• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pierre Spies

<div class='quotemain'>
Please Munro and Mclaren...hush now boys.

Spies peformed brilliantly against some Englishmen masquerading as rugby players. Good for him.

Make no mistake,he's a super player with shitloads of talent, but he's not even close to the worlds best.

Also, from what I hear from my buddy at the Stormers, Schalk's cock is much bigger than Pierre's.
[/b]

Schalk Burger are not a number 8

Spies runs the repeat run 800 wile the best by others in sa are 760

That makes him a class of its own [/b][/quote]

Shalk Burger may not be a number 8 and he may not be as fast as Spies but it's because he's carrying a bit of extra weight around. it's already been discussed in a previous post. Spies has a speed advantage as he has lighter nether regions

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

Spies peformed brilliantly against some Englishmen masquerading as rugby players. Good for him.

Make no mistake,he's a super player with shitloads of talent, but he's not even close to the worlds best.

Also, from what I hear from my buddy at the Stormers, Schalk's cock is much bigger than Pierre's.
[/b]

Shalk Burger may not be a number 8 and he may not be as fast as Spies but it's because he's carrying a bit of extra weight around. it's already been discussed in a previous post. Spies has a speed advantage as he has lighter nether regions
[/b][/quote]

:D

Also if he's 104kg he's not actually big. Maybe vertically, but most backs are at least 90kg, most being somewhere between 95 and 105, with a lower centre of gravity than Spies. The advantage he does have is when he can use his height for reach and better leverage when fending off players and leaning into tackles.

Even if he was the world's best, would you really want to trade places with him when you'd have to put up with the locker room and showers?

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

You see Mclaren, you've already admitted defeat by referring to Schalk in the plural. Although he may seem to be in many different places at once, he really is only one man.

Listen, stop embarrasing us fellow South Africans and be a little more tactful with your comments. As I said, he's a great player, but he's still got far too much to prove. He's been almost invisible during the TriNations matches in which he's been involved in. Just because you enjoy watching him run amok amongst some third rate pommies, doesn't mean you can go declaring that he is one hulking hunk of man beef.

It's just not right.

I mean, everyone knows that Ruan Pienaar is the cutest Bok anyway...unibrow and all.

I am going to cry like a big baby.
Pierre is out, the rising star.
But believe me the power speedster are going to be back. :cryy:

Pierre Spies is one of the best and soon will be the best no. 8 in the world but for right now i would say new zealands no. 8 is the best but not for long

such a great player hadn't seen muchof him untill england games, one for the future deffinately

Spies is a good player - maybe in a few years he will be one of the best in the world, but so far he has not proved anything apart from the fact he has talent. He has played some very good games interspersed with some very poor games, and to me still looks like he's a winger playing at number 8 - when their is a tight, forward orientated game he looks lost. Number 8 is a position that seems to take years to master - for example Rodney So'ioalo was a very promising number 8 about 5 years ago, and it is only in the last 2 or so years he has really matured into a world class player at the position.... perhaps in time Spies will mature, become more consistent, and become a great player, which he certainly has the potential to do.

At the moment I'd rate a number of Number 8s ahead of him e.g So'ioalo, Parisse, Leamy, Lauaki, Ryan Jones,Simon Taylor while I'd rate him at the same level as Palu, Tuiali'i, Easter, Popham etc...

I haven't heard of the guy, i'm sure you think he is wonderful but an 8 that can play any position?? I don't think so.
[/b]

Its ok, he can't. Lets put him in at 15 and bomb away.
Besides, I can play any position too. I'm just not very good at say 13 of them...

It's not like South Africa are struggling for decent loosies these days. He is a marvellous prospect and playing for the Bulls is only going to help him. I agree with an earlier comment about him running through several English C Team boys doesn't qualify him for any awards.

I would say Parisse (Italy) is certainly a better all around #8 right now.

There is a Pierre Spies listed as playing with the Cobra Rugby team which is playing in an international 10s tournament in Malaysia this weekend. Does anyone know if this is could be the Pierre Spies of the Springboks side?

http://www.cobrarugby.com/team_06.html

There is a Pierre Spies listed as playing with the Cobra Rugby team which is playing in an international 10s tournament in Malaysia this weekend. Does anyone know if this is could be the Pierre Spies of the Springboks side?

http://www.cobrarugby.com/team_06.html
[/b]

No I don't think so he said he will play again next year just to be safe and as far as I know he only plays for the Bulls

Like some others say in this thread i find that Spies does very little in the big games. He has all the attributes to a world class player but he is almost invisible when he plays in the tri nations.

Well, here`s the thing. Spies has played in a grand total of 4 tri-nations matches in his entire career, up to date. In his tri-nations debut, he was completely anonymous. As were his 14 Bok colleagues on the day, going down 49-0 to an inspired Wallabies outfit.

In his next 2 tri-nations tests though, on the 2006 home leg, he was picked out of position as openside flanker. Came up against 2 pretty decent opensiders in Richie McCaw and George Smith, 2 of the very best in the business. And he dominated both of those greats with his speed to the breakdown, helping the Boks to winning both those tests as well as the turnover count in both matches. And ending up being named man of the match in both.

So while I fully agree that it`s waaaay too early to start calling him the world`s best, saying that he disappears in tri-nations matches is a bit offside :redcard:

Well, here`s the thing. Spies has played in a grand total of 4 tri-nations matches in his entire career, up to date. In his tri-nations debut, he was completely anonymous. As were his 14 Bok colleagues on the day, going down 49-0 to an inspired Wallabies outfit.

In his next 2 tri-nations tests though, on the 2006 home leg, he was picked out of position as openside flanker. Came up against 2 pretty decent opensiders in Richie McCaw and George Smith, 2 of the very best in the business. And he dominated both of those greats with his speed to the breakdown, helping the Boks to winning both those tests as well as the turnover count in both matches. And ending up being named man of the match in both.

So while I fully agree that it`s waaaay too early to start calling him the world`s best, saying that he disappears in tri-nations matches is a bit offside :redcard:
[/b]

Thank you :bana:

Latest posts