• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Playing for 3rd and 4th place

D

diehardkiwi07

I dont see the point in playing for these postitions should only be 1 winner take all.

Opinions please?

Both teams contesting that game will probably agree with you, but I certainly don`t. It`s a rugby test match, between 2 damn good sides. Plus, with the pressure off, we`re likely to see some really good attacking, running rugby.

Both teams contesting that game will probably agree with you, but I certainly don`t. It`s a rugby test match, between 2 damn good sides. Plus, with the pressure off, we`re likely to see some really good attacking, running rugby.
[/b]
I've never been interested in these games - even in '99 when we beat the Kiwis to the bronze. Sure they're internationals and caps get awarded but clearly the players don't look forward to them the same way they do other internationals. Don't believe most supporters do either. Very anti-climactic. Scrap 'em, I say.

I dont see the point in playing for these postitions should only be 1 winner take all.

Opinions please?
[/b]

Probably all well and good in the Corinthian, amateur, days but now past its sell-by date. Time to scrap it.

I always watch the third place play off, because it's usually the chance, as BokMagic says, to watch a game of rugby between two top flight international teams.

It's also a nice appetiser for the final. I mean, let's face it, the World Cup is a damn long tournament and waiting another week to see just one game isn't great, especially if your team isn't even playing. If you chuck in the third place play off the day before you at least get two matches in the final week.

Keep it, I say, no harm in doing so - more rugby is never a bad thing!

nobody cares who comes second let alone third. I think it only holds interest if your team is playing and even then not for long. everyone is focused on the final and seeing who wins not who wins out of the also rans. I see no problem in scraping it.

Who the hell would want to?
I'd put a fair bet on saying Argentina would want to.
I mean 3rd in the world? These guys are constantly trying to prove their worth to the rugby world - this would just hlp their cause.

Good idea, i say.

I didn't even realise it existed until last Rugby World Cup when we had to playoff for 3rd. I don't see no harm in keeping it in at least both teams get to play without all the pressure.

I mean 3rd in the world? These guys are constantly trying to prove their worth to the rugby world - this would just hlp their cause.

Good idea, i say.
[/b]
Dunno about that. Pichot's "For us the World Cup is over" comment after the semifinal loss tells us different. Usually the fringe squad players all get a run in this game and it's quite forgettable.
NZ vs France 2003, SA vs NZ 1999, England vs France 1995, all full international matches but terribly lacklustre. I can't get excited about them

If you just watched that 3rd place playoff, i don't think that calling them lackluster is justified - excitement from start to finish

Five tries for Argentina cap a great tournament for them. And well done to them.

Yep. Both teams REALLY wanted to win this one. Lots of ****le, lots of action. If you didnt watch this, you missed a great game.

The scoreline doesnt reflect the game. It could have been a lot closer.

Probably all well and good in the Corinthian, amateur, days but now past its sell-by date. Time to scrap it.
[/b]

What a great game. Past its sell-by date??? What was I thinking??

Yep. Both teams REALLY wanted to win this one.
[/b]

I have to disagree with you a little bit, there. France didn't seem to be in the game anymore in the second half, making weak attempts to stop try-runners and missing passes and kicks galore. Can't really blame them, though, the frustration must have been hectic.

Good idea, i say.
[/b]

I agree

here rugby is an growing sport, and we just want to get as high as possible :D

[/b]
Agree, also because of their "personal" duel...

The 3rd place play-off might seem stale to some fans, but to neutrals it is a great chance to see some stunning rugby, as shown by Argentina yesterday.

It is also an opportunity for the media and authorities to say they finished highly in the Rugby World Cup. Instead of saying "Rugby World Cup semi-finalists" they can say "3rd place in the Rugby World Cup", which sounds, but not necessarily is, better.