• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First time playing as 25 y/o

jpmf7

Academy Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Hello guys. So I'm 25 years old, I always liked rugby but for various reasons I couldn't get into it. Now I want to start playing, and I wonder if it's a good time to start at my age. I play football regularly, my form is not the best but I can be an entire hour playing getting tired from time to time. I'm ~178cm tall and around 85-90kg. For what I've seen, I like the scrum-half and fly-half positions, I don't see myself as a forward (I lack strength) nor fullback or wing.
Anyways, the question is: do you think it's worth to start playing at my age? What position would fit me the best, considering I'll be a total noob and not that athletic?

It's always worth starting the game at any age. I've known people pick up rugby a lot later in life than that.

As far as positions go, don't worry about it too much. Get yours to training and just see how things go. New players often play a game or two on the wing just to get used to the game. But I wouldn't stress as I'm sure you'll end up playing more than one position.

Ps. If you prefer being a hero you should try playing in the forwards. The backs are kinda like the kids where as the forwards and real men!

As always - turn up to your local club, watch a few, get to know the coaches and players; turn up to training, and try out a few different positions off the bench, and see which one best suits your skills / instincts, or simply where you enjoyed playing the most.

At shitty local level, there's minimal difference in body type between any of the players - certainly outside the front five, only minimally there.
For a late starter, the only positions I'd advice against until you've played a few years, are front row and halfback - the former is dangerous if untrained, the latter relies too much on game-hardened instinct.

Agreed.

Worth it? 100% yes.

Going straight in as a 9 or 10 with no experience of playing the game would be very tough though IMO. Both are key decision making roles where a good feel for the game is important. As the others have said, go to training and see how it goes before getting too set on a position.

Anyways, the question is: do you think it's worth to start playing at my age? What position would fit me the best, considering I'll be a total noob and not that athletic?
You will find your local 3rd team isn't brimming with athletic talent either.

Go along, do some training, play a few games and enjoy the social side. Bet you love it

Worth it? Yes. 100%

Do not, DO NOT go and ask for a position. Let the coaches make that call for you.
Rules of thumb:
- not 1-2-3
- I guess you are not 4-5
- I would not go for 9-10. They tend to require experience. Maybe I should add 15 to that list (my take). 15s tend to have fewer interventions but more critical ones. You kinda need to know what you are doing.
- So that leaves you with 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14. I guess 11 or 14 would probably be the safest choice. But again, let the coaches decide.

hmmm....
I know I wrote the above but now that i think about it I would tell you to forget about it. Go, pass the ball a bit, sweat, etc. Just try to have fun. The only piece of advice I would give you is to pay attention when it comes to tackling. The technique. The difference can be big. Particularly head placement. If you don't know something, ask the guys there. It's not rocket science but tackling is not always an intuitive movement. Which shoulder to use, when, and where to place your head. That alone will help you. Rest comes with practice.
best of luck

Thank you all! I think next week I'm going to start training with a local team. Will keep you updated :)

Worth it? Yes. 100%

Do not, DO NOT go and ask for a position. Let the coaches make that call for you.
Rules of thumb:
- not 1-2-3
- I guess you are not 4-5
- I would not go for 9-10. They tend to require experience. Maybe I should add 15 to that list (my take). 15s tend to have fewer interventions but more critical ones. You kinda need to know what you are doing.
- So that leaves you with 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14. I guess 11 or 14 would probably be the safest choice. But again, let the coaches decide.

hmmm....
I know I wrote the above but now that i think about it I would tell you to forget about it. Go, pass the ball a bit, sweat, etc. Just try to have fun. The only piece of advice I would give you is to pay attention when it comes to tackling. The technique. The difference can be big. Particularly head placement. If you don't know something, ask the guys there. It's not rocket science but tackling is not always an intuitive movement. Which shoulder to use, when, and where to place your head. That alone will help you. Rest comes with practice.
best of luck

Gracias!! Soy argentino también, de GBA zona sur. Sabés de algún club donde pueda empezar a esta edad y sin saber nada? Por ahora se me ocurrió ir al equipo de mi facultad (derecho UBA) o a uno que según vi juegan en el torneo de rugby formativo de la URBA y hacen entrenamientos abiertos para que la gente se sume.

Buenas! Mira, te soy sincero, cada club es un mundito y la verdad que no conozco las internas de cada uno. Si me decis zona sur lo primero que se me viene a la cabeza es Lomas (athletic), pucara, san albano (este ultimo no recuerdo si es para ex alumnos o algo asi). La urba tiene (o tenia) una pagina donde ponias tu direccion y te tiraba clubes cerca. Tienen que existir muchos. Dame 5 min que la busco.
Sobre lo de la UBA se me ocurren argumentos a favor y en contra. A favor: va a ser mas relajado probablemente. En contra: la gente que va ya sabe lo basico y quizas no sea el mejor lugar para aprender de cero. Igual, proba. No seas timido, mandate. En el peor de los casos no funciona y no volves, no pasa nada.
Lo de los entrenamientos abiertos me parece un golazo no solo para probar, tambien para preguntar (club x la zona, si te conviene uno muy chico o quizas no, etc). Quizas justo te toca algun entrenador de ese club y te puede decir.
Lamento no poder darte respuestas mas concretas pero aca vas a tener que aplicar prueba y error un poco de entrada. Pero ponele voluntad que lo vale.
Ahora te busco el link.
Suerte.

Update for anyone interested on how it went.

I just went to a training to meet the team, and they were all super friendly. First training we did some workout and I could'nt keep up, but after that we trained passing, it was my first time doing so and I guess I did fairly well. Next training we also did workout but this time a little bit less, and I managed to complete it. The next hour and a half we did some passing training and open play drills. They made me play as a winger! Somehow, I look like I can run lol. For what I know, I guess that playing as a winger is a good option for a total newbie like me, since positioning on the field seems easier than in other positions (for now, they made me stick to the line and be the last man to receive the ball).
The general feeling I get is that I really like to play the sport, but I feel that I lack cardio. Also, I couldn't go to two of the weekly trainings because my legs hurt a lot. This week I think I'm going to be able to endure both trainings lol. To be fair, I left the gym in october and hardly did any sports since then.

I also bought a Gilbert rugby ball to practice passes. Any advice on how to practice by myself at home will be much appreciated!

Update for anyone interested on how it went.

I just went to a training to meet the team, and they were all super friendly. First training we did some workout and I could'nt keep up, but after that we trained passing, it was my first time doing so and I guess I did fairly well. Next training we also did workout but this time a little bit less, and I managed to complete it. The next hour and a half we did some passing training and open play drills. They made me play as a winger! Somehow, I look like I can run lol. For what I know, I guess that playing as a winger is a good option for a total newbie like me, since positioning on the field seems easier than in other positions (for now, they made me stick to the line and be the last man to receive the ball).
The general feeling I get is that I really like to play the sport, but I feel that I lack cardio. Also, I couldn't go to two of the weekly trainings because my legs hurt a lot. This week I think I'm going to be able to endure both trainings lol. To be fair, I left the gym in october and hardly did any sports since then.

I also bought a Gilbert rugby ball to practice passes. Any advice on how to practice by myself at home will be much appreciated!
great work, first trainings are always the hardest!

https://broball.co/

these are great for practicing passing (or lineout throwing) on your own, most big brands seem to have a version now days

Bien nene!! Felicitaciones.

Cardio is king! THE #1 skill.
Regarding the practicing thingie, start with the basics.

Passing; I assume you don't have a practice partner (if you do, just trot and pass the ball to each other, endlessly). You'll need a wall. Draw a circle, aim and shoot. That's it. First normal, then spiral. Then from further away. Then walking. Then trotting, Then running. Remember, inside arm sets the direction, outer arm spins. Also, when you train with other people you do not aim at the player (unless he is standing). You aim at where he is going to be. This is very, very important.

There is a special type of ball for this (see pic below). Doesnt affect the passing that much and makes the bouncing back from the wall much easier and predictable. You dont need it really, but just for you to know what is possible.

Try kicking the ball high and catching (regular ball, not the one below!). If that seems to easy kick higher and grabthe ball with your feet off the ground.

When they teach you how to tackle at training, listen carefully. Technique is key.

Congrats again and best of luck.

1710234871697.png

Update:

Sunday is my first game! I've been training for a month and a half now. Coach said he needs me, at least to play some minutes. I'll be playing as a winger and, to be honest, I have some doubts regarding winger positioning, mostly on blind side. Any advice you can give me will be very welcomed.
From what I know, I guess the overall idea in scrums and lineouts is to be behind the fly-half and then go with the player that gets the ball (probably a centre), and be an option for a pass or join the ruck if he's tackled. I'm not quite sure how to reposition after that.
I feel more confident when I'm on the line, and I get the basics of defense. But I guess there is no better way to learn that to step into the field and play.

Enjoy it. Ask you team mates to point where you need to be. But most of all have fun, you'll pick up the rest as you go.

Latest posts