• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Play Off Prediction

Redman7

Academy Player
Something that has gone under the radar with the introduction of the South african teams is the strengthening of the existing teams. Glasgow look to have a dynamic attack and be back to a standard when they were competing to win the competition. Edinburgh with new management also looking very dynamic and like they can kick on and be at least as competive as when they got to the playoffs last. Ospreys have turned a corner after a bad couple of years. Similar with cardiff where Dai Young is making cardiff more competitive. Dragons are slowly building year on year. Benetton look back to their best. I am well and truly on their bandwagon! Then there is the SA teams which I believe will come good before the season is out.

All this makes predicting the 8 teams for the play offs very difficult. My 8 would be:
Leinster
Munster
Ulster
Glasgow
Scarlets
Bulls
Edinburgh
Benetton

Only 2 rounds so far to go on so I reserve the right to change as the season goes on.

The fact that connacht, ospreys, cardiff, sharks and stormers are not in my 8 shows how difficult it is to predict.

Apart from the Irish teams I have no idea where the rest of the competition lies. That said I've been impressed with Benetton and Edinburgh and Scarlets, Ospreys and Blues look strong on paper but my bet is the depth is not there and they take points off of each other in-conference. I'll hazard a wild guess:

1 Leinster
2 Munster
3 Sharks
4 Ulster

With these I would put money on their inclusion though not necessarily any specific position in the top 8.

5 Ospreys
6 Edinburgh
7 Bulls
8 Stormers (we love to sneak into play-offs spots by the skin of our teeth and then see it as job done)

No.8 is heart over head LOL but we have been known to pull a rabbit out of the hat to sneak into play off spaces and we do love a bottom of the top half finish so Stormers at 8 specifically I will stand by. Hard to leave out Benetton, Blues, Scarlets and Glasgow BUT my reasoning is Glasgow winning against a fairly mediocre Lions outfit by 1 point whereas their points could've been 7 less but for a TMO review and that at home... that disqualifies Glasgow for me. I find it difficult to split the Welsh sides, the Scottish sides and Benetton alongside the Stormers. I went with Ospreys and Edinburgh for no other reason than my gut telling me they are top of their conferences. Bulls I feel will come good later in the competition as they are notoriously difficult to crack at home. #8 is a straight gut shot for me so I went with the heart as I feel it might as well be Stormers as opposed to either of Benetton, Glasgow, Blues and Scarlets the margins are so close in my mind so why not stick your neck out and fix for Stormers. Might as well be Connaght for all I know.

Latest posts