• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Penalties

J

jimmy44

Just got the game this morning and I have to say I'm very impressed so far!

The only thing that annoys me is the penalty count. I have played loads of matches and not once have I been awarded a penalty - does the Ai ever do anything wrong? Will I ever get awarded a penalty!! any thought are v welcome!

Cheers

I have been awarded a penalty a few times, where the opposition where caught offside where i have used my scrum0half to cut inside the ruck, and they wer to eager to tackle me.

Originally posted by saintsfan24_7@Mar 21 2005, 08:37 AM
I have been awarded a penalty a few times, where the opposition where caught offside where i have used my scrum0half to cut inside the ruck, and they wer to eager to tackle me.
Thanks mate, sounds like a useful tactic! Do you know penalties ever get awarded against the AI for high tackles or hands in ruck, or is it just for offsides???

There are no penalties for late tackles, you can be penalised for hands in the ruck, but the AI cant, Ive been playing for 5 days now (mostly on hard) and have never caught the AI offside once!! I will try that scrumhalf trick. The only regular penalties against the Ai are fo collapsing a maul or scrum, this depends on where you are in the field, if you are in their 22 they are more likely to do it. On average I would say this occurs once every 2 games, but is stupid as you get no advantage coz its not open play. This is an annoying fault that I hope thy will fix next year. Fortunately it dosent detract from the heart of the game and youll soon forget all about it. The advantage played for knock ons is quite long and gives you a chance to attack.

I also use that tactic as a good attack manouvre, send the crum-half out with the ball, and instead of running into the oppostion run along the side and try and pass it before getting tackled and leaves the defence puzzled as your line pumps forward, most of the time it means you break through.

Yeah, the AI doesn't commit too many acts of foul play.

Once in a blue moon they might be off side, but they don't use their hands in the ruck.

I think for Rugby 2006, EA should make a slider (at least) so you can make the penalty acount for the CPU a bit more realistic. And they could get pinged for all things in Rugby that you can do, i.e. hands in the ruck, killing the ball, incorrect scrum feed, and LATE, early, and illegal tackles etc.

They should make it so that the right analog stick (the one you use to put hands in the ruck etc) is a "HIT STICK" as well when on defence, so if you want to really smash a player with the ball you can flick the hit stick (R3) insted of just pushing the normal tackle button. It should give you an increased chance of knocking the ball out of his hands and inurying the player, but it should be really bad if you miss, because a big gap is opened up, and you should also run the risk of the tackle being illeagle, like a head high or spear tackle.

I think they should change the AI a bit. I think it really ruins the flow of the game with the AI kicking it out every time they have the ball in their 22 unless its the final stages of the game. I think a lot of their kicks should be kept in play (just like real life), not for touch all the time, so the flow of the game isn't ruined. And they should have goes at running it from in there too.

Quick lineouts should have been in there too.

Plus, you should be able to have more options in the lineout (not just 3), but still keep it rather simple.

And, being able to place the kick where how far back you like.

And, being able to make more than 1 sub at a time.

AND, being able to change your lineup mid game to cope with a sub. That really ****** me off. If Howlett gets injured, I'd like to put another centre on and move Tana out to the wing, but no, have to wait to R2006 till hopefully that is fixed.

So thats about all my gameplay gribes tho.

Still addicted to it tho
<

Jamie Gough

Yeah, even tho it isnt brilliant, its still a cracking game.

I have had the ball held up before, which is a new feature to a rugby game. maybe when there is a fight cutscene you should be able to choose whether to retalliate or just to stand there and take it, whilst having to watch out whether or not the ref is looking (thats if you can see him hehe)

I would have loved to see a video ref in the game too. If you just sweaked in they should go "up-stairs", a cut scene like that would add heaps to the game!

Also, as far as fights go, I'd love to see cards follow such an event. So if you are picking a player with high agressiona and low disiplin, your running the risk of playing with reduced numbers later on in the game, because chances are, he will get sent off.

I think that would be great... When selecting your team, your weighing up having a nutcase on the field that won't take a backwards step, versus having that guy sent off, and could actually be a liability.

Because at the moment, it's almost an incentive to put those loose cannons on the field so you can have a bit of a laugh at a fight cut scene, but these no repercussions.

That needs to be fixed.

Bring on the cards for fights! Add a bit more realism and stratagy to the game.

Jamie Gough

Hey saintsfan, are you playing on hard? I tried the scrumhalf thing and it dosent work, on hard mode you just get tackled every time, even if you sprint sideways!
Works a treat on medium but is useless to me now, oh well.

I am playing on Easy/medium at the moment, have tried the scrum-half thing on hard, just try setting a set-play and they wont expect it, it worked for me, and it lead to a try from half-way.

Any more stories of penalties awarded agianst the AI?

Any tips on how to force a penalty?

the AI kicking the ball 100% of the time inside their 22 can be frustrating but at least you can late tackle them all the time without being penalised. I was playing my World League the other day and smashed Ceri Sweeney with Zwicker after he had made a clearance. The poor dude got concussed or something and had to be subbed off.

i have seen alot of penaltys awarded against the AI these have mainly been through when im in their 22 and they either have pulled my maul down or collapssing one of my scrums and i have also had penalty trys awarded for this aswell.

About scrum collapses and advantage. EA Sports have got it right. Referees are not meant to play advantage if this occurs. Anyway I just kick for touch. This tactic doesn't always work because u have to angle the kick powere it up and still it maynot go out. Not hapoy about this.

Originally posted by cavan@Mar 22 2005, 05:25 AM
I was playing my World League the other day and smashed Ceri Sweeney with Zwicker after he had made a clearance. The poor dude got concussed or something and had to be subbed off.
i did that to wilkinson the other day using australia

Of course refs dont play advantage when a scrum or maul is collapsed, how can they play is dead!! What i meant was it would be nice if other penalties occured so that advantage could be realisticslly utilised(like offsides or high tackles).

Originally posted by cavan@Mar 22 2005, 05:25 AM
the AI kicking the ball 100% of the time inside their 22 can be frustrating but at least you can late tackle them all the time without being penalised. I was playing my World League the other day and smashed Ceri Sweeney with Zwicker after he had made a clearance. The poor dude got concussed or something and had to be subbed off.
That's not true.

Try playing against France.

Originally posted by jimmy44@Mar 22 2005, 05:16 AM
Any more stories of penalties awarded agianst the AI?

Any tips on how to force a penalty?
i've got a penalty try!

just by driving a lineout maul from the 5m line and tha CPU collapsed it, penalty try and a kick fight under the sticks......they collapsed another scrum on their 22m line and got their flanker yellow carded...
<
<
<
no jokes!

try it, trust me it works!
btw it was on hard.

Latest posts