• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

OP2M

R

richllew

Will rugby 2005 be featuring in the next official playstation 2 magazine-uk? (or any magazine for that matter)

I expect so. They usually come out on the 1st Tursday of the month I think - so thats next Thursday.

England havn't won a game all year, so expect a half page full of 'hillarious' puns such as "Each team has a hooker!" or "Funny shaped balls".

Than expect them to give the game a low score because they don't understand the rules and make at least 1 reference to PES and how they prefer roundyball.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Feb 27 2005, 05:57 AM
England havn't won a game all year, so expect a half page full of 'hillarious' puns such as "Each team has a hooker!" or "Funny shaped balls".

Than expect them to give the game a low score because they don't understand the rules and make at least 1 reference to PES and how they prefer roundyball.
You make it sound like the Americans would be reviewing it...

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 27 2005, 09:38 AM
Ouch.

But funny.
No offence mate
<
, but with the overwhelming majority of US reviewers starting their articles on any game rugby related with stuff like "it looks like football, but there are no pads and you can't pass the ball forward!" I think there is justification...
<

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 27 2005, 09:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Feb 27 2005, 09:24 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Feb 27 2005, 05:57 AM

You make it sound like the Americans would be reviewing it... [/b]
thats what hurts ... they're not even American's ... they're English (World Champion's anyone?) and yet they still treat the sport (and consequently any games) as tho it is 2nd rate and not worth getting into

and the constant mumblings about PES do get really f***kin annoying (and I do love that game!)... there's no need to mention it in every other sports game article!
<

Originally posted by raziel_eire+Feb 27 2005, 10:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (raziel_eire @ Feb 27 2005, 10:00 AM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Feb 27 2005, 09:24 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Feb 27 2005, 05:57 AM

You make it sound like the Americans would be reviewing it...
thats what hurts ... they're not even American's ... they're English (World Champion's anyone?) and yet they still treat the sport (and consequently any games) as tho it is 2nd rate and not worth getting into

and the constant mumblings about PES do get really f***kin annoying (and I do love that game!)... there's no need to mention it in every other sports game article!
<
[/b]
Why don't they just get a reviewer who likes rugby to write it? I mean thats just f***en stupid! Over here soccer is a second rate sport that no one cares about, but when a soccer game comes out the reviewers don't harp on about how boring we all think the sport of soccer is!

Sadly, that sums this country up in the media in this country.

If it's not Roundyball, the media don't care unless someone English (not scottish, welsh or Irish) wins an International, than the whole country rejoices like a bunch of f***ing glory supporters.

Club level in anything other than fairyball may as well not exist as far as public exposure is concerned. (Just look at the way BBC handled the coverage of their last club Rugby match - They didn't even know who any of the non-international, sorry - non England, players were yet they would be perfectly happy to know every player from a sunday league pansyball team).

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Feb 27 2005, 01:37 PM
Sadly, that sums this country up in the media in this country.

If it's not Roundyball, the media don't care unless someone English (not scottish, welsh or Irish) wins an International, than the whole country rejoices like a bunch of f***ing glory supporters.

Club level in anything other than fairyball may as well not exist as far as public exposure is concerned. (Just look at the way BBC handled the coverage of their last club Rugby match - They didn't even know who any of the non-international, sorry - non England, players were yet they would be perfectly happy to know every player from a sunday league pansyball team).
Thats pretty shocking... Considering your country spawned the bloody sport, you think they might show a touch more interest.

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 27 2005, 09:46 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Feb 27 2005, 09:46 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Feb 27 2005, 09:38 AM
Ouch.

But funny.
No offence mate
<
, but with the overwhelming majority of US reviewers starting their articles on any game rugby related with stuff like "it looks like football, but there are no pads and you can't pass the ball forward!" I think there is justification...
<
[/b]
Offence? None is ever taken, mate.
<

I emailed the guy who wrote the gamespot hands-on for Rugby 2005 (thankfully, his article wasn't as bad as the 'Martha Stewart' one, or others write-ups for any rugby game, but his was still "When Americans think of Rugby, we think of ...)

Well, I told him that as an American, I was tired of reading other Americans making asinine comments about the sport (i.e. 'Rugby is wacky!' stuff) and basically his reply was: "For all intents and purposes, our audience is American and Rugby is still a fringe sport that most people don't know about. Therefore, not only do we have to preview/review the game, but we've continually got to re-introduce the sport whilst doing it."

Now, I can understand that completely, but it just sucks. Bad jokes are not the way to go but we're using humor screw that just talk about the sport but I don't know the sport then why are you reviewing it cause if someone like me can understand the game then our readers will too where's my gun . . . sorry, had to have an internal dialogue with one of the voices in my head to better understand this guys point.

My conclusion: Until the States win the Rugby World Cup, we're gonna see bad joke previews and ain't rugby weird reviews for every game. Drink up.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Feb 27 2005, 06:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Feb 27 2005, 06:56 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Feb 27 2005, 09:46 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Feb 27 2005, 09:38 AM
Ouch.

But funny.

No offence mate
<
<
Offence? None is ever taken, mate.
<

I emailed the guy who wrote the gamespot hands-on for Rugby 2005 (thankfully, his article wasn't as bad as the 'Martha Stewart' one, or others write-ups for any rugby game, but his was still "When Americans think of Rugby, we think of ...)

Well, I told him that as an American, I was tired of reading other Americans making asinine comments about the sport (i.e. 'Rugby is wacky!' stuff) and basically his reply was: "For all intents and purposes, our audience is American and Rugby is still a fringe sport that most people don't know about. Therefore, not only do we have to preview/review the game, but we've continually got to re-introduce the sport whilst doing it."

Now, I can understand that completely, but it just sucks. Bad jokes are not the way to go but we're using humor screw that just talk about the sport but I don't know the sport then why are you reviewing it cause if someone like me can understand the game then our readers will too where's my gun . . . sorry, had to have an internal dialogue with one of the voices in my head to better understand this guys point.

My conclusion: Until the States win the Rugby World Cup, we're gonna see bad joke previews and ain't rugby weird reviews for every game. Drink up. [/b]
<
<
<
Quality post!
But then, if they're still harping on in a similar vein in England, where the sport originated and after they won the world cup, then it may never get better
<

Just like to add that the US are the defending Olympic gold-medalists in rugby. (Paris 1924)
<

Originally posted by sanzar@Feb 27 2005, 10:08 AM
Why don't they just get a reviewer who likes rugby to write it? I mean thats just f***en stupid! Over here soccer is a second rate sport that no one cares about, but when a soccer game comes out the reviewers don't harp on about how boring we all think the sport of soccer is!
Poor you man.

Actually, the OXM Australia has a few soccer fans who can review it. Also Some other Australian multi-platform magazines has soccer fans to review them.