• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PES6 Xbox 360

T

toup

Having read locksley's first impressions, I was naturally very concerned - this is a man who knows his games, and he was far from impressed. My initial thought was to rent the game, but then my eagerness (and payday) got the better of me, and I snapped up a copy last night on the way home. Here are my initial thoughts.

Firstly, the game is a LOT slower than previous incarnations. I can see that some (locksley included) may find this offputting, but I would urge you to give it time. I have found that this actually leads to a more 'solid' feeling game, with momentum and player size really making a difference (watch your defenders dominate small forwards in aerial battles). I have read elsewhere that people have had problems breaking away from the defence, even with fast players. This is actually not all that common in real football, but it can be done - the same is true on PES6 with careful use of the 'knock the ball ahead' controls.

The ball physics are, as expected, spot on - and the through balls, particularly lofted ones, can lead to some spectacular goals. Shooting is initially very tricky, but it seems to really take into account the amount of pressure on your player, if he's just turned, etc. Heading seems to also take some getting used to, but I've found that defensively I have not been giving away soft headed goals like I used to on PES5... but then I've not been scoring too many either...

The AI is very good defensively, closing your player down and giving you very little time to think about what to do (making it all the more satisfying when you beat a man and suddenly you are in space, looking to play somebody in or go for goal yourself). I have noticed that occasionally your supposrting forwards don't make the runs you'd have liked, but I'm sure that this can be remedied by a few tactical changes.

Graphically this game is good, if not groundbreaking, with some player likenesses now almost perfect, others taking a bit of a step backwards. The lack of licensed kits will, as always, hurt this game, but many new international and club teams are now licensed (the premiership remains elusive). Probably the biggest missing point from this game is the editing. You can ONLY change player names - a massive step down from the extensive options on PS2.

To summarize then, I feel the gameplay is spot on, offering a very realistic game of football - with slow buildup play and patient attacks being essential. The slower pace takes some getting used to, but I'd urge you to persevere (PES5 felt 'weird' at first remember!). The lack of editing does take something away from it, but if it's gameplay you want, then this game has it by the bucketload.

Any questions, fire away... I'll be starting my master league after work today...

Has anyone had any luck on xbox live with this???

tried to connect the other day and it wouldnt work... gonna have to arrange an xbox 360 live tournament, for all us guys who have a 360 now...

I've not got broadband sorted in my new flat yet... but have heard that the online offering is subject to a lot of variation, with some running very smoothly, others having a lot of difficulty. Obviously it's a big issue, but for me, the true offering for Pro Evo is getting mates around and in the room with you!

Oh yeah but the online play would be fantastic, if they could get that right... I am rather pleased with pro evo, most levels are fairly competive in comparison to fifa where i sometimes find that it is way to easy to score

Corners seem to be a pain in the neck at the moment as it is tough to score from a header, but they have defiently improved the heading on the game... would recommend this game, still the best game on the market for football, bar of course the original sensible soccer :p

I really like the way that players' physical attributes make a difference. As an example, I signed Jan Koller in Master League, and watched as my previously fruitless crossing game began to yield goals, with the Czech man-mountain bullying many a centre-back...

i'm getting it anyway

played fifa 07 x360 and its crap...PRETTY CRAP
[/b]

If you dont like fifa i'm sure you'll love PES

When i got PES on monday i thought it was the worst bloody game i've ever played but now it's really growing on me.(just like pes5)

Both games have their good and bad points but i'd have to give pes the edge in gameplay(which is what counts).

Yeah PES6 on the 360 is really frustrating at first. Free kicks seem slower. The bumper buttons feel weird- my fingers get tangled in these weird combinations when I'm trying to use the controlled shot button.

Its definitely a lot more free flowing, and a lot more depth but damn them for putting such little effort into the online component and overall presentation.

Has everyone else had a problem trying to access the xbox live gameplay???

Has everyone else had a problem trying to access the xbox live gameplay???
[/b]

No problem apart from unbearable lag. Konami recently made a statement acknowledging the issue, saying they're working on a fix.

Ahh thank god on that, I havent been able to get a game on Live yet, but will try again tonight, I suppose I am playing at a peak time tho

Speaking of fixing things...

I've heard a rumour that if enough ppl complain to Konami about the lack of editing options, then they'll make a patch available on 360 marketplace.

Not sure how true this is, but it couldn't hurt to try...

I'll post their email address once i find it.

I must say PES6 is good, but not great

It keeps growing on me..........its alot better than FIFA07 360

But........Tiger Woods 2007 X360 is the best sports ***le i have played on next gen

Its got it all...........revamped PGA Tour........sliders to fine tune the game to suit ur simulation preferences, like post shot spin, putting ideal cam etc

The graphics are tip top notch, and the gameplay is similar to ole Tigers, but a little more simulated on default...(see above u can fine tune gameplay aspects to make it feel like 2004, 2005 or even like LINKS (the PES of golf games)

Presentation is all PGA like, so ur given a feel of being on the Tour!!!

no more fantasy courses, no more gamebreaker crap.

ITS 100% PURE GOLF, AND AWESOME AT THAT

After lengthy lengthy lengthy play

i have done about 6 seasons in master league.

this PES ***le is the best football game i have ever played

no goals look or play the same

each match varies on its own merits

the lack of options goes over your head..........u dont care coz at the end of the day most of the players were legit, and u can tell which team is which after a few seasons - unlike WCR Rugby

i cant be bothered going into detail, but the speed n flow of the game is nigh on perfect...probably the main gripe is the lack of runaways from attackers - they do get run down, but then read the book and there are ultimate dribbles for speed, and once u master them, u can get away from defense........but then u gotto lay off that dribble to gain some control/composure for taking the shot........its an extra element of button tweaking that can derive from the fun (dash n burn tactics of ole PES and current FIFA's), but i suppose this is where they have weight up realism v arcade...........yes i know roony can out run 99% of defenders, but not without a dribble a good 4-5m touches at a time..........

the keepers in PES 360 arent great............they have without doubt made it harder to get clean shots off........and a consequence of this, they made the keepers a little easy, so if u do get some good clean opportunities, they normally turn into goals...........its just getting those good opportunities which varies as each game is played depending on ur teams morale/form, current roster ability, and overall AI defense ability and form.

overall - 8/10 - it is the best gameplay to date, but as a game as whole u cant give it more than 8...the sound/commentary the same, the options not great and the master league all the same.
gameplay is 9/10 at least

but they remembered one crucial crucial element..........the camera panning option.......get this back onto 6,7, or 8.............and the ole PES feeling springs back to life!!!!!!!!!. :cheers: :bana:

Latest posts