down the field only to see my tackled man hit the deck and all my forwards standing there watching him until the oppostion guy goes into the "lie down" to turn the ball over. I HAVE 6 FORWARDS STANDING RIGHT THERE! I should be able to send them over that ruck to win the ball... but hitting X to bind them just pulls men out of what is now my defensive line. I have ZERO chance of winning that ball so why even bind players in?

Know what I mean? I have almost no other frustrations with this game, it really is a HUGE step up from anything we've had before. But this lack of any control at the breakdown drives me nuts a bit.

Thoughts?

I know its frustrating, but if these turn overs werent there it would be sooo easy, so hopefully in 2006 they can find a better way of making it tough than insant turnovers. I agree that adding players to a ruck seems to do nothing.

fully agreed

they should have called this Rugby League 2005

there's no breakdown control

its automated

feels like a league game

its the only problem i have with the game...........but what an enormous part of rugby to automate

also whats with the 3 man contorlled line-outs
there's 7 men in these line-outs...........there's more than 7 buttons on the controller - why cant i thow to whomever i want, and why cant i do a set play from a line-out??

grubbers = pointless excercise
garyowens = turnover

again which APES tested this game prior to release?

When is a rugby game going to have manual turnovers/steals?

All turnovers are so random.. say one on one, the player tackles him, lies on the ground the magically the ball gets turned over. Crap i tell you!

My biggest problem with the game is the horrible defensive AI, particularly in the backline, nothing like having your defenders give the opposition a 3 on 1 overlap by just standing doing nothing, its a travesty, and really comes out in 2 player games.

But still, the rucks were shite in 2004, they're shite in 2005. No surprises there.

No, they are not random.

The bar at the top shows how many players you have in there.

You'll find that if you've got more the other team you'll have a good shot at turning it over. This is very obvious when the other team (CPU or Human) takes too long to get the ball out of a ruck when you have more men in there.

Agreed it could be a little better, but the more you play you'll see.

I thought it was random at first, but the more I play it, the more I've learnt about it and that it is not random, and in turn, appreicated it.

Jamie Gough

Oh well, I guess nothing's perfect, though I wish the rucks were a little better too. But, I think it helps if you choose your style of ruck (Tight, Wide, etc.) using the D-pad. (I have the Xbox version) Can anyone verify?

Originally posted by USA_Rugby@Mar 21 2005, 01:41 PM
Oh well, I guess nothing's perfect, though I wish the rucks were a little better too. But, I think it helps if you choose your style of ruck (Tight, Wide, etc.) using the D-pad. (I have the Xbox version) Can anyone verify?
Dunno if it's actually a 'style' of ruck. I was under the impression it was the formation of your backs.

Tho, rumour does have it that that on defence, picking your defensive formation helps with turnovers. I.e. your in their 22, a trying to get that turnover, putting guys in, and by pushing 'up', for that 'kick formation' will help getting that turnover because it's the right option to pick. God knows how, but thats word around the campfire.

I hate camping.

Jamie Gough

I guess you're right, it isn't really a 'style' is it?
<
I made an oopsie!
<

Originally posted by USA_Rugby@Mar 21 2005, 01:50 PM
I guess you're right, it isn't really a 'style' is it?
<
I made an oopsie!
<
If you want to talk about style, and 'oopies', then I'm ya man.

I own like 4 Hawaiian shirts (bought around 1998) that I havn't been able to have the balls to throw away yet, hopeing that they will come into style, like they did for about 2 seconds in the late 90's.
<

Everyone makes oopies, me more than others! Hah, it's cool.

<

Jamie Gough

Originally posted by jgough@Mar 21 2005, 01:37 PM
No, they are not random.

You'll find that if you've got more the other team you'll have a good shot at turning it over. This is very obvious when the other team (CPU or Human) takes too long to get the ball out of a ruck when you have more men in there.
I disagree. I can have my whole forward pack standing there and I'm hitting X like crazy but NONE of my guys will bind to the ruck UNTIL a player on the other team "lies down". I can go a whole game without binding players to the ruck and if my guy "lies down" I win possession, if their guys "lies down" they win it.

Originally posted by lemon+Mar 21 2005, 01:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lemon @ Mar 21 2005, 01:58 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jgough
@Mar 21 2005, 01:37 PM
No, they are not random.

I disagree. I can have my whole forward pack standing there and I'm hitting X like crazy but NONE of my guys will bind to the ruck UNTIL a player on the other team "lies down". I can go a whole game without binding players to the ruck and if my guy "lies down" I win possession, if their guys "lies down" they win it. [/b]
i agree lemon

the bar at the top of the ruck is just a crock of shite

i have had all my men in the ruck and the 'ruck bar' showed the other team winning the ruck with only 3 men, if that

the ruck bar is a decoy approach from HB and Andrew Wilson, to falsy give the users the impression rucks are manual.

we call it the 'f*** bar'

coz it means f*** all

lying sacks of **** at HB/EA.

Have you tried the R3 (for PS2) hands in the ruck button.

That'll get you possession. 60% (or so) of the time you'll get pinged, but it's very handy.

A good place to use it is when you make that flying break, and you are tackled by their fullback, then their whole team rushes in and you find yourself picking what defensive formation to use. Just push R3 and try and turn it over.

40% of the time you'll get it, and if not, they get to kick the ball out, which they were going to do anyway. Except they have the throw. But you add it up and decide if its worth it or not.

Jamie Gough

Originally posted by ak47@Mar 21 2005, 11:56 AM
garyowens = turnover
I agree 100% with you on everything, except this bit. Garryowens seemed quite easy to me, I just did the up-n-under and looked at which of the opposition men were standing still (in the centre of the screen, you then run right up in front of him, and timing the jump was the easiest part. I won about 90% of my upn-unders.

I agree with the adding players to rucks doing nothing, I never add to the ruck and win turnovers regularly. The 'cheat' button (R3) does win the ball every now and then, but its not worth using against the AI, as they seem to take more advantage of a penalty than my mates.

I play mostly multiplayer games, too, so that may have something to do with my opinions on the game.

Adding players does nothing I'll admit, but I think the majority of the turnovers I have experienced in the game have been quite realistic. They mainly seem to come after huge hits on one of my players, or when I lose support. It's all about fending of players to give an extra second for your forwards to get to the tackle, that's all.

Latest posts