• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Platini New UEFA President

A

An Tarbh

Michel Platini, the former French and Juventus legend, has been elected as president of UEFA after beating incumbent Lennart Johansson. The Swede who had been in charge of UEFA for the last 16 years was opposed to the proposed changes of limiting the Champions League to a maximum of 3 teams per country.

I'm not too keen on these changes myself, the Champions League is clearly the finest club football tournament bar none and to again tinker in such a poor way makes you wonder about these people in charge in Nyon.

There seems to be a lack of common sense when it comes to changing the Champions League. They messed up big time when they got rid of the Last 16 Group Stages, when what they should have done would be to give each team a 2 leg first round tie and then have a Group stage at the Last 16 but no they end up doing it arse ways and while it still remains the finest club football tournament it's still not quite right.

No doubt though for Platini this is only a stepping stone to bigger and better things as he'll have his eyes on the top job at FIFA when Blatter's term expires.

Michel Platini, the former French and Juventus legend, has been elected as president of UEFA after beating incumbent Lennart Johansson. The Swede who had been in charge of UEFA for the last 16 years was opposed to the proposed changes of limiting the Champions League to a maximum of 3 teams per country.

I'm not too keen on these changes myself, the Champions League is clearly the finest club football tournament bar none and to again tinker in such a poor way makes you wonder about these people in charge in Nyon.

There seems to be a lack of common sense when it comes to changing the Champions League. They messed up big time when they got rid of the Last 16 Group Stages, when what they should have done would be to give each team a 2 leg first round tie and then have a Group stage at the Last 16 but no they end up doing it arse ways and while it still remains the finest club football tournament it's still not quite right.

No doubt though for Platini this is only a stepping stone to bigger and better things as he'll have his eyes on the top job at FIFA when Blatter's term expires.
[/b]

Well as far as the Champions league is concerned I've always found that the previous format was the best, I mean the home-and away matchs with direct elimination. Regarding the number of teams per country I was wondering how much a team get for their participation to such a competition and wether this represented a big share of their incomes. If this yes then I guess this could concentrate the elite players in fewer clubs. How many countries have more than 3 teams? There's only one this season, isn't there? So this limit is not going to change that much the Champions league if this is the only modification to the current organization.

It's only England, Italy and Spain that have 4 but these are leagues that are clearly stronger than Germany, France and Portugal so in a way it's right that they have more places in the competition. It'd be removing 3 quality teams and replacing them with lesser ones, that's not what we want with the Champions League.

Latest posts