• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Playing at a higher level - advice and guidance

Nero455

Academy Player
I'm 20 and am currently playing amateur rugby for a 1st team. I've been playing rugby again just under 2 years now after not playing fitness a bit. It's become a bit of an obsession for me really and I really look forward to games on a Saturday. I'd really like to try and play at a level that is above where I'm at now in the future and my question is how you guys recommend I go about doing that at my age and is it even possible?

Thank you

Last edited:
Is there a club near to you that plays, in a higher level? In most cases, if you contact ahead and speak to someone at the club, you should be able to train with the team and see how you get on. Until you actually try and train and play at that level, you're unproven really.

Yeah there's a couple of clubs that aren't too far away. Just another thing, I saw an article recently that said that the squad's average age for one of those clubs was something like 22. Say it takes me a couple of years to get to that level, I'll be 22/23, are they going to want an unproven player who's been coached elsewhere who's that age?

How high are you talking? You could probably apply for trials at a semi pro club for the start of next season. But I doubt a pro side would be interested unless you knew someone.

How high are you talking? You could probably apply for trials at a semi pro club for the start of next season. But I doubt a pro side would be interested unless you knew someone.

Haha I think any professional dreams have gone sadly, I only started playing at 16.

I'd love to play National League 1 one day, difficult but maybe realistic. I've just set a goal to train hard every day (extras etc) and try and step up season on season and see where it gets me.

Latest posts