• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ones to watch this season?

Aedaphon

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Any thoughts on up and coming players this season? Apart from the highly publicised names such as Lambie, Cipriani, Williams and Gear, my eye is on Julian Savea (IRB junior player of the year) who the Hurricanes managed to snatch up... Their back line is looking pretty lethal on paper.

Im going with colin slade, has a real chance to make a name for him self (more of one) like so many others have done when coming south, i just hope he can drag the rest of the team with him!

I'm looking forward to see Tana show his skills for the Chiefs.

Rodney Davies should hit his stride this season.
Lei Tomiki should prove his worth in super rugby.

From the Cheetahs I think the Ehberson (sp.) brothers should step up.
From the Lions Elton Jantjies and Jaco Taute
From the Bulls possibly Bjorn Basson (assuming he doesn't get whacked with a hefty suspension)
From the Sharks, this could be Charl McLeods season, and watch out for Daniel Ojiambo if injuries come into play to the other loose-forwards
From the Stormers, the young talent is their but I doubt they will get the game time to considered 'one to watch'

If Kees Meeuws had been picked up by the Highlanders I would have watched every game of hem.

heinrich Brussouw, jean Deysel...two great talents at looseforward coming back from long injury layoff.

heinrich Brussouw, jean Deysel...two great talents at looseforward coming back from long injury layoff.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jean Deysel played most of this year didn't he? He was in the Sharks vs Stormers game for the full 80.

From the Cheetahs I think the Ehberson (sp.) brothers should step up.
From the Lions Elton Jantjies and Jaco Taute
From the Bulls possibly Bjorn Basson (assuming he doesn't get whacked with a hefty suspension)
From the Sharks, this could be Charl McLeods season, and watch out for Daniel Ojiambo if injuries come into play to the other loose-forwards
From the Stormers, the young talent is their but I doubt they will get the game time to considered 'one to watch'

If Bjorn plays I would put money on him being top try scorer at the end of the tourney.

I think most people who haven't followed CC action will be surprised by the Lions backline this year. Jantjes and Taute are the two youngsters. Johan Snyman and Franco van der Merwe (who has been in the fold for a while) at lock is also worth keeping an eye on; great lock partnership.

I can't see Ojiambo get gametime with the likes of Kanko, Alberts, Deysel, Botes and Daniel around; you guys are just hogging the backrow talent. McLeod definately one to watch and apart from Lambie, there is Mvovo and Ludik both of whom could easily play for the Bokke and probably will. Sharks basically have a load of new talent in the backline. Do you think Hoffman might get some gametime?

Freestate props WP Nell and Coenie Oosthuizen and if you don't know him Ashley Johnson at no.8 are quite exciting. I'm not convinced by the Ebersohn brothers but I hope they prove me wrong as the Freestate needs some solidity at the back. Riaan Viljoen might run out for them and he can be a gamebreaker for them.

The Stormers will be the team with the least new faces. In fact, the first choice 15 won't see anyone new. CJ van der Linde is the only new signing that will probably play and JdV has returned but they are both well known.

Three letters ... SBW :lol:

Also Gareth Delve for Rebels!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jean Deysel played most of this year didn't he? He was in the Sharks vs Stormers game for the full 80.

He missed 4 weeks or so weeks in super 14 and missed most of the currie cup.

If Bjorn plays I would put money on him being top try scorer at the end of the tourney.

I think most people who haven't followed CC action will be surprised by the Lions backline this year. Jantjes and Taute are the two youngsters. Johan Snyman and Franco van der Merwe (who has been in the fold for a while) at lock is also worth keeping an eye on; great lock partnership.

I can't see Ojiambo get gametime with the likes of Kanko, Alberts, Deysel, Botes and Daniel around; you guys are just hogging the backrow talent. McLeod definately one to watch and apart from Lambie, there is Mvovo and Ludik both of whom could easily play for the Bokke and probably will. Sharks basically have a load of new talent in the backline. Do you think Hoffman might get some gametime?

Freestate props WP Nell and Coenie Oosthuizen and if you don't know him Ashley Johnson at no.8 are quite exciting. I'm not convinced by the Ebersohn brothers but I hope they prove me wrong as the Freestate needs some solidity at the back. Riaan Viljoen might run out for them and he can be a gamebreaker for them.

The Stormers will be the team with the least new faces. In fact, the first choice 15 won't see anyone new. CJ van der Linde is the only new signing that will probably play and JdV has returned but they are both well known.

Agree, except for Bjorn being top try scorer...he will score some tries, but he needs to be able to take some contact before going over the line (Currie cup he hardly got touched when he got the ball), don't think he is strong enough YET to put in a good handoff and finish...like jaque fourie and lionel mapoe do well. Jaco pretorius (hardly runs straight) will chow up all the space Bjorn needs.

Latest posts