• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Perfect scrum cap fit?

SixteenSixtySix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Malaysia
Club or Nation
New Zealand
I'd like to buy a scrum cap but I don't know if it should be tight or snug fit. Also, when I wear one, should the velcro strap be tight?

It should be pretty tight. You shouldn't really be able to move it around when it's on. Just get on that fits you reasonably well and you can tighten it from the back as you need to. As for the Velcro strap, it doesn't need to be choking you. Whatever is comfortable for you, as long as it won't be torn off in a game.

What he said.

Although unless you need a scrum cup because of past head injuries I'd always say use tape instead. Had the double bonus of allowing you to hear (which I find a scrum cap doesn't) and looking well hard.

Unless you're worried about fracturing your skull, or stopping cauliflower ears or lacerations then wearing a scrum cap isn't going to do ****.

They don't absorb any impact.

Unless you're worried about fracturing your skull, or stopping cauliflower ears or lacerations then wearing a scrum cap isn't going to do ****.

They don't absorb any impact.

That's the reason. Although I play as center, I believe that I can get a cauliflower at the ruck

What he said.

Although unless you need a scrum cup because of past head injuries I'd always say use tape instead. Had the double bonus of allowing you to hear (which I find a scrum cap doesn't) and looking well hard.

Well not in my case. I can still hear pretty good when I was wearing one.

You really don't need to worry about cauliflower ears if you are a back.

Honestly, I cant think of any professional backs with them... not even all forwards get them.
And these are guys that play every week and train 3-4 times a week for 10 years+.

There is absolutely no need for backs to wear them, the main reason most pro's wear them is because they are used to wearing one from when their Mum made them when they were kids.
They don't do ****.

I'm a hooker and I got cauliflower once. No real need if you're a back though. Most cauliflower come from friction within the scrum. The ear was awful. Had to have it drained at the clinic. Most backs wear scrum caps under the belief it will protect them from a kick in the head. I've been confused twice while wearing a scrum cap so it doesn't do so much use.

JUST BUY THIS HEADGEAR

231021226874_1.jpg

ITS KINDA EXPENSIVE THOUGH (RRP: $95 AUD)

It will be a perfect fit as you can adjust to your known head

BTW: Be a Man and just dont use headgear, just use tape

Yeah they really don't do jack. Have only worn one once and got rid of it within 5mins of the game being started, found it really annoying and went with tape since.

Tbh, I'm just worried that I might get a nasty cut or get my skin scraped during a ruck. And plus the opposition might play dirty and step on my head (district level)

According to this article https://firepowersport.com/rugby-scrum-cap-size-chart/

Determine which size is right for you with the scrum cap size chart from Firepower Sport. A rugby scrum cap should feel tight initially and not move on the head. To get the perfect rugby scrum cap fit use a tape measure to measure around your head. Alternately, you may use a piece of string and then measure the length of the string. Measure across the forehead (approximately 1cm above eye brows), slightly above the ears and around the back of the head keeping the tape parallel to the floor. This measurement is a two-person event and is nearly impossible to accurately do by yourself.

Latest posts