• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pods

daf1999

Academy Player
Anybody ever noticed a difference between the 3 tactical pod systems in the game?

I've played all 3 extensively but not really noticed any difference...

I'm working on the line depth and width to play my strategies. Still don't understand what the pods do... Apparently they're about forward play or back play, or maybe combinations (?), but I'm not certain

I tried to use pods, the receiver just runs to far ahead isolating himself which makes it not useful at all. I think it's a bit of a gimmick.

Did you try to use it combined with a kick pass? Do wingers also run ahead?

I'm asking this because each time I've tried to kick pass, my wingers were just too far behind, and the opposition wingers or fullback would be the ones to catch the ball. It worked once, but that was a bomb... so yeah, not that effective if the opposition is good under high balls.

I also suppose that's because of the flawed game engine. Players would be hella fast for no reason at all if that allows them to catch the ball. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the game's being overly biased against me, especially near the try line. It does not make it any more difficult to win, but things get pretty frustrating.

I've tried many times to do the Beauden Barrett chip over the top for the winger and it doesn't quite work due to the computer AI. Very frustrating.

Agreed

However chip kicks or grubbers from Beauden to himself work pretty well in my case. My character has max acceleration and 98% top speed (pretty accurate) so it's no wonder that he can back himself.
Beaudy is already OP in real life so that's not cheating I guess :p

To quickly advance the ball beyond the gain line, I would work deep and wide near the center of the field to break through easily, then flat and wide near the 22. Against easy opposition, I usually add the fullback when in opposition 22 to score even faster. Against the Saders or any NH side with a very good defence and/or annoying loosies, I narrow down my line width and work flat in my 22 to maximize chances to keep possession and prevent them from gaining too much territory. Rush defence is a nice tactic to shut down any attempt from the opposition at kicking the ball behind your players or on the sides. But you certainly know this already!

Well, forget what I said. I just achieved a cross kick and I've got to say it's pretty satisfying when it works so well.

Cross kicks are a possible thing, and they're quite easy to achieve if you use the following settings:

- Deep positioning. Obviously your first receiver will be subject to a lot of pressure if he is too flat behind a ruck/maul/scrum/lineout. You want to put him deeper, especially against a rushing defense.
- Wide positioning. You can't really control the positioning of each and every player, but a wide line of attack will ensure that your wings aren't marked.
- Use a punt and not an up and under. While a bomb allows you to follow the ball in order to catch it, your opponents will also be able to regroup under the ball to contest it. Trust a low trajectory kick to beat the man.
- Easier done when many players are involved and massively gathered at a certain location on the field, so don't hesitate to commit lots of players to the ruck.
- A first five (or first receiver) who has a good boot. Maximize the odds by increasing your general kicking stats.
- You also have to pay attention to the defensive patterns of your opposition. Either notice how they work in each zone (defensive zone, mid-zone, attacking zone) or just have a look at their tactics. In-game vision should be the most important thing though. Just a quick look at mismatches or huges gaps in the defense will enable you to act accordingly. Just like real life though, defenses will generally be tighter when they defend in their 22. This is when you want to go for the jugular.

Train hard and enjoy!

PS: Sorry for the poor vid quality. I don't know how to capture in-game videos.

Wow, bro, amazing. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I think I'll be spending some time to learn ;)

Well, forget what I said. I just achieved a cross kick and I've got to say it's pretty satisfying when it works so well.

Cross kicks are a possible thing, and they're quite easy to achieve if you use the following settings:

- Deep positioning. Obviously your first receiver will be subject to a lot of pressure if he is too flat behind a ruck/maul/scrum/lineout. You want to put him deeper, especially against a rushing defense.
- Wide positioning. You can't really control the positioning of each and every player, but a wide line of attack will ensure that your wings aren't marked.
- Use a punt and not an up and under. While a bomb allows you to follow the ball in order to catch it, your opponents will also be able to regroup under the ball to contest it. Trust a low trajectory kick to beat the man.
- Easier done when many players are involved and massively gathered at a certain location on the field, so don't hesitate to commit lots of players to the ruck.
- A first five (or first receiver) who has a good boot. Maximize the odds by increasing your general kicking stats.
- You also have to pay attention to the defensive patterns of your opposition. Either notice how they work in each zone (defensive zone, mid-zone, attacking zone) or just have a look at their tactics. In-game vision should be the most important thing though. Just a quick look at mismatches or huges gaps in the defense will enable you to act accordingly. Just like real life though, defenses will generally be tighter when they defend in their 22. This is when you want to go for the jugular.

Train hard and enjoy!

PS: Sorry for the poor vid quality. I don't know how to capture in-game videos.

Use Fraps ;)

Kick pass, another one

feat. the 2018 Canes jersey, or at least a poor attempt at creating it

keyshot6 2017-12-08 00-10-42-95.jpg keyshot6 2017-12-08 00-11-38-16.jpg

The pods works very well for me. You'll notice that you have more forwards in your running lines depending on your pods. If you play with a quick and speedy loose trio this is perfect.
When I'm in the opposition 22, I tend to keep with my 4/4 for backline play only.
That being said, depending on your pods, some backline players might be in rucks, so you need to wait for them to reposition, it takes around 2-3 phases usually.
If you're scrumhalf is not at each ruck, you need to improve his fitness stats and passing/ I've noticed that this influences the number of rucks my scrumhalf is the designated passer alot.

The pods works very well for me. You'll notice that you have more forwards in your running lines depending on your pods. If you play with a quick and speedy loose trio this is perfect.
When I'm in the opposition 22, I tend to keep with my 4/4 for backline play only.
That being said, depending on your pods, some backline players might be in rucks, so you need to wait for them to reposition, it takes around 2-3 phases usually.
If you're scrumhalf is not at each ruck, you need to improve his fitness stats and passing/ I've noticed that this influences the number of rucks my scrumhalf is the designated passer alot.
Good to know ;)

Latest posts