• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ollie Smith

S

Stillknox

Just asking, is the Top 14 especially poor (this is probable, most of the games are shitty) or this man is really good ? I know he played for the Tigers and a few times for England, but untill then he never really impressed me. Now with Montpellier this is another story, in 4 games he already scored a few tries, made several breaks... and he was particulary great against Toulouse in the opening game of the season. (Montpellier won it 16-11)
With him and the likes of Trinh-Duc, Todeschini, Picamoles, Ouedraogo, Brana (you may see him soon with France) I think that Montpellier is the most entertaining team to watch at the moment in France, ahead of Clermont or Toulouse.

I don't know if he's good enough for the international level but I rather see him than Jamie Noon !

By the way, Magnus Lund made a really good start with Biarritz too.

He was really promising, had a few really good seasons and some fantastic performances including getting the better of O'Driscoll at Landsdowne road. For some reason Noon got the nod ahead of him and stayed ahead despite Smith's obvious ptential. He lost some form, got played around in both centres positions and at wing without really getting any devastating form back together to challenge for an England shirt again. Still an excellent player, but for some reason (Andy Robinson?) the international chances never really happened for him. He was still a first team regular at Tigers, but i think he wanted to use rugby to travel a bit.

I thought Ollie Smith somewhat faded from the England scene along the same time frame as Stuart Abbott's involvement in the program died off. I know SCW had a thing for both of them, so maybe that was what did it to him. Now that MJ is in charge, he might come back into the picture, although I would think that England might want to look at some younger options, but from what I recall of him he is a decent runner of the ball, as well as a serviceable defender. He's not a pace merchant or a tremendous cutter or passer or kicker, but he is a decent player.

I doubt he would start a match at international level as a 1st choice option, but he could be a nice versatile squad member, as he can cover 12, 13 and the wing.

i really liked ollie smith whilst at leicester, and was really over looked by England during his peak season a few years agao (he toured with the lions but still ignored by england, despite their outside centre problems).
from what ive heard he has started to regain some of that form back after his move to france, and he is still young enough to make a good impression for england...whether he will get picked depends on whether MJ sends his scouts to france

The only thing of note I could say after seeing Ollie Smith on Saturday is... I didn't even notice him.

Pity really, at one point I though he and Abbott would make a brilliant England partnership. Just a shame AR loved Noon and Tindall so much.

Latest posts