• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PDV faces misconduct hearing

allblacksfreak

Academy Player
Country Flag
Indonesia
SANZAR have called a misconduct hearing to look into comments made by South Africa coach Peter de Villiers that alleged referees were showing bias towards New Zealand.

De Villiers is accused of saying that there was a conspiracy to make sure New Zealand were successful, in an effort to help them attract greater crowds when they host next year's World Cup, on Australia's Fox Sports 'Rugby Club' programme on July 21.

"I've got my own observations about the last two tests (against New Zealand), and I can't say it in public," the Springbok coach had said.

"But we do have a World Cup in New Zealand next year, and maybe it was the right thing for them to win the games so they can attract more people to the games next year."

The news further increases the pressure on De Villiers, who has seen his side well-beaten in their opening three Tri Nations fixtures with their tactics appearing outdated compared to the high tempo attacking style favoured by Australia and New Zealand.

"Having considered the response from South Africa we have determined that Peter de Villiers' comments may constitute a breach of the SANZAR Code of Conduct and warrant further consideration by a SANZAR Judicial Officer," said SANZAR chief executive Steve Tew.

The South African Rugby Union says it will make no comment on the matter until after the judicial process ends. The hearing is due to take place within the next week.

Courtesy of http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6285745,00.html/I]

Yay, someone's gonna take away his vuvuzela!

Last edited:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8900655.stm

South Africa coach Peter de Villiers has been cleared of misconduct charges over comments allegedly criticising referees and the New Zealand team.
De Villiers suggested that the All Blacks were being given favourable treatment because they are the hosts of next year's World Cup.
The Springboks lost twice to New Zealand in their first two Tri-Nations matches of the season.
But it was decided de Villiers had not breached the code of conduct.
"I've got my own observations about the last two tests, and I can't say it in public," he told Australian television at the time.
"But we do have a World Cup in New Zealand next year, and maybe it was the right thing for them to win the games so they can attract more people to the games next year."
The charge of misconduct was dismissed by Jannie Lubbe, governing body Sanzar's judicial official, after a hearing on Friday.
"Mr Lubbe stated that during his interview Mr de Villiers never mentioned or referred to referees or match fixing," read a statement.
De Villiers said he was satisfied with the outcome of the hearing.
"As the verdict makes clear, at no time did I mention referees or a conspiracy and the finding has put this whole incident into context," he stated.
"The matter is behind us and we can get on with preparing for our next Test match. I will not be commenting on it further."
South Africa, who also lost their third Tri-Nations match against Australia and cannot retain their ***le, next face New Zealand in Johannesburg on 21 August.

What does he have to do to get punished for now.

The whole thing was a joke anyway

Jeez, the All Black games were always going to sell out anyway

As for punishment, what was he going to get anyway - a reprimand of some sort ... forced to apologise?

We were hoping fired, but then again, we are an optimistic bunch

TBH, de Villiers is a side-show and all his comments were, was a defelction from an under-performing outfit.

I think the attitude in South Afirca might be a bit off

At the press conference after the Tri-Nations opener, a SA journo asked de Villiers if he thought there were too many cameras on the players - he was trying to smoke screen the Bakkies headbutt.

I will say, that it doesnt help that Woodcock didnt get binned agaisnt Aussie... that was bad.

But in saying that, before the game the press here was on about too many cards, especially after DM's double.

....who would want to be a referee???

Latest posts